Archinect
anchor

Pro-Bono Work (Local Florida Chapter of Architecture for Humanity)

We are on the verge of working with a non-profit(Habitat for Humanity) to do some pro-bono work to revamp and add to their offices. Personally, I didn't think it would be very ethical for us to do this, because they are a world wide organization that can obviously pay for our services.

So, I'm trying to work out a deal with the local director that we will keep track of the time we put forth on the project, and at the end of the project we will basically tell them what our services would have cost. That money will then be transfered from their operating budget to the budget of one of their homes. Does this sound fair? Does this make it ethical?

Satisfied me.

By the way, we are now just 3 people, and looking for more. I am a little worried that we could be overwhelmed. Also, none of us are registered architects, so we would appreciate if we could get the guidance of a professional that is willing to give us some advice as we move through the project.

Thanks, look forward to reading your responses, and contact me directly. I would appreciate it.

Aug 26, 07 7:18 pm
Tony Snow

What is your specific ethical problem with doing pro bono work for Habitat? I don't understand why your budget conditions are useful if you believe Habitat is a well-run, efficient charitable organization.

Anyways it's your time, you can do what you want with it.

Aug 26, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

well, this is definitely a difficult situation. i might talk with cameron about ways that something like this could be handled. he'll probably have a very good suggestion as the best way to structure it.

Aug 26, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Yea I've been posed with this problem before having done pro-bono work for Habitat for Humanity doing model converting on of their pre-designed plans into a variety of other building materials (concrete, stone, etc).

I didn't take a fee, but in hindsight this much is true. To work on a project costs money, doubly so in fact. It is time working on something without a fee, time that you could be spending on another project. I know you are perhaps thinking that opening doors and possibilities but you really need to assess what expenses you are going to incur.

My suggestion would be to calculate your time, resources to be used and offer it to Habitat without profit (you need to add 10% for increases, inflation, etc). This allows you to get the best of both the opportunities and to offer a service to the community.

my 0.02c

Aug 26, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

bump

Aug 27, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Aug 27, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: