Archinect
anchor

Representative or Statistically Insignificant?

BabbleBeautiful

Would you consider the members of this board, their attitudes towards their profession and life as an architect representative of the architects of American or no?

have at it

Aug 23, 07 12:19 pm
el jeffe

i'd consider the members of archinect being representative of archinect.

Aug 23, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

that can't be totally true, we have plenty of international archinectors on here. the site doesn't say "archinect, america".

Aug 23, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Well, I think it represents archinect. Personally I don't share several of my opinions or ideas out of courtesy. I know they would only start a flame war or name calling. For the most part, however, I see eye to eye with 90% of the folks on here.

Yeah, I guess I could have said "I don't know."

Aug 23, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

one could argue it's representative of an insignificant proportionin america, statistically speaking.

Aug 23, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not even entirely representative of myself on archinect. While I share a lot with you guys, I tend to keep the harsher of my opinions to myself. So, I'd hesitate to say we're terribly representative of much here.

Aug 23, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
postal

yet our site has influenced others, had an impact, pops up on google, and though we may not entirely be representative of our personal selves... as a collective, we are something. an amalgam of half truths.

but i don't think that was the questions intent... i'm not sure what percentage of our profession thinks like the members of archinect... i would venture to say 80% of students of arch think like us... and 20% of 50+ year old architects may associate us. but that's just my guess, which is as good as anybody's.

i certainly think with the variety of ideas and opinions expressed here that no one would want to be "represented" by such a community.

(the opinions expressed in the post above are not representative of archinect, the owners of archinect, or that of their sponsors)

Aug 23, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

I know that was the direction of the question, but my point was that if we're not even representative of ourselves (as myself and rfuller have both attested to), how can we be very representative of the architecture community?

Aug 23, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most architects aren't nearly as cool as me.

Aug 23, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I will agree with vado's statement.

Aug 23, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
digger

while not necessarily wanting to start a flaming argument, I would suggest that archinect isn't nearly as representative of the whole profession (in the US, at least) as would be the case with the AIA.

A relatively high proportion of the licensed professionals in the US are members of AIA ... my sense is that a relatively low proportion of the people who lurk here are members of AIA, whereas (as evidenced by the age, location, occupation? thread) a fairly large percentage of people here are students, unlicensed or fairly young.

Aug 23, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

What are the phrases?

TWAGOS (take with a grain of salt)
YMMV (your mileage may vary)
AFAIK (as far as I know)

I don't rep. anybody but myself ...

But inre: the readers and writers of archinect, remember those who do one might not do the other.

The other thing is that I'm always surprised by who does, and who doesn't read and contribute - I know tons of other people in school when I was a student who hadn't even heard of it, others who claimed to never look at it, and still others who went out of their way to trash it as gossipy, bitchy, and geeky (guilty as charged). But then you see the most unlikey people crop up (hi, Mark Wigley!), and I'm sure that readership and participation are always growing.

Aug 23, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

... and I'd say (although this might sound a little dogmatic) that any consensus reached on archinect is precisely not the point. What's way more valuable to me here are the differences in opinion, background, and outlook.

We're not trying to tap the zeitgeist here, we're trying to find out what other people are doing.

Aug 23, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

WITPOTT? (What is the point of this thread?)

Aug 23, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

to know is delusion and to not know is confusion...thankfully archinect is feeling

Aug 24, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

[i]huh?[i]

Aug 24, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I am not entirely representative of myself either... high five!

Aug 25, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: