Archinect
anchor

Not getting paid

joshua

I am 28 and unable to attend architecture school due to scheduling conflicts with my wife's school and our son. I recently decided that architecture is something I could spend the rest of my life doing and am determined to focus on beggining that path.
My concerns are my inability to draw,my lack of related experience and my age.
Options-
#1-Finish BA in an accelerated over-priced program one night a week that will leave me with a business degree that i don't really need, meanwhile I could beg a local firm to let me get them coffee 2 1/2 hours, 3 days a week while my son is in school and then attempt to somehow get into an March without a related degree or ability to draw.

#2-Work in fine dining the rest of my life.

#3 adhere to some cleverly hatched escape plan formed by vado,mighty little and some combination of living in gin and rationalist.

#4 ?

Aug 23, 07 2:38 am
blah

#2-Work in fine dining the rest of my lif

pays better and involves camaraderie and alcohol

;-)

Aug 23, 07 4:03 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Meta, you sound like an awesomely nice person. But I can't imagine that makes for great carrear advice -- it's like suggesting the way to become an artist is to find a patron. there just aren't enough to go arond.

Joshua -- I was 29 when I decided I had to be an architect, and just married as well (no kids yet though). Three years later, and I'm still working on it -- and will be for at least three more years (school + intern). And I had a college degree already when I decided.

The point is, you need a long term game plan. If you figure ten years from starting school to liscencure, you can cut up your time managably. Perhaps you work like a dog and sve for two years so that you can take a year off to finish your college degree at a good and affordable school. And in the meantime, take up drawing (and scripting) as a regular hobby. That get's you three to four years out from now with a bachelors and a solid portfolio. Add six for MArch and intern, and you are there, just before you turn 40, and people are actually interested in trusting you to build something that won't fall down.

Aug 23, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the problem with starting late is that more often than not, real life gets in the way. i started at 28 as were most of my coclassmates. we were all very different people. some were very grounded and knew what they wanted. others were just getting exposed to it all and the journey offered many different paths. most of the people who were in relationships at the beginning were not with the same people by the end. if you really want it go for it. but as others have said, go find an office that will let you work part time or at least shadow them to see if its really what you want. cuz it aint like the movies or the tv shows for most of us.

Aug 23, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

How much will your wife be making once she finishes school? That may give you the opportunity to go back to school full-time later....

Also, shadowing/part-time work in a firm is a must - make sure this really is what you want to do before you scheme up a plan to do it.

And finishing the BA is probably a good idea, too, if it fits on your budget and schedule.

Aug 23, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

as for the "age" question -- I love to interview recent graduates who have chosen architecture or interior design as a second phase of their career -- they almost alway work out to be good members of the firm -- this is because they typically bring maturity, passion, common sense and an understanding of the working world to the table.

if it's what you must do, do it -- you will find a way to be successful.

good luck

Aug 23, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

I think we could improve on #1 a bit....

"#1-Finish BA in an accelerated over-priced program one night a week that will leave me with a business degree that i don't really need, meanwhile I could beg a local firm to let me get them coffee 2 1/2 hours, 3 days a week while my son is in school and then attempt to somehow get into an March without a related degree or ability to draw."

Does this mean that you are in the middle of your BA right now, or that you're going back for a second one? You left this out of your set-up, so I missed something. If it's your first degree, then finish. If it's a second degree, and business isn't what you want to do, then maybe consider not finishing. Also, remember that architecture firms need to be managed, too. Mine has had a hell of a time finding a decent secretary-cum-office-manager, and we're probably not alone in this. So you could try to get a job at an architecture firm in an office manager or marketing type role, which would let you see what goes on there enough to help decide whether the M.Arch path is really worth it.

Aug 23, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Gurr rationalist, why do you have to be so...

rational...

Aug 23, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

joshua - what do you do in fine dining?

Aug 23, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

joshua - I'm just shy of 30yrs similar to you. Always knew I wanted to be an architect since I was about 5 years old, so naturally went to college right out of high school and to work right after getting my degree. Outside from some summer jobs all I know is architecture.

While this path has worked well for me, there are times when I have a longing for other experiences. That has much to do with my slow move towards the project management part of this profession. Anyway, don't worry about your age because ten years from now all of us will have different thoughts about what/where they want to go with their lives. Heck, by then I could be back 100% into design or out of architecture completely. We'll see where things take us, right?

My advise is to go into a BArch program full time and get your degree ASAP, but of course life situations make that tough. Best of luck to you - maybe someday we'll cross paths in this crazy profession.

Aug 23, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
joshua

mightylittle- I am the bartender/wine dork at a prime steakhouse.

makearchitecture-no argument that it "pays better and involves camaraderie and alcohol" but at the end of the day I bring people their food and drinks.pretty unfufilling work. Kinda depressing. not healthy to be depressed and then go get hammered every night after work.

vado-If i get big and famous like mies or corb i can buy alain mikli glasses and a MB smartcar and live in a floating blue loft with pretty furniture then it'll be just like the movies. No not really..it's not really ever like the movies is it? I've worked in five restaurants and never showed a co-worker my testes like in the movie waiting. I just want to do something useful with my time. So i help design building that go in the trash, so the hours suck but at the end of the day maybe a few designs are built and I can look at them and think..that is my work.I can drive past with my son and say...look daddy helped design that. As it is now I can look at alcoholics or over-weight people with shitty heart health and think...hey I see them alot at my work. I can watch my 3 year old son idolize the fact that people make their food selections through me. I'll admit that him taking everyones food orders before dinner is cute because i love him but it's really not good for the soul.

Aug 26, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
joshua

Sorry I got a little worked up there..most of that is not directly aimed at you vado I'm obviously frustrated a bit.
So...
Does anyone know anything about Elliot& Associates(e-a-a.com) in okc?
I read somewhere that they have won 10 national AIA honor awards..that seems like a pretty big deal for little old OKC huh?

Aug 26, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
soleil

hey joshua
don't let your age worry you - the best students i knew while i was a student and while i was a prof were often older - they were the most driven and efficient b/c they had to be. they brought real perspective to studio and the support classes but they also thrived on the dreamy optimism of the fresh out of high school set. you'll have to do some figuring as far as financing goes seeing as how its not just you and your lady you've got to watch out for but you'll find that there is a lot of money to be had as far as grants and scholarships go. seriously tons of cash - just talk to ppl in administation and if someone isn't helpful, go find someone else. remember, as far as a university is concerned you are helping the diversity of the experience that they can offer the majority of their applicants. many schools also have accelerated programs for students with bachelors degrees in another (unrelated) field. University of Florida School of Architecture has whats called the Core Program - 4 years that culminates in an M. Arch. I'm sure other schools offer similar programs.

as far as drawing skills go, they are helpful but they are not the end all. Many of the best freehand drawings produced in my studio were by students who 'couldn't draw'. You just need someone to walk you through the how and not let yourself get caught up in drawing what you think you see. Technical drawing/drafting is a skill that can be learned. They don't call us cadmonkeys for nothing!

how much longer are you talkin' on that business degree? architects are typ. not such great business people...most likely you are learning useful information that will be a commodity in your architecture career

btw, the oldest student i taught was beginning his bachelor of design at age 52 after 30 years in construction - he and his daughter started college the same year. he used to tell me that they would complain about their professors to eachother when she called home!

good luck!!

Aug 26, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
joshua

funny story and great advice. thanks.
The degree program I am looking into is a 13 month program that is one night a week to get from 60 credits to a degree. businss is just one of four options. I would prefer the ful Barch,March experience but my wife will be in clinicals for the next two years. The Ba then March puts us graduating pretty close and not me just waiting for her to finish.

Aug 27, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

joshua: Remember through your restaurant job you are also showing your son that supporting his mother while she pursues her career is a good thing to do because you love both her and him. My father always said the best thing a father can do for his kids is love their mother. He'll understand it when he's older.

And again, if your wife is doing "clinicals" I'm guessing she's doing something medical related? After a couple years in the field in can be her turn to bring home the bills while you pursue your MArch. In the meantime, do get the BA, and keep reading here on archinect for lots of info about the profession.

Aug 27, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 
joshua

yeah...nursing. so what would the best way to familiarize myself with some design programs on the cheap and indie?

Aug 28, 07 2:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What do you mean by "programs": schools or software?

For schools, look at the websites of the individual schools, knowing that they are marketing tools, and then read the school blogs here. Also, if you guys are staying in the same city after your wife's graduation, go visit whatever school is nearby that offers an architecture program (go do this anyway if there is one nearby).

Aug 28, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
joshua

er..software i mean. Just so I have some idea what the hell you guys are chatting about vectors and nectors and F1 hatred and such. I downloded the free sketchup but now I have a macbook and i don't know what to diddy with.I think that I ill end up at Oklahoma State it is near us and from what I have heard it is well respected school. There aren't really any schools around here with blogs...although I have enjoyed reading about the 30 something lady at PSU.

Aug 28, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: