Archinect
anchor

Farnsworth House Visit Help

squaresville

Hi,

I plan on going next weekend however I am not keen on having to rent a car just to make the day trip out there. I will probably end up doing that but it's a hassel going to get the car and then return it etc.etc.

Does anyone have any information about taking the train out to Plano and then either taking a cab to the House or maybe a bike ride to the house. Does this seem crazy, cause I might just get a car for the day? In other words is a car the only best way to do it?

Thanks

Aug 22, 07 1:38 pm
myriam

This is crazy, get a car. There aren't any cabs in Plano. The house is down some random road anyway. You could maybe bike it, I have no clue where the train is located. If you are going with a friend the train will prolly be more expensive than renting the car and splitting it anyway. Also train schedules to places like that on the weekend suck.

Aug 22, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

Yeah, pony up for the car.

Aug 22, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
TED

its a pretty drive. that farmland area of illinois is some of the best - if your just interested in getting there, taking snaps [which i understand you cant do anymore] why bother - just look at it online.

call ahead before you go out this weekend - the fox may flood!

you might go see if jake and elwood are hanging around on your way

Aug 22, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
squaresville

thanks.

Aug 22, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
squaresville

actually it might be nice/interesting to be there during a flood. i also would love to see it in the dead of winter covered in snow. but going back to the flood the site has flooded but i dont think the water has ever overtaken the pilotis and gotten to the floor of the house.

i could be wrong, just like with the whole take a train and cab it thing. ha

Aug 22, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

when i was on the tour they said that there was a big flood (might have been in the early 90s) that went well above the finish floor of the house. the british owner of the house at the time luckily ponied up to restore the place.

Aug 22, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

rent the car.

i visited in march '97 and it was in repair from being flooded the previous spring. the guide mentioned that things were ok until one of the windows shattered from the water pressure carrying most of the contents (including all freestanding furniture) down the fox. the cool thing however was that i got to take photos inside, they didn't care because most everything was trashed. have some good shots of where the waterstains were on the drapes, about 5' above the floor...

Aug 22, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
postal

cool story emaze, you should flickr those. or 'nect gallery them.

...should another flood occur, brad pitt's jeans may just save the day.

Aug 22, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

sorry to share without posting pics. back in the day before using digital, i'll have to find, scan, and post...

Aug 22, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the british owner being lord pulumbo, who at the time owened wright's kentuck knob and a corbu apartment?

Aug 22, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Aug 22, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

yes holz. didn't know he owned a corb apt too.

Aug 22, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

he owned the maisons jaoul, it looks like he's since sold it...

Aug 22, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you could save the car rental and just look at the pics on flickr. its just like going there.

Aug 22, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
beth99ny

The Chicago Architecture Foundation has a bus tour that takes you out there: Farnsworth House PLUS By Bus

Bushttp://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=23

Aug 24, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

you cant take photos of it? Thats bullshit. Its partly supported by state and federal funds. If thats true, f*ck the farnsworth house - let it rot. Theres another mies house in Elmhurst just 15-20 min west of dtown

Aug 24, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

you can take exterior photos but not interior.

just hide your camera in a bag or baggy coat with a hole cut in it. what are they going to do if they catch you, ban you for life from the farnsworth house?.. 'oh dear, what will i do if i can't frequently come back and see this special hidden c-channel weld that the great mies came up with.. i can never be a great architect now!'.. please. i'd ask my 'ban for life for unauthorized photography' in writing so i can frame it and display it.

make sure you don't need a reservation:
http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/visitor.htm

Aug 24, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
archetype

isn't it currently surrounded by flood waters?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6875332,00.html

Aug 25, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
TED

sorry blairs wrong again - says on farsworth website will open tues 4 sept - when will blair check his sources~

Sep 2, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
TED

brad sez --"see you when the waters reside!"

Sep 2, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

when people read architecture critics' articles TED

Sep 2, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: