Archinect
anchor

what do you drive?

whistler

Summertime - Kona King Mt. Bike
Wintertime Atomic RS11 X-C skate skis
All Year long audi A4 Avant / Nissan Pathfinder

New office location in my new house..... slippers (actually birkenstocks)

Aug 22, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

Winter: Toyo Tacoma, 4 Door, 33" Super Swampers

Summer: Diamondback Ascent Full Suspension

Aug 22, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

today

tomorrow

Aug 22, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

fro I used to own a 64 122 four door sedan....

Aug 22, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

07 honda element

Aug 22, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rottnme

2000 Olds Alero - POS 23-27mpg
2003 Nissan Murano - (wife's car, highly reccomended) 20ish mpg
2003 Kawasaki z1000 - 28-45mpg (depends on the fun factor)

Aug 22, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I get chaufeured.

Aug 22, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

2007 Powder Blue Jaguar....
...sike...

Aug 22, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

so ... strawbeary ... would that be in a bus or on a train ?

Aug 22, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

(my husband drops me off)

Aug 22, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i roll in a '99 corolla, which i purchased after my '94 corolla's tranny 'sploded when the odometer hit 265k.

Aug 22, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i drive drunk

Aug 22, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

modified with kevlar slicks for the urban jungle.

Aug 22, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well this thread will come in handy for the next question about how much money architects make...

Aug 22, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

hahaha vado...

Aug 22, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

2000 Mustang/2005 Trek 4300

Aug 22, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Paul,

My very first Mt. Bike was a Bianchi but that was like 1982/83 ( first year of design school) I have never seen another one since then, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but a little bold of them putting on the World Champion strips when I suspect no World Champion Mt. Biker has ever won on a Bianchi ride.

Aug 22, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

17 year old BMW 325i E30. Stick shift only!!

My previous (first) car was also a 17 year of BMW 316i E30. They are the most amazing cars to drive (think speedy go cart on the freeway!) No bells, no whistles, just damn good driving fun!!

Aug 22, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

2007 mini cooper,

silver...

Aug 22, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

whistler - french rider julien absalon won the 2006 mountain bike world championship on the bianchi oetzi worlds, the bike i ride, as posted above. i ride a kona dawg when i'm on the trails and a specialized tarmac pro when i'm road riding on the weekend. i've always been a kona fan (since riding as a little kid in bc), but my bianchi is the nicest city bike i've ever ridden.

Aug 22, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Aug 22, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Francisco David Boira what size rims are one those wheels. Sweet ride by the way - and that IS my next ride.

previously mentioned about the civic hyrbids, I've noticed alot of architects with german cars particularly bmws or vws...thoughts?

Aug 23, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Paul,

Thanks I did not know that!

Aug 23, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I ride a Specialized Hardrock Comp to and from school. My truck is already listed above.

Aug 23, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i knew a guy with a bmw, that damn thing spent more time in the shop than on the road. i'll steer clear.

Aug 23, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
rira

at home: 99 mazda demio

at college: black birkenstock gizehs rain or shine

Aug 23, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

love my 2005 Mini Cooper! Best car ever!

Aug 23, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

blue jean baby, LA ladly

Aug 23, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

*LA Lady

Aug 23, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, I've been resisting doing this, because I hate the notion that we somehow define ourselves by what we drive, that our cars "say something" about us.

But while pondering it yesterday (while driving), I came to a realization: I don't drive this car because of what it "says", I drive it for the driving experience! It's an awesome fun car to drive, I've always preferred the low, tight-to-the-road, quick-shifting, outdoor experience of a little sports car to the sitting-high-up, brute power of a truck or SUV. This little Miata is fun to drive, I'm closely connected to the road (and the weather), it has no computers to decide when to shift or tell me what the ambient temperature is or to "check my engine". It does, however, tell me what my RPMs are, which is much more important.

The only other car that has given me this quality of driving experience was our former '68 MGB-GT, but it wasn't reliable (and wasn't a convertible).

So here it is, my little 15-year-old Miata. My husband painted it with a Mini blue this summer, and added the backwards grand touring stripes as a little "beauty mark". I was perfectly happy driving it with (15-year-old Miata Annoying Blue paint and lots of dents - apparently my husband is more concerned with what my car "says" than I am - though I do admit, it looks really nice, in fact, I'm embarrassed to be driving a car that looks this pretty!

Angus doesn't actually ride back there on the deck, he's always strapped into his car seat - he was just having fun while mommy was making a quick site visit.)

Aug 23, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura
I'm closely connected to the road (and the weather), it has no computers to decide when to shift or tell me what the ambient temperature is or to "check my engine". It does, however, tell me what my RPMs are, which is much more important.

This reminds me of a recent conversation I had about driving before the days of cell phones. How did we manage road trips across the desolate rural lanscape without those ammenities? When our cars broke down we waited for help....or walked.

Back then if I wanted to know the temperature outside I'd open the window. If I wanted to know what direction I was going I'd look at a map, or pull out a scouting compass. In the country we listened to country music since that's all they had on the radio and we didn't have CD players or satellite radio. Only conversion vans had any kind of TV in them, and that was for the few at that.

All this wasn't that long ago either....and the trips were more fun back then.

Aug 23, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a big ass float...

Aug 23, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

that house needs a window

Aug 23, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

maybe it fell out mdler, it was all the window detail

Aug 23, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

indy's property taxes are so high now, they had to sell the window.

Aug 23, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

so no other bio-diesel people?

Aug 23, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

I hate to say it LB, but pretty cute car. The blue is smashing.

Aug 23, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

miata's rule, mazda rules

Aug 23, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"in fact, I'm embarrassed to be driving a car that looks this pretty!"

LB, you wanna trade with my piece-of-crap '92 toyota celica. Its also low to the ground, lacks all the trappings of sophisticated gadgets and meters, and extremely fun to drive...!!!

Aug 23, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

I think Orhan rolls in style.

(Not my) 1991 318is.

Mine is identifiable by missing trim, a bumper that doesn't quite fit correctly below the driver side headlight, and the non-functioning tail light(s).

.mm

Aug 23, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

or

Haven't taken the train in 4 months.

Aug 23, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

anyone know how to make flickr images not so jagged when you reduce them by the width tag? heh.

Aug 23, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
dia

My Alfa Romeo is the nemesis of the BMW.

Aug 23, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

hey johnprolly were you at the Levee earlier this week, tuesday maybe? i think i saw that second bike there out front

Aug 24, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Yeah I was there. Stephen's bianchi and Austins Brooklyn was locked to mine.

Aug 24, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
med.
Aug 24, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's a beautiful station, Archmed - should I recognize it? It seems familiar...

Aug 24, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh yeah, it's Federal Triangle on the blue line in DC. All the stations in that general area look about the same ... you known with the tunnels and the coffered surfaces that follow all the way to the track surface.

My favorite one is the Metro Center.

A few months ago, my car died somewhere in the mountains. It was 9 years old, had 200k miles on it, and took a few good licks in its lifetime so it was expected at some point. It's okay though, it gave me a good opportunity to use mass transit. One less car on the road, right?

Aug 24, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

that's in D.C., right?

Aug 24, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yep!

Aug 24, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: