Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

holz.box

my lack of work is causing me to die a little more inside...

Jul 8, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

it's awfully pattern-y. kinda glad i don't know this one. not that i've known the ones i think are beautiful...

Jul 8, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

The impressions were originally meant to hold public art works, the city its located in is notorious for its "arts" industry.

Jul 8, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I cant seem to find any images of it from the front plaza, i guess its more obscure than i thought.

Jul 8, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

looks like something LAB would do but i don't see it on their site

Jul 8, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I am guessing South American, Korean or Chinese... I have never seen it though.

Jul 8, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

a surprise enterprise!

Jul 8, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

any more clues?

Jul 9, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

modified double-wide ?

Jul 9, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

SDR you are pretty close. here it is;

*one of the more succesfull manufactured housing enterprises of 40's and early 50's was konrad wachsmann's universal system of industrialized buildings components. with the goal of producing and and marketing prefabricated modern homes, k. wachsmann and walter gropious founded general panel corporation in new york andin 1942 and in los angeles in 1947. a major article in the nov. 1947 issue of arts & architecture magazine documented the venture and its production plant, housed in a former aircraft factory in burbank, ca. faced with financial obstacles, the company produced altogether only 150-200 'general panel' houses and was dissolved in 1952.

* from 'blueprints for modern living, history and legacy of the case study houses' edited by; elizabeth a. t. smith, mit press.

Jul 9, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

did we get apurimac's one? I'm guessing China - random guess: Qingyun Ma - it has that kind of OMA vibe.

Jul 9, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

From the 1947 A+A magazine article mentioned in "Blueprints. . ." :

"The General Panel system of construction is based on the manufacture of industrialized building elements. These elements consist of load-bearing, standardized panels and such additional parts as fillerstrips, columns and joists. They constitute the supporting as well as the enclosing members of the structure. Not only exterior and interior walls, but also Hoors, ceilings, roofs, and even trusses, are composed of these elements.

The panels are completely finished in the shop with all windows, doors, glazing, hardware, insulation and wiring installed. In fact, any detail which may occur in a building is incorporated. The old distinction between "rough" and "finished" construction is eliminated.

The building elements are joined together by a unique method of connection. Every part, of whatever nature, is put together with the same device called the "wedge connector." This method of connection, shown on page thirty, is, furthermore, three dimensional because it is exactly the same, whether horizontal or vertical members are joined together. With the General Panel joint it is not necessary to know beforehand which panel goes into which part of a building. That the uniformity of the edge and the connection have great usefulness for the manufacturer need not be emphasized."

Jul 9, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Captions to the first illustration:

"Wedge connectors, which are spaced 3'-4" apart through all vertical and horizontal joints, consist of four stamped steel parts and four die cast wedges which are shop inserted into the framing."

"In the assembly, three parts are first nested together, the fourth is then driven home with a hammer. The diagrams above show how, by means of an asymmetrical edge, it is possible to effect any desired combination, whereby all elements are interchangeable and surfaces are flush after assembly."

Jul 9, 08 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Hello? Apurimac?

Jul 9, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

He's been totally swept away by the brilliance of Konrad Wachsmann; don't expect to hear back for at least a week. . .

Jul 9, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

holy cow...
Dafen Art Museum, Shenzhen, by Urbanus architecture and design.

Jul 10, 08 3:11 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

this one revives a line of postings from earlier in this thread, but serves a different function...

i think this one might be tricky...

Jul 10, 08 3:19 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

bump

Jul 10, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

that's a really great interior shot.

i feel like i have seen this, or something that looks very similar.

is it spanish?

Jul 10, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

it looks like the church in sleepy hollow

Jul 10, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

definitely not in spain... the scale of that thing is messing w/ my head...

Jul 10, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

was this in a thread (which i can't find) about pitched roofs with no eaves?

Jul 10, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

the landscape looks dutch, or maybe danish.

Jul 10, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dread,

the pitched roof, eaveless postings were further back in this thread. i think like 10 pages or so.

wrong continent, agfa...

Jul 10, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

that scale is bizarre, looks different from every image. has hints or Ortner+Ortner. if it's not European... is it Australian/New Zealand?

Jul 10, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's asian...

Jul 10, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

sorry guys, was stuck at a jobsite all day yesterday i can't believe i actually picked one that obscure

Jul 10, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Lovely.

The "eaveless" batch started as a mono-material discussion, I think. . .

Jul 10, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I'll put something new just to keep the interest flowing

[/img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2656203861_9dbcbfa62c.jpg?v=0 width=416[/img]

Jul 10, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I don't suppose yours is Ai Weiwei, holz? Although I'm not sure if I can imagine him doing a church.

Jul 10, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

This is architechnophilia's one:

Jul 10, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

thanks agfa8x - I guess I was more tired than I thought. No takers?

Jul 10, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

NO BUT CORRECT COUNTRY

Jul 10, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

i'm spent I can't find it holz thought it might of been approach or mad but nope!

Jul 10, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think it's in that Taschen book on recent architecture in China, isn't it?

Jul 10, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don't have it but potentially... it's in xinxin... that's pretty much a dead giveaway via google!

Jul 10, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Hey Guys.

Can you also help me out on this thread?

Jul 10, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

holz - WSP Architectural Design - Longshan Xinxin Town Church. never heard of those guys, but they have some impressive work.. website seems to be down tho.

let's let techno's play.

Jul 11, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, the website isn't all that great but some decent projects. i was pretty impressed.

atp's w/ the safari roof. is this carribean perhaps?

Jul 11, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 

we are on to me now...great. Come on cast your votes. And for the record its not 3XNielson

Jul 11, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I'm guessing south africa

Jul 11, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

nope!! No where in that continent

Jul 11, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Atlanta or somewhere thereabouts? (I've decided my new strategy on this thread is to guess pretty much at random).

Jul 11, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

lol - let me help you out its in Asia Agfa8x

Jul 12, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

anymore hints? don't want this to fall of the front page

Jul 14, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
simples

it does not feel japanese to me...there is some strange forced scandinavian feel to it, that's really throwing me off...any hints re. the architect or the use!? feels like a community center of some sort...

Jul 14, 08 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

india/SE asia? ATP, wo bist du?

Jul 15, 08 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Ahhh, yeah its got to be India. For sure. Right ATP?

Jul 15, 08 2:59 am  · 
 · 

its a civic building actually, and no its not India think further south. I thought you guys would have gotten this for sure

Jul 15, 08 3:28 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i'm guessing it's Indonesian then, but still can't find anything

Jul 15, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: