Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

SDR

This guy was associated with Schindler, Neutra and Gregory Ain, and ended up in Raleigh, by way of Austin.

Feb 12, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I like the plan. . .

Feb 12, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 
SDR

. . .and these two interior photos, taken from the entry as indicated on the plan.

Feb 12, 08 12:53 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

Harwell Hamilton Harris?

Feb 12, 08 1:14 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Yay ! Since it's past your bedtime, I'll name the building: Birtcher residence, 1941-42. It's my age. . .

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=64811#64811

Feb 12, 08 1:49 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

one more then i'm out...

Feb 12, 08 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

woah.

Feb 12, 08 3:39 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Bearth & Deplazes - Gantenbein Winery, Fläsch

... if I just could paste an imagelink of that robot bricklayer...

Feb 12, 08 3:43 am  · 
 · 
a-f
Feb 12, 08 3:46 am  · 
 · 
simples

holy brick...that is astoningly gorgeous brick work! i want to touch it!

i am sure i wouldn't have any problems getting mason workers in detroit to build something like that!

Feb 12, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Hats off if you know this one:

Feb 12, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Geez -- are those bricks glued together ? And did a robot actually place them in that pattern ? Wild. . .

I had an idea about a dozen years ago to lay bricks with a transparent or translucent "mortar." Then about six years ago I visited a display of student work at the CCA (California College of Art, formerly the CCAC) and there was a young lady's model of the same thing. Humbling. . .

Feb 12, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

a-f...looks like breuer

Feb 12, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
a-f

yeah, looks like

Feb 12, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

A combination church/bus shelter -- a new suburban type ? Japanese ? No.

Feb 12, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
simples

a-f...any further hints???...brutalist/modern church...the landscaping feels american to me...i am thinking NE usa...60's...

Feb 12, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Is that a cross or part of the overhanging tree in the upper right corner?

Feb 12, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

It's not so easy... this guy is underrepresented on the internet and in publications in general, but his projects are beautiful, and I thought it would be nice to share. The country is: Belgium.

Feb 12, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
simples

yeah...NE USA...belgium...close enough!!!!

i really like what i see so far...no way there is a plan floating around the internet somewhere? curious about that space, which seems to be underground!? the scale seems misleading!!! i love that concrete!

Feb 12, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

is that.... carpet?

Feb 12, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, carpet, but that has to be a later addition. I'm really trawling the internet for images, here's one more:

Feb 12, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

RENAAT BRAEM?

Feb 12, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

OR PAUL FELIX. MY BELGIAN IS POUBELLE

Feb 12, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh, and the brick facade was developed w/ Gramazio & Kohler

just another reason i'd like to be @ eth about now

Feb 12, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Huh. No indication at all of what keeps those marvelously-positioned bricks in place. But it's a lovely result. . .

Feb 12, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

glue. seriously.

Feb 12, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I'm good with that. Neat job.

The "New Texturalists" (with H & de M perhaps at the beginning of the line?) are having so much fun -- and getting the jobs to carry it out. Can't wait for more.

Feb 13, 08 1:23 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Juliaan Lampens

somebody else post!

Feb 13, 08 3:57 am  · 
 · 
simples

i will have to find more about mr. lampens...i did like that church...a-f...what was the name of the church!? any web resource on mr. lampens or the church!?

Feb 13, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
simples

really changing the pace (and i hope i don't kill the thread)

A CLIENT sent us the following image as a source of inspiration - "this is what she is looking for"...what's wrong with this people...sigh...

anyone care to name the building and architect?!

Feb 13, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

villa capra, palladio

that's some serious inspiration, simples... maybe you should introduce her to thomas jefferson...

Feb 13, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Sorry simples, forgot to mention that the project is a chapel in Kerselare. There's very little to be found about Lampens, but according to archipel there are plans of making a monograph of his work. It's about time - the guy is 81!

Feb 13, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
simples

john cline...i think palladio will fit great in suburban detroit...

you are up!

a-f...thanks for the link..i am drooling over the concrete in those images right now!!!!

Feb 13, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

Feb 13, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
SDR

That's a major roof scupper ! The missing first step shows up in the last photo, lower left. Photo #3 could almost be a really nice workshop. . .

Feb 13, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
simples

are these 2 houses built by the same architect?! canada!?

Feb 13, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

they are the same house

yes canada (eastern)

Feb 13, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

sketch site plan

Feb 13, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

another project by the same architect..

Feb 14, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
simples

this is killing me...i've seen this before...i just can't find specific info on it...

ps, i like the rock in the second building...literally bringing nature in...supports that link...

Feb 14, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Brian MacKay-Lyons
Howard House

Feb 14, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
simples

brian mackay lyons...that's it...i saw a special on CBC on his houses and his "ghost" workshop/program...couldn't come up with the name...

Feb 14, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Wow - at last its my turn I've been waiting for years.
Ok - no cheating with the url

Feb 14, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

the original images were for house #22 but yes the architect was brian mckay lyons.

I've been a big fan of him and his work since he lectured at Auburn while I was there. He also held a visiting teaching gig there for a quarter. A real down to earth guy.

His approach to building was revolutionary to me as an undergrad. His basic premise was to utilize local artizans and trades people in what they knew best.. ie in this part of Canada "shrink wrapping" a building using traditional traditional building methods with such materials as wood siding. He would take the knowledge of the builders and detail his buildings accordingly. Granted it wasn't always "wood shake siding" but his design goals worked hand in hand with the trades skill set.

Feb 14, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
207moak

oops - didn't scroll up far enough to realize I was replying to the hint and not the question.
sorry
feel free to disregard my image for not following the rules

Feb 14, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

naw. go ahead moak. you got any other images of that project?

Feb 14, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
207moak

better fit maybe:

Feb 14, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

An homage to Schindler, perhaps. . .but where, and when. . .

Feb 14, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

R. M. Schindler
Pearl M. Mackey Apartments (1939)

Feb 14, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

mleitner got it.
RM is a bit under-rated IMO (especially here on the east coast)

Feb 14, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: