Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

laut raus lachen
Nov 9, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

in september 2004. snap, that's three years already. good times.

Nov 9, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ohne zwiebeln, bitte!

Nov 9, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh, i worked with a guy that went there, but i think he graduated the following semester or two.

Nov 9, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

what's the name? i graduated 2005

Nov 9, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

stefan abe

Nov 9, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

was that in the US? are you in seattle, holz.box? how's the doener consortium up there?

Nov 9, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

no, in DE.

yes, in seattle. the doerner selection is awful, there are like 2 turkish places and they both do it wrong.

too expensive, and missing half the ingredients.

i thought about sponsoring a turkish family and bringing them up here just to open up a hole in the wall that can stay open til 2 or 3. it's a shame they haven't flourished in the US. i seriously spent half of my time eating in the mensa, the other half in a kebabhaus.

Nov 9, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

sounds very familiar - but then there were so many stefans i could be wrong.

Nov 9, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'd imagine so. no biggie, i was just wondering where he ended up.

Nov 9, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, there were tons of stefans, but I'm sure I know his face. I should check on facebook.

I totally feel ya on the american doener situation! there are some places in downtown LA - it's actually called 'little istanbul'! - but their kebab ain't the same. I discovered lebanese shawarma as my methadon. good stuff!

martin, do you have good doeners (komplett bitte, mit schafskaese) on the west side?

Nov 9, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

no. all they have out here is meth at best. a friend of mine is a doener addict and he's going insane out here.
i actually miss the currywurst more. berlin - that's the place.

Nov 9, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

okay, nother one (martin and holz.box are excluded, sorry boys):

Nov 9, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oooh oooh ooh! i know i know!

actually, the last week my recall has been retarded and i had to struggle w/ finding a decent posting that martin got in like 2 minutes.

Nov 9, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

:) I knew you'd recognize this, and martin's comment actually inspired me to pick the 'broadcast vegetable' (hint hint).

Nov 9, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

it's gotta be the berlin fernsehturm, right? or it's so close that i can't tell the difference.

visible over the shoulder of this behrens building (a favorite) i referenced in an earlier post:

Nov 10, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

YEAH, you got it, steven! it was a little hard to guess with this perspective and the night shot, but maybe the hint also helped: berliners call their tv tower 'Telespargel' which means 'tele-asparagus'.

read this funny short anecdote about the berliner fernsehturm and 'the pope's revenge' on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm#The_.22Pope.27s_Revenge.22.

Nov 10, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

damn. i forget how many iconic projects there are in berlin (at least to berliners)

siegessäule

Nov 10, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

is that you?

Nov 10, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

what?

no, that's otto sander as cassiel in a scene from win wender's der himmer ueber berlin. lots of amazing shots of berlin in that film.

Nov 10, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Cousins Stefan and Anna in front of (now quondam) monument, Museum Insel, Berlin, circa 1943.

Nov 10, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

bringin sexy back.

Nov 14, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

SW that is sexy! I take it that its a church/chapel with a horizontal footprint. I couldn't make a sensible guess but I would think middle America or Belgium

Nov 14, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ah i know this one... William Berger - synagogue for the arts, nyc

Nov 14, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

yessirreebob.

Nov 14, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

nice project.

Nov 14, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

hard to mistake it from the outside when walking by

Nov 14, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

next.. an interesting project i came across a while back:

Nov 14, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

additionally:

Nov 14, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i have no idea what that is, but that's an interesting diagram.

Nov 14, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

fairly straight forward, right? diagram above derived from this:

...and then to this:

Nov 14, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

anyone? I'll give a hint.. it's an embassy eh?

Nov 15, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

I got nothing but carpal tunnel from endless google searches. Where IS this?

Nov 15, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

canadian embassy, tokyo.

moriyama + teshima

"The unusual shape of the roof is a response to Tokyo's stringent sun shade regulations that required the new building to avoid casting shadow on the nearby Akasaka Imperial Grounds and the Takahashi Memorial Park for no more than two hours per day and to a depth of only ten meters."

Nov 15, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
AP

very nice...

the William Berger synagogue is directly across the street from the office that my girlfriend works at (in Chinatown). We've always marveled at the oddness of the exterior, but had no idea who the architect was, and haven't tried to get inside, yet.

Nov 15, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

well done holz.. stumbled across it while searching for another embassy. and interesting project... that shadow restriction must have been fun to work with.

AP I've walked by it so many times but never actually been in, after seeing those interior pictures I think i'll give it a shot sometime soon.. seems like a fairly accessible building (or not?)

Nov 15, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i knew it was japan from the aerial, and when you mentioned embassy, eh... pretty much narrowed it down.

next up:
recently completed (may or june) mixed media center

Nov 15, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Why is it, do you suppose, that the word "library" is no longer good enough to describe the place of information storage and availability ? This choice of terminology hints ominously -- disrespectfully ? -- that the death of the book is approaching. . .

Nov 15, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

library fits, i was just trying to mix it up.

the death of the book is nigh. why read beowolf when you can watch the cool cgi-orgasm version in 1/20th the time?

newspapers? ha, i just want to watch survivor and 'merkin idol

Nov 15, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh I wasn't blaming you; I assume that the name of this lovely new facility will very likely be exactly as you stated it.

I like those ribbony glazed walls. I see that "decoration" is creeping back into architecture: there's a lot going on in that one space !

Nov 15, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Somewhat eclectic interior...

Nov 15, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

here's a hint:

Où est la bibliothèque?

Nov 15, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, it's a project in montreal, right?

dammit i can't remember the name of it or the architect!!! it was in arch record some time ago!

Nov 15, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

not in quebec

Nov 15, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i'm wrong. it's not the bibliothque national in quebec.

Nov 15, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

I spent quite some time trying to figure this one out. I would say it's either in the Alsace or Switzerland - but that's only a guess.

Beat me with this one. (I did see a lot of nice stuff on the way though.)

Nov 16, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

arrondissement of Créteil

Nov 16, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
simples

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2244/2034820628_d36e48cb5e.jpg?v=0
width=400[/img]

holz...i am going to guess, BIBLIOTHÈQUE MULTIMÉDI@ in Créteil, France...however, after spending time i promised not to spend looking for the architect, no one wants to take credit...

and, i don't want this thread to die...

Nov 19, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ha...spent even more time:

La Médiathèque d'Alfortville

by Charon-Rampillon..

correct!? if anyone wants to post the next building go ahead...if not, i will post something later on...

Nov 19, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
simples

holz...this was a toughie...the design architects for the a Médiathèque d'Alfortville was deso-architecture (DEFRAIN-SOUQUET)...

Nov 19, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: