Archinect
anchor

Help!! Generative Techniques

poster

Could anyone shed some light on generative techniques to create architecture. Specifically i am interested in some of the techniques that Ali Rahim discusses in his book Catalytic Formations.

In essence the process is a simulation of forces acting on a shape to create form/space. I seem to be getting stuck as to how this is done, particularly in 3ds max.

I have looked at reactor and dynamics in 3ds max as well as cloth simulations. Where i get stuck is including particle systems within these simulations.

From what i have read this is the basis of how these things are developed, yet i cannot seem to make particle systems a part of these simulation.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Aug 21, 07 2:10 am
grauster

poster,

I believe that the methods stem from more powerful tools than what max has to offer. Take a look at RealFlow (which was made for partical systems) and Fluid Dynamics (I believe that is what it's called) within the MAYA environment.

Remeber though that the essence of the simulations are meant, and I think this is what Ali is touching upon, to serve as an instigator to inform the design process. Thus the ability of the dynamical systems to represent and address different kinds of relationships, whether spatial, programmatic, etc. and have them feed back into relationships within the project.

While his aesthetic does physically resemble the graphic of the simulations, the products of the simulation always go through an adaptation or translation from the formal setting of the simulation into the architecture. Good luck exploring...

Aug 21, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
poster

thanks for the response - i will look into those, this topic expands the more i look into it. I will continue exploring and look for answers.

thanks

Aug 21, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
grid

you can attach objects to particles and go from there...

Aug 22, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
TED

if your new to scripting - try processing.org. its free, open source and lots of 'particle-like' effects - if you know one scripting program well it helps

Aug 22, 07 3:19 am  · 
 · 
tnarch

check here

http://gcuser.com/
www.designpatterns.ca

Aug 22, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
BrentJWatanabe

might also want to look at some of the Morpho-Ecologies stuff from the AA

Aug 24, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
poster

thanks everybody.... slowly getting there. its all been helpful... many bookmarks to go through............................

Aug 24, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: