Archinect
anchor

how do i get an internship without any education or experience

mightylittle™

well...that goes a long way towards explaining yourself.

it's also the case that sometimes people slip into a very casual tone when writing emails and on internet forums...i do that all the time. the difference is that i'm not the young guy just starting out looking for a job, so i can get away with it.

a mediocre designer with a great attitude and a high level of professionalism will always be more successful than a talented prick. and a talented one with the same high level of professionalism?

just sayin'.

good luck.

be sure and come back to the 'nect and tell everyone off when you get your first commission.

Aug 20, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

one word....

cad

there is always someone somewhere that will want you to do cad bitch work.....
just be sure to tell them you can only work if they allow iTunes in there office...

Aug 20, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

rbaez, if you really want to get any unpaid internship, just put together your resume and shlep down to any of the smaller firms in your area, and show them how passionate you are to learn about the profession.
At first you have to make the coffee, prolly answer phone calls, go down to the printers and get stuff plotted, but you sure will learn a lot.

Aug 20, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

rbaez - spend a little time here AIA Career Center and TSA Job Board

These will help you determine some of the firms in your area that are hiring. You also can post your resume, offering yourself up for an intership.

Just don't waste the time of HR personnel applying for jobs you're not qualified to fill.

Good luck.

Aug 20, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

What a very informative thread. I'm 32 years old and looking to start an internship in someone's office with no experience as well (except for a Drafting certificate I got from a vocational school 1000 years ago), and I hope I will not be looked down on because of my age. I cannot afford to work as an unpaid intern (I have too many bills to pay) but I would like to get my foot in the door before I plunk down a lot of money on school.

The thing is, what if I actually get an internship and fail miserably? I don't know if I can temporarily leave my current job just to get some experience somewhere else and come back if I don't like it-I live paycheck to paycheck, and if my second job didn't work out, I'd have to go live with my parents!

I have fairly good drawing skills, my writing ability is pretty decent, I can run Photoshop and Quark Express, but I can't figure my way out of a paper bag! (I really suck at math.) I'm interested in the artistic design aspect of architecture as well as rendering, so I would someday like to focus on that.

Sorry I hijacked your thread rbaez....carry on :)

Aug 20, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

quizzical cool sites thanks

Aug 20, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

Architectress870 no problem take over it ive gotten very much info from it already. maybe we could team up and keep eachother informed you know gibe eachother tips and what not on our searches.

Aug 21, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

rbaez, have you graduated yet? Have you gotten into an arch school yet? I know we have several Houstonians and ESL students at TTU if you're still looking for a school. EPCC and UTEP are exceptional with ESL students, too. Just something to consider if you're looking to stay in state.

Aug 21, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
boxy

can i just get something straight here. architecture is not hard. i'm tired of everyone on archinect complaining about how difficult school is and how difficult it is to get a job. if you have talent you will succeed. if you are good at networking/communicating you will do better.

rbaez, here's some advice: don't take advice from archinecters. do you want to end up a 40-something cad monkey who tries to feel important by posting 'advice' to future students about how things should be done? probably not.

Aug 21, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'm not a 40-something cad monkey. I'm a 20-something undergrad just trying to help a kid get a job.

Aug 21, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

mr. bojangles - going to school and getting a job are not hard, they do demand persistence and commitment.

practicing architecture well is indeed difficult, and i'm speaking as someone who has their own very young office.

getting the work, doing the work, getting paid for the work - all while keeping the client happy, the contractors informed and engaged, doing my best to minimize the chance of lawyers knocking on my door, and producing work that i'm proud of - is, for me, difficult and demanding.

i'm a forty-something monkey, just not CAD.

Aug 21, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
rbaez

rfuller no im not in a school yet i applied to the arch program but because of some mix up with the admissions office i was unable to get into the school. what kind of requirements does ttu arch program have? i mean like in terms o fmy goa and such?

Aug 22, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

mr.bojangles. your advice is kind of ironic hahaha but i will take it into consideration. but i have no other source for advice thats why i turned to archinect. but anyway you are one of the ONLY people on here if not the only one who has made me a little less nervous about achitecture. thanks

Aug 22, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
don't take advice from archinecters. do you want to end up a 40-something cad monkey who tries to feel important by posting 'advice' to future students about how things should be done?

now why you gotta' start playa' hating bojangles?

seriously, i ain't no forty-year-old cad monkey, and the only thing being advised here is that rbaez jump right in with open eyes...and a well practiced writing style.

what's so wrong about that? last time i checked, good writing skills and a good attitude would help most everyone...you too.

it's not like anyone here is suggesting he go to vo-tech for mechanical drawing.

Aug 22, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

TTU COA doesn't have any gpa requirements. If you can get into the University, then you can get into architecture. That said, they give you a year to perform. Basically, here's how it tends to pan out at TTU. (ryanj can correct me anywhere I might misrepresent.):

300-500 Freshmen show up on the first day. For the first semester you will take Delineation, Design Environment and Society, and Architectural History 1 (Prehistoric-Baroque). You will probably be taking 1 or 2 additional non-architecture classes (let me suggest ENGL 1301) on top of your architecture core. Halfway through the semester at least 3 people you know will probably drop.

Second semester the numbers will be whittled down significantly. Lots of people don't come back for seconds. Your class will be about 200-300 at this point. You will take Delineation 2, Architectonics, and Architectural History 2 (Renaissance-Current). By the end of the second semester the class should be down to around 150-200 people. Oh yeah. This is a good time to take ENGL 1302.

Then you have 2nd year portfolio review. Basically this is where you get accepted to architecture. You will submit a portfolio, your ARCHITECTURE GPA, a letter of intent, and you will complete a writing proficiency test. Let me re-emphasize that WRITING PROFICIENCY TEST. Only about 135-140 will apply. 120 get in. Typically if you can make it through the first year, you're in.

I understand they're changing the curriculum a bit, so you may have a slightly different set of classes, but that's basically how it works at TTU. Most people don't drop because of the work load. They may blame it on that, but really they just don't have the passion and/or the drive.

If you do get into TTU, you can't start architecture till the fall, so it'll be another year. Go ahead and start applying now, though. And if you do get into TTU, drop me a line. I'll give you my Studio #, and you can drop by any time for help/advice. Also, we have a group called the Knights of Architecture who offer a mentor program for people who want to help and want to succeed. Its not hard to make it if you have the will and you do what it takes to be successful.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

thank for tha info rfuller. thats sounds prettey good. i might give it ago but i dont know about the. its kind of hard to know that fter a year you can get not get accepted and oh yeah and i have a few community college hours like all my core and stuff will those transfer over to ttu? this would be so i have only arch classes. any who this really sounds like somthing i would like to do. thanks again

Aug 23, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

As far as CC hours, I'll ask my Houston buddies tonight. (Chimmy's and Hookah back to school outing.)

Once you get started, if architecture is right for you, you'll see the one year cut off as a blessing. It helps get rid of lots of the people who are disinterested and don't do anything but eat up crit time. Give it a shot, dude.

Also, I would like to once again suggest taking those English classes if you do end up at Tech. They can be a huge pain in the ass, but they'll help you with your writing which is critical to ARCH History 2 and admittance to second year. I would also suggest taking physics as early as possible as this will make Construction 2 and 3 much easier.

And good luck, again, with the job search.

Aug 24, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

it may not be advertised too much on their websites and such, but many/most schools have a similar one year cut-off sort of thing... at my undergrad school it was after the second year when everyone pinned up their work from the first two years and then the class was basically cut in half... and this was after the initial weeding out process of people dropping on their own that rfuller describes... only about 100-120 people would be allowed to advance to 3rd year... the others found a new major or transferred to a lesser school...

Aug 24, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: