Archinect
anchor

GREENBUILD 2007

treekiller

meetup thread launched - see ya'll there.

Oct 30, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

there's a barber shop and a cigar store too. be burnham or root.

Oct 30, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

fresh from the Architecture 2030 email announcement:

Mazria to speak at Greenbuild, November 7, 2007

Prior to President Clinton's keynote address on November 7th at Greenbuild, an announcement will be made that Edward Mazria will be giving a special presentation during the noon hour. Specifics, such as time and place, will be provided during the announcement.

If I can get the scoop as to where, I'll let archinect know...

I'll be root.

Oct 31, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

For everybody not able to attend, but needing their greenbuild fix, from COTE Forum:

GREENBUILD365.ORG: TRANSFORMING GREEN BUILDING EDUCATION
Don't miss the chance to join in a global dialogue about the latest developments and hottest topics in the green building movement. Log onto www.greenbuild365.org to take part virtually in the U.S. Green Building Council’s Greenbuild International Conference & Expo. View free, live streaming videos of the keynote and master speaker, including former President Bill Clinton; read a journal covering conference highlights; and share your perspectives on the hottest green building issues through interactive polls. Visit www.greenbuild365.org today, and be sure to check back on November 7-9.

From the USGBC press bulletin:

Thursday Nov 8th

How Can Architecture Help Avoid a Climate Change Crisis?

Please join the USGBC and Autodesk at the Field Museum for an exclusive screening of "Architecture 2030". This episode is from the second season of the Autodesk-sponsored series e2 design, which is distributed internationally and releasing on PBS this fall. After the screening, stay for an informative panel discussion about this important topic moderated by Susan Szenasy, Editor in Chief, Metropolis Magazine. The panel will feature:

S. Richard Fedrizzi, President, CEO and Founding Chairman of the USGBC
Phil Bernstein, VP AEC Industry and Strategy Relations, Autodesk
Edward Mazria, Executive Director, Architecture 2030
Sadhu Johnston, Chief Environmental Officer, Mayor's Office, City of Chicago

Agenda:
5:30 - 6:00 p.m. Check-in

6:00 - 6:30 p.m. "Architecture 2030"
James Simpson Theatre, West Entrance

6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Panel discussion
James Simpson Theatre, West Entrance

7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Reception
East Atrium, East Entrance

Where: The Field Museum 1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago IL 60605

Not sure if you need a greenbuild membership to attend.

Nov 1, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Reporting LIVE from the international Forum (W-190) learning what the rest of the world is up to.

So far the discussion is about the activities of the UNEP, the renovations of the UN's Secretariat building 'the least efficient building in the world', and Holcim Award winners

more to follow!

Nov 6, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Im trying to figure out how our structural engineers all got free passes yet us architects have to pay.

Barry - any interesting products in MFR galleries?

Nov 6, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

is it really only 42 degrees there today?!?! I am going to freeze my ass off! USGBC is sadistic.

Nov 6, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

yes its cold outside, but nice and warm in mccormick place. this is the first I've heard about the MEPs getting free passes- I'm hoping to meet rick fedrizzi later, and I'll ask him then. most likely that ashrae paid for their members to attend - so get on the aia to get you a free pass. Next year, we can have team archinect coverage in boston.

oh, what is MFR?

Nov 6, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

trailer for Architecture 2030 e2 episode.

Nov 6, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

these were structural engineers, not MEP - got passes from vendors. Its just odd vendors went around us architects straight to our engineers

Nov 6, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

I've been asked to start a new thread. do we need one or do we keep this one live? I like the aggregation of getting to chicago represented here, but will start a blank slate if others want...

Nov 6, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Barry, I say stick to this thread. We have this main Greenbuild thread, a Greenbuild meetup thread, and a Greenbuild hotel/last year experience thread. I'm scared it may be Greenbuild overload if we add another one.

I'm leaving the office in t minus 9 minutes.

Greenbuild or bust.

Nov 6, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Who is giving away free Greenbuild passes?

Any ideas?

Nov 6, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Who is giving away free Greenbuild passes?

Any ideas?

Nov 6, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

I've been hanging at the international forum all day and the final speaker is discussing one of my favorite subjects: megacities There is a new book I gotta look for by Janice Perlman who is talking right now - better go listen....

Nov 6, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

In one of those funny instances of being amazed at just how powerful the internet is, I have just received a message from Cameron on Facebook that says the following:

"stuck on a flight to chicago. trying to organize drinks tonight. i'll be at the bar at the westin downtown tonight at 10pm. let the 'nect crew know (treo can only do facebook)"

So there you go. I don't know if you already knew this...I am but a messenger.

Nov 6, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

wK- many thanks for the heads up- i'lll try to be there for C.

Going to dinner with the ASLA sustainable sites initiative crew. Between dinner and drinks with C, I'll try to update my impressions of the first day. Was blown away by Janice Perlman's presentation, and will try to connect her with AFH.

Nov 6, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, Cameron updated me - again via Facebook - and changed it to 10:30. I think he is having plane issues. Damned air travel!!!

Is anyone else getting this? Or am I the only one on the computer constantly?

Nov 6, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just got a telegram from cameron. 10:45 and have his favorite cocktail waiting for him.

Nov 6, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

Can somebody tell Cameron I am also running late?
Damned stilettos!

Nov 7, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 

had to bail on C since I didn't get back to my car till 10:30pm after a great dinner at this hard core italian antipasti place below bin 36 next to the hard rock... yo chicago archinectors- what was the upsidedown boat building that the hardrock cafe is in before it became the hard rock (and who designed it)?

So i finally dumped the contents of the greenbuild 100% organic cotton tote bag (with 'honda' and 'greenbuild' silk screened on the green and beigh canvas) on the floor and here is what I got:

*one note pad with 'acuity brands green source' logo (not labeled for recycled content).

*one 'homesite home insurance' plastic sports bottle with a USGBC member logo #2 HDPE made in the USA.

*one '5minuteshower(tm)' egg timer in a plastic disk thingy with a suction cup sponsored by lend lease - made in china and patented but no annotations of material for recycling.

*one 'greenworldnow.com' 'environementally safe' 'vegetal' 'eco-choice' brand pen 'verified earth freindly' with blue ink!!!!

*one copy of Paul Hawken's blessed unrest book printed on 100% post consumer fiber. If there is an Archinect lending library, I will donate this book once I've read it.

from some usgbc staffer, got a usgbc logo pin (it was wrapped in plastic wrapper that fell on the floor after I opened it - and I didn't bother to pick up after myself)

and snagged from the ASLA booth, two (2) 'made from four recycled 2-liter plastic bottles' tote bags left over the from the recent ASLA expo.

this shows how hard it is to be green - every choice is evaluated against saintly criteria and if you don't do it exactly the pc 'right' way, you get beheaded for even doing a little something better then before.

bedtime now so I can be up at the break of dawn to see the former (and future? resident of the white house...

Nov 7, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Bertrand Goldgerg - part of the Marina City Complex - it was a movie theater if Im not mistaken -Id say hes the least known, but maybe best Chicago architect - check out his Hilliard homes radial towers down by Chinatown when you leave mcormick place - they are about 5 blocks west of the convention

Nov 7, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
8:48am Wednesday Main Ballroom

-
after a bit of a cattle call, I got into the press ghetto at the back of the auditorium. Now I get to fill a few minutes before all the illustrious and powerful start extolling the virtues of green building. two hours of various rah-rah and 'we are great' speach-ifying to be expected. I'm sitting next to a writer for Woman's Wear Daily who reports on technology, guess homes are now technology for our gadget happy populace...

Nov 7, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 

and it begins with rick fedrizzi and several thousand or so in the audience.

Nov 7, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
postal

more marina city stuff on lynn becker's blog...

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/

which links to the ultimate marina city site...

http://www.marinacityonline.com/

(prepare youself, the info is massive... anyone doing a case study on this building, your job is done for you)

Nov 7, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 
stevegambini

yeah, way to base your case study only on secondary information...

Nov 7, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 

WOW! George Watski just delivered a spine tingling poem - Bill will have a tough act to follow. I'll see if I can find a link for all those not tuned into greenbuild365.com

oh, the bill clinton library just got leed platinum

Nov 7, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Anyone else getting errors trying to connect to the greenbuild365.org live webcast?

Nov 7, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

The line for registrants just hit 1 1/2 hours!!!

I'm here hiding in the speaker ready room (free cookies). Clinton is talking about greening our schools, focusing our attention on the 'next generation'. Talking about Clinton Foundation/USGBC relationship.

------

Extra kudos for HOK Canada and AIAS for coming for late night drinks... stayed up till 1.30, woke up at 7... this is going to be a rough day.

Looks like I will be at the Navy Pier from 4.30 tonight.

------

ps. I have tickets for awards dinner and lunch tomorrow if anyone wants them, barry?

Nov 7, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 

c- stay put, ill find you at the speaker's room.

Nov 7, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

cool. just got images in from Rwanda (new project) - adding them to tonights talk. Roberto and Carlos from Kallari are around too. you should interview them on the Open Architecture Challenge.

Nov 7, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

room 195

Nov 7, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

got to the speaker room and have been chatting with cameron. AFH has some great upcoming projects and shifts in how they are organized. All very exciting and interesting, but I'll leave it to cameron to share.

Nov 7, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you tell us when you go to pee!

Nov 7, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

Live from USGBC HQ in Washington DC:

For those of us newbies, losers and otherwise useless people not in Chicago, we watched the plenary on closed circuit in the conference room and then feasted on a buffet of fajitas. I suppose that's sufficient consolation for not getting to collect all the free stuff at the expo.

Who wants to meet up for a drink in Adams Morgan tonight?

Cameron, if you don't get his attention, I'll try to talk to Rick next week about developing some kind of partnership to certify AfH buildings. Given how much they talked about LEED affordable housing today, you'd think he might be amenable to it.

Nov 7, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Watching Thom Mayne LIVE right now:
http://www.greenbuild365.org/Stream/live.html

Nov 7, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

isnt he at UIC tonight?

Nov 7, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Thom is meandering a lot... I am not sure I follow his point. Am I missing something or is he basically going through a lot of ideas and projects without a clear thread?

Nov 7, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Now we are talking about skins and economics... It is much better.

We also know that Mr. Mayne supports Clinton (at least bill).

Nov 7, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

archtopus- c & i discussed certifying afH projects over the usgbc vip luncheon (aka the blackberry/iphone crowd) at the art institute- hanging with him is a blast and something that I highly recommend (just don't become a cyber stalker). His EGB talk will the the last full blown AfH presentation for a while - hope greenbuild365.org carries it.

I'd love to have a chat with rick a few weeks from now once the buzz/hangover of this over crowded expo ends. It's pretty obvious that greenbuild was planned for about half the people that have shown up. maybe some of the blame goes to the shift in venues, but it is packed. Its exciting that the subject is so popular, but is the experience for the common attendee living up to expectations with everything being sold out?

Back to the luncheon-
there was a preview of the tv show eco-town.if I find the link, I'll post Hollywood and sustainability is more then ed bagley - just waiting to see if brad pitt shows up in chicago. Vince Vaughn is in town for the premier of his latest movie, maybe he'll make it.

so are there any hemp manufacturers attending this year? I'm 'bout to explore the expo hall for a few minutes before the EGB fun begins.

Nov 7, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how many empty water bottles are there?

Nov 7, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'm busy collecting free empty plastic water containers from the GM booth... gotta run. Navy Pier awaits.... ps. Does Chicago have/need a navy????

Nov 7, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

they train on the great lakes before going to the ocean

Nov 7, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

wow, we are now talking war, politics, and Darwin's theory of evolution vs. Theology...

I like his idea that in no time we will stop making cars in this country and we need to evolve our economy and way of thinking and do it fast.

(Not so) fun fact of the day on building costs:

Eugene Courthouse = 7 hours of U.S. occupation of Iraq
San Francisco Courthouse = 13 hours of U.S. occupation of Iraq

Nov 7, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Thom Mayne has left the building, so no one else saw it? TK, the camera is still running go over and say hi :)

Nov 7, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
blah

We are actually a finance economy....

Services and manufacturing are done whereever they are cheapest.

And ideas in architecture are seen as a liability since the finance people are calling the shots. They are like Detroit and cars.

Our economy is varied and this is a simple explanation.

Nov 7, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

EGB Forum moved to navy pier. One shuttle bus planned to leave mccormick place before the even.

archinect meet-up to start from the pier. Chicago had a navy presence in through ww2. think they sent troops and supplies over to europe from that pier.

Q- don't/didn't have time to run over to that room - but that's a very funny idea...

vado- i've thought about peeing into bottles during a few of the panels. managed to hold it till after. But you really didn't need to know that, did you?

Just stopped at autodesk's booth and will be showing some stills from their presentation of their dream interface - is too cool to not get excited about something even if it is made by autodesk - it's the sort of interface that ed mazria has been asking for, for a while....

Nov 7, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

isn't Chicago where the Navy does bootcamp?

Nov 7, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wheres treekiller been? wasnt he reporting as well from the greenbuild?

Nov 7, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

(pssst. evilp....i'll give you a hint....he's been posting here the whole time)

Nov 7, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: