Archinect
anchor

digital portfolio HELP PLEASE!

shaner

hello everyone..

ok ive got my porfolio all done. its in PDF form and ready for print.. no problem.. i can easly create hard copies

but now i need to send digital versions to employers too. i dont want to make them 1 pdf with all the sheets and simply have them scroll down though them. since the portfolio is set up like a book. there are sheets that coorispond when you have them open and i need some sheets to be opened side by side as they would be in the hard copy. does anyone know how to make a "digital book" somthing like you see in the bestbuy digital flyers where you see the flyer like as you would the mailed verson

if anyone can tell me how they do their portfolios digitally or if you know of any software.

also its extremely important that the person im sending it too dosnt need to download or install any software to see it. it should run itself or use HTML for ease of use on the employers part

thanks

Aug 18, 07 1:43 pm
garpike

Don't work at any office that can't open a PDF. Seriously. Stick with the PDF.

For the full pages consider making one page equal to the two side by side. Example, if they are 8-1/2 X 11 sheets, make one 11 X 17 layout.

Aug 18, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

ya i was thinking of doing that.. and ya im sure everyone who matters can use pdf..
its still not ideal though

Aug 18, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

a firm that has never had to open a pdf? doubtful.. stick with the pdf as garpike said.. its the most widely used format available

Aug 18, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

When you email them, just tell them to hit View > Page Layout > Facing so it looks correct on their screen...

Aug 18, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

shaner, if you created your original document in InDesign you could set the document up with facing pages. Then when you export from InDesign to PDF, export in spread format.

Aug 19, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
guppy

Unless specifically asked to do so, I wouldn't send an entire portfolio via email. The file size will likely be too big, and the secretary or HR person who prints it out will pay no attention to how it's formatted, and won't want to manage 30+ pages to put in your file along with cover letter/resume, etc (in my experience the person reviewing your application is not doing so on screen, but others may have different experiences). For the purposes of getting an interview I always send one pdf document of 4-5 pages containing my cover letter, resume and examples culled from my professional/academic portfolio - all 8.5 x 11 (which is probably the default setting of HR person's acrobat reader). It sucks to format two sets of documents (portfolio and application materials), but I do know that offices don't want to archive or print entire portfolios from multiple applicants. Weblink is another option, but I would do that in addition to the 2-3 pages of work samples in your initial packet.

Aug 19, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

thanks guppy.. i think ill make a little e-portfolio thats about 5 pages as you suggest and reformat them to 8.5 x 11 sheets.. i never thought about them printing them. my portfolio right now is compiled of 7x14" sheets so it would be very difficult for them to print them.

i like your idea of a webpage too.. ive actually already registered a domain for that exact reason but ive yet to develop it.

thanks.. i think i know how im going to work this now!

shaner

Aug 19, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

shaner.com

Aug 21, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
khalil

dear why dont you go for ebook

Aug 26, 07 4:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: