Archinect
anchor

BARTLETT question

Chch

OK, so out of all the people on here who either a) attend the Bartlett or b) have attended the Bartlett, can I please ask you:

Where abouts did/do you live? I'm currently looking for flats and I'm not sure if living 1/2 an hour away by tube is going to be a major hassle. Did you find you needed to pop in and out for lectures? I don't really want to find myself having to hang around the dept. on days when I need to be working from home (it could end up very expensive - lunches etc). Any suggestions on suitable areas to live? London is such a patchwork of different areas and I seem to be coming across areas where I will either be completely skint, shot/stabbed, or having to travel alot.

Also, how often were you in the department for lectures/tutorials etc? I know it's better to work in the studio, but at times and with certain projects I have a tendancy to work from home (as I only have a desktop computer).

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Aug 16, 07 11:32 pm
RoedGroed

Anywhere in Zone 2 and you should be fine.
As for the tube, try to stay somewhere on the central line, or with a major bus route that passes the school. Better yet, get a bike (and get it insured...)
Also consider carrying a model/portfolio through the clogged up London transport network. How long before you tire of that...
It really depends on what you can afford, doesn´t it?

Talk to the school. Bartlett is part of the UCL, which is a huge institution.
Also, check moveflat.com and gumtree.com for listings (in that order).

Good luck. You´ll be fine. And get receipts for everything.

Aug 20, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
TED

bartlett is not on the central line - northern / victoria lines [nearest stop euston] or euston square [which has circle, metro, hammersmith]. i live in zone 3 [highgate] which is 17 min to school on northern line and has a back up direct bus line [40 min rush - 20 min off hours] with euston being at the north of the central area the some zone 3's are closer than many zone 2's-- up at the shops this weekend surprised that you can get a room in a house for 80 all inclusive in wood green [right near highgate - muswell hill. lots up that way rent parts of their house after the kids take off to school. i personally do not like the central line. to travel by tube to school stay on a direct line without any connections - then you dont have to worry about 2-3 lines messing up -

make sure you sort out council tax on the flat before you sign - if its a house of all students no tax - if its mixed you might get stuck - i sort of pay rent under the table and am a full time student so dont pay -

i would bike as long as your not carring a laptop. quick way to get around by far -

each of the units run so differently you really wont know your sched until you get in the unit - some history + theories have very regular scheds but thats all --

i am surprised your going to opt for no laptop and work alone at home - that would suck.

Aug 20, 07 4:03 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

There's plenty on London living in the archives.

(I think) UCL have a scheme where they lend you a laptop, and through Citrix Client you have access to UCL licensed software. There's also plenty of hardware on-site at Gordon Square.

There is the British Museum and British Library within short walking distance of the Bartlett, Bloomsbury itself, and Marylebone just West of Fitzrovia. Or South to Marchmont Street, the Brunswick Centre and Lambs Conduit Street are also joyful. From there you have Clerkenwell, Exmouth Market and other sweet City/hippy fringe delights.

Don't feel trapped in school between lectures, you are in London for to find London, n'est-ce pas?

Aim for Zone 2, Piccadilly line (Dark blue) or Northern line (black) or Victoria line (light blue), and it's easier to be in North London. Zone 2 (a circular travel-price zoning) stretches for miles west and south.

Get a bicycle.

Wood Green is a shithole.

Aug 21, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Oh, and make your own lunch.

And if you're worrying about being stabbed just dress like a freak, you'll look more local.

Aug 21, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
TED

loner laptop program??? dream on! - think it doesnt exist. else i wouldnt be carrying my dell back and forth;[it cost a fortune for camera deposit at the bartlett]

the citrix system is really limiting and i wouldnt use it to work on regularly-only good for hard drive back up - it limits screen size, limiting software for architects and running heavy duty software over a virtual network is a non-starter; while theres lots of computers labs around ucl- the only ones which you will find software that you need is in wates house wts cluster software - the bartlett second floor. there are two rooms on 2 - apple machines - but during term time the room is heavily used for instruction.

you might also look univeristy of london housing/ for housing on offer -

the bartlett is a very very competitive environment - if your going to be sucessful here - think through all your options on gaining a competitive edge. time is always something we need more of.

Aug 21, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Alan

hi,

interesting and useful to read people's responses - so thank you.

i'm also going to be starting at the bartlett this fall. never managed to work out how easy working in studio is, or if i should set up shop at home. (i'll be in bethnal green, which i'm hoping will be close enough.) what do most people do, how much space is there to work in? it always seemed quite cramped. visiting sciarc, they had about three desks each and a few had more than one desktop computer.

also, about computers, what do most people do? i have a laptop i'm looking to replace - thinking about a mac book pro or a new imac (half the price). am in the u.s. right now, so if i do decide to get a laptop then should do so here and save some cash.

anyway, thanks again.

Aug 27, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: