Archinect
anchor

Open Source design details

nonarchitect

I have been poaching various design details from various manufacturers to design affordable housing, and I wish I didn't have to look so hard for these details. I am looking to share my collection which also includes some original details I have concocted on my own. Does anyone else want to collaborate? or know anyone who can develop an online wiki ? Besides, I think this is a great way to get those who consider themselves 'detail oriented' to contribute to a greater good.

Aug 15, 07 6:03 pm
Cameron

I know Sweets is putting their catalogue online w/ details and CAD files. The Open Architecture Network will launch its' resources section in the late fall and will include a wiki based database to input details etc. Hopefully we will be adding a feature to view CAD files inline by the spring.

We have a 6 terrabyte server, so space should not be an issue.

Cheers
Cameron

Aug 15, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

sounds promising

maybe using a page like cben.net

Aug 15, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

personally, cben is awesome... used weekly...

Aug 15, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

cben looks cool. def. will link to it.

Aug 15, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

uh, i have a lot i can share, and also a lot needed, so, i would be happy to share when the network is up and running

Aug 15, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i think a site that did a bit more than CBEN would be great. that accepted more file types that made previews for images and that had all the previews for the cad files not just certain versions
oh and that the search always worked...
not that it is not a invaluable resources already it could just be more.

Aug 15, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Shoot ideas my way we are building it next month...(ish)

Aug 15, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I agree, I think they need not be "blocks" The idea is that you should be able to either use the details as is, or by modifying it some, and if you do modify it, you should be able to save it as a versio that in turn can be shared..

Aug 16, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
khalil

you should do your homework

Aug 16, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I think it would be good to organize first by climate, then by building type, and then by spec section number....

Aug 16, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

as is done on sweets it benefits the manufacture to provide those details because it is there product

but a out of the mainstream repository for innovative details for all kinds of situations would go a long way.

Aug 16, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: