Archinect
anchor

Naval Architects

apocalipstick

i'm going to start a foundation course in aa in october. meanwhile i have been working in a port, where i found out that there is a group of people called 'naval architects'

can sb tell me what is this about? are they actual designers or is 'naval architects' a phrase to talk about engineers who design motors, propellers and stuff like that?

i am asking because i suppose that, in the process of building a boat, sb is in charge of the exterior design, of the activity of making the boat look pretty (i am talking about yachts and sailing boats, not about container ships)... which i think is nice

i hope i am making myself clear... thanks in advance for ur answers

Aug 13, 07 11:34 am

i don't know much about naval architecture except to know that it's a profession all its own, neither architect nor engineer but major parts of both. you've got to be able to get your head around designing the propellers, inlet ports, and other marine-contact elements of the vessel (not so much motors, but you've got to be familiar with them) but also the aesthetic and performance aspects of both the below-water (hull) and above water (cabin, deck, etc.).

Aug 13, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
n_

My college had a naval officer come to our 4th year studio and spoke about the US Navy's dire need for architects to design their bases and underwater spaces. I know they were hiring recent architecture grads to work under licensed architects to ensure that you would still be able to receive IDP credit.

They pay was better than one would expect.

Aug 13, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe
naval architect

hang on - i see per entering the studio.

in 3...2...1...

Aug 13, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I do know that landlubber (non-naval) architecture firms are often comissioned to do the space planning and interior design for large cruise ships.

Aug 13, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
freedom ship

...enough said

Aug 13, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh yeah i forgot about that

Aug 13, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

Freedom ship? WTF?!?!

Aug 13, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

you forgot about what?

Aug 13, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: