Archinect
anchor

young architects and construction

evilplatypus

i clicked on this link from a google banner ad

youngarchitectsbuild

It seems like a good place to vent frustration about the diminished role of the architect in many of the project delivery setups now days as well as how we came to this point and how we may strengthen our positions. Its very specific and I thought I'd share.

Aug 11, 07 2:15 pm
vent frustration

seems to be the major point of it. he's got some axes to grind, eh?

the intention - to educate young architects regarding what they need to learn as they evolve as professionals - is a good one. he just might need to keep his cynicism in check a little or give us more meat to back up his criticisms of the states of various things.

Aug 11, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I just noticed the Ron Paul links as well..

But its a start, a site specifically dealing with the profesional education or lack there of, or put another way "miseducation" of the profession. I agree, its a little light on specifics.

Aug 11, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

I saw this on a google ad as well, and after clicking on it I started to get a little suspicious. Why would someone pay the money to have google advertise their blog? He seems to mention Revit a lot, but then, so do we here on archinect ... I smell some kind of marketing/astroturf/sock puppetry going on here, but it's tough to figure out what the angle is.

Aug 11, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

seems way to connected w/ gensler as well.

Aug 11, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

yeah i can't get it to stop showing up. every time a goddamned architecture-related word appears in my inbox, there he is. any way to stop this?

someone coming off that crochety will never get his point across effectively, at least not to the young people he believes so dearly need his wisdom. back off, gramps -- you don't know me!

Aug 11, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

if you ever spend more than 80% of your time onsite, back to back with the contractor, you'll realize why it is often said that the profession has lost control to the contractors....

Aug 13, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 

is it really like that where you are? construction sites i have been on were not/are not. apart from experience with nasty people (not so often, luckily) i have found relationship usually reciprocal and respectful with contractors.

case in point, on current project my partner and i want to make own brick system for parking area of small house. contractor thinks we are slightly insane but is totally in to it and volunteered to help us figure out how to make the damn things (some funny concrete and casting to be worked out), giving us his expertise as partner in our ambition. gratis. just cuz he wants to make a good building as much as us and thinks it is worth time to work things out together. we are doing it ourselves cuz is only way to get it done wihout paying through nose. and we have a studio space, so why not...

anyway, that blog is quite angry. sounds like corporate dude, compensating with fake synthi-intelli-speak (phrases like "program will be rolled out...," etc) that screams ambitious but frustratingly untalented wannabi...

Aug 13, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

brinca,

not stating that the contractors are all analentries, but the decisions made onsite that defer from most contract documents go largely undetected and usually undocumented. sometimes it jumps the architect and goes directly to client from gc with the belief that he is the "true builder", while the other is a "distant dreamer". the client will always get his ear chewed by the one who claims he knows best by being more direct hands on with the product, as opposed to seeing all facets at the same time, which the architect is SUPPOSED to do.

Aug 29, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

now im getting annoyed, this thing pops up every day in my gmail banner ad

Aug 29, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: