Archinect
anchor

Volunteer Opportunities in Chicago

jsimansk

hello everyone -

i'm looking for some volunteer opportunities in Chicago to help earn some community service time for the IDP . . . I'm not in a big rush (i won't have the rest of my hours for a little while), but I do want to find a worthwhile and meaningful way to contribute. ideally i'll find a cause to help with long term that will help me meet some new and interesting people in the community (i've only lived here a year), not just until i've fulfilled the minimum. although i'd like to utilize my skills, i'm open to some ideas outside of architecture.

thanks all for any ideas!

Aug 9, 07 10:40 pm
vado retro

join an advocacy group for a historic building. for example, the uptown theatre. plus its close to the green mill tavern!

Aug 9, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Be in touch with the Chicago Architecture Foundation - www.architecture.org or the AIA Chicago. Or consider being in touch with the local schools of architecture.

Sep 16, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

you can be a volunteer tour guide at one of the many landmark buildings around town, or on the walking tours for the CAF.

Think: Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Oak Park, or Robie House.

Sep 17, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
postal

chicagocares.org

for whatever reason i also tried to get involved with c3 & the center for green technology... they never returned my calls or emails, i guess they're conserving energy

being a docent (tour guide) is a serious time commitment, classes, testing etc.

another friend became a "big brother"

Sep 17, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

windycity habitat never returned my emails, which was a bummer, but theoretically you could help build habitat houses with them

Sep 17, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

i have had multiple friends get involved with big brothers / big sisters and seriously love it.

Sep 17, 08 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

vonlunteer to be mantaray's boy/girl friday. manta is a very busy young professional in the cityty. you can pick up her cleaning, do her shopping, and do other errands for her. although this is volunteer work she will reward you with fresh baked cookies!

Sep 18, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 
jsimansk

thanks for the ideas - to follow up:

- i looked into guiding tours for CAF, but decided i just couldn't put in the time needed, or guarantee that i could make all of the required classes

- while i've been to the CGT for a bunch of speakers, they too ignored my emails. its also logistically tough to get over there at night (i don't like riding my bike after dark)

- i thought about being a big brother, but honestly have always had a hard time dealing with youger kids. i haven't ruled out tutoring/mentoring at the high school level, but again, looking for something arch-related which has been tough because i don't have any local connections to the school system

in the end, i made arrangements this past spring to offer design services to a small non-profit looking to build a new facility. they have a piece of land that is being donated, and i helped them to develop a program and conceptual design. i'm putting together some presentation drawings now that they can use for fundraising - maybe they'll have the money to build the project someday. i've actually learned a lot through the process - if anyone local is looking to undertake something similar i'd be open to partnering and doing other pro-bono work in the future.

Sep 18, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

i second vado's suggestion!

although lately the cookies have actually become chocolate cake.

how did you partner yourself up with the non-profit? cold-call, or connection? that sounds like fun.

Sep 18, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: