Archinect
anchor

How to obtain CE credit for a non AIA members

ih1542006

How are we supposed to get CE credits if we are not AIA members?

Aug 9, 07 10:48 am

you can still get CE credits without being a member... you will just have to keep track of them and document them yourself rather than letting the AIA do it for you...

Aug 9, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

How, where ? I know Arch Record has CE articles in the back.

Aug 9, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

manufacturer websites often have them available.

just go to 4specs.com and enter "aia ces"

doesn't your office have some resource? how do the other archs get their CES req's. fulfilled???

Aug 9, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

check out www.architects.org/ce it has a lot of info on getting CE credits even if you are not a member... look for the PDF, there's a bunch of links on the last page

Aug 9, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

architphil

Currently, I am self -employed

Aug 9, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Sorry
I meant el jeffe

Aug 9, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I am not an AIA member but I have a number just to record CE credits. I got it from the AIA website.

Aug 9, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

check out this page on the AIA website... there's some good information there...

strawbeary, are they keeping your transcript for free? if so, how did you manage that?

i skimmed through the AIA CES Survival guide (linked from the above site) and it says in there that AIA will keep your transcript for $125/year...

as mentioned above, you can earn some credits by doing the "courses" in archrecord... you can earn others by having lunch-and-learns in your office... although if you're a sole practioner you may have trouble getting providers... you could possibly talk with another local firm about letting you attend their lunch ceu sessions when they have them... other options may be attending sessions that your local AIA offers (in most cases you wouldn't have to be a member, but may pay a non-member premium)... and the easiest/quickest way is to attend a conference which would knock out most/all of your required hours for the year...

this is a good question which i've thought about a little recently as i'm about to finish the ARE and become licensed... so i'll need to start logging hours... but i'm probably going back to school too... so i'll need to figure out a way to earn my hours while in school...

Aug 9, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Jackpot!

185 self study courses check out : http://www.aecdaily.com

Aug 9, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

If you hold multiple licenses I think you can send them to NCARB and they will distribute them to the states for you as part of your yearly dues.

If you only hold one state license then you just send them directly to that state board

Aug 9, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I don't think NCARB has any mechanism for dealing with continuing ed credits.

Check with your state board also to see what counts as continuing ed, and how much documentation is required. My state counts things like working on curriculum development for architecture-related courses. They also only require a self-reported list of how you've fulfilled the requisite units, and just audit about 5% of architects per year to make sure they have documenation.

Aug 9, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

I found it was just to hard to do, so I gave in and joined the AIA.

The Arch Record forms don't seem to work without the AIA number, and the freebies I found just count as 1/10th of a CE credit.

I later figured out that the best option was to buy a couple of the NCARB CE books (expensive, but cheaper than the 10 bucks a pop for the Arch Record points, and way faster.) So I could have done this without the AIA, but all in all I'm OK with having joined. Membership cost is really too high, but that's life.

Aug 9, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: