Archinect
anchor

end-grain bamboo plywood...

A Center for Ants?

found plyboo by smith&fong

but they're "re-engineering" all their >3/4" thickness plywood according to the rep and don't have anything thicker avail. i want at least 1" or 1-1/2" thick with the end-grain exposed to the primary surfaces. can't find another manufacturer that does it.

found a lot of parquet by that looks crappy. anyone know of an alternative? the furniture is going to be custom CNC milled to create depressions and texture in the surface so we don't want to double up and layer two 3/4" sheets (to avoid that line between the layers)

thanks!

Aug 8, 07 3:57 pm
A Center for Ants?

please ignore that awful sink in the above pic. pics are from a distributor website...

Aug 8, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

A slightly different look, but still cool: a friend sent me a link to Kirei Board a while back, and I've been dying to use it somewhere. They say it comes in 30mm (1.18") thickness.

Aug 8, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

why not pressure laminate it? Seems like an easy enough option - 2no. sheets lam glue and a pressure glide, clamp and let dry

Aug 9, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

acfa, how much is that plyboo stuff per s.f.?

Aug 9, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

we got quoted $180-220 depending on finish per 3/4" 36x72 sheets and exact volume of order (we said it'd be small, under 10 sheets).

Aug 9, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh and talked to a distributor. the end-grain orientation must be heavily reinforced in furniture applications as the grain does nothing to give you structural strength. the glue lam was tending to vertically shear. that's why they're re-engineering the thicker sheets.

Aug 9, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how can bamboo be plywood when bamboo is grass?

Aug 9, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

thats why they call it "plyboo"

Aug 10, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 
xacto

rationalist, do you know what the psf of that kirei board is?

Feb 9, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

xacto:
Item # Thickness Dimensions Sheet Weight
KB 3610 10mm 36"x72" 19.4 lbs.
KB 3620 20mm 36"x72" 35.1 lbs.
KB 3630 30mm 36"x72" 43.2 lbs.

Feb 9, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

I would be surprised of you could CNC mill Kirei board, its not very high density and thus would probably crumble, chip or otherwise come apart.

Feb 10, 08 2:40 am  · 
 · 
xacto

thanks el jeffe...i was wondering about the pricing...any idea?

Feb 10, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: