Archinect
anchor

Construction Management or Architecture?

arivas208

I am about 30 credits away from receiving a BS in construction management. I also has an AS in drafting and design. I have 5  years of construction experience as well as 3 years of working as an architectural drafter. I have an interest in architecture even though construction management wages are higher. How would architectural firms view my resume and experience compared to a graduate from an architecture program? Would they even consider me over one of these graduates? Are architecture wages really that low that I would later regret not getting into construction management? Comments? 

Nov 26, 12 12:45 am
LITS4FormZ

You find a lot of architects wishing they had gotten into construction management. Can't say I know too many in const. mgmt. that wish they were architects. 

Work for a design-build firm and you'll figure out which path is for you.  

Nov 26, 12 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I'd stay with construction management. I've posted here a few times about making the move. I'm working with the federal government in Canada on housing construction and it's well worth the move.

The work is a little dry, but the wages are much much better, the work is stable and the work life balance couldn't be better.

Design-Build may be an option, or eventually working for a developer which would allow you to see all spects from urban planning, design, construction and a bit of business.

Nov 26, 12 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

you guys might not know that the architects can play a much bigger role in real estate firms than they work in regular architecture firms.

I have this impression after i notices so many developments happened in china. I believe working in architecture firm will provide the basic training for all the other fields. So I suggestion to the poster is to work in architecture firm first, after 3-5 years, you are free to move to other fields like construction.

Nov 26, 12 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wahooarchitect

Given that you are almost there with the CM degree, I'd definitely finish that program.  After over 40 years as an architect, working in large E/A and A/E firms as well as in small A offices, and having my own practice for several years, I'd opt for the CM role for all the reasons chris-chitect noted above.  No doubt: better pay, better hours, more opportunity to influence good design if you move into development or perhaps design/build.

Oct 31, 16 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

Hello arivas208 , I know its a long time since you opened this threat but I am sort of  in the same situation as you were in 2012. I have completed my Bachelors in Architecture[2017]. I do not have that design flare to do great innovative designs, though architecture still interests me. I am considering starting my own firm after few years of experience in a architectural firm. If I am going to start my architecture firm is it worth doing masters in construction management ?

Feb 16, 18 1:58 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I do not have that design flare to do great innovative designs, though architecture still interests me

You don't sound overly enthusiastic.  The only really good reason to start an architectural practice is to do design.  A masters in construction management isn't needed for a practice.  Why not go into construction management for all the reasons others have enumerated (assuming you have an interest in it)?

Feb 16, 18 9:04 am  · 
 · 
_SAM

geezertect

I agree with you  but I think construction manangement would keep me in a better position to deal with clients get more projects.

Feb 16, 18 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

CM or DB

Feb 16, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
_SAM

isnt it the same ?

Feb 16, 18 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: