Archinect
anchor

Contractor for New Modern House in CT?

RankStranger

Here's the problem: We designed a new house for a client in the region between Danbury and New Haven, CT and are having the damndest time finding a contractor to build the thing. Our office is in New York so our familiarity with the building community out there is zero. It's a modern house and the home builder we have been working with for 4 months now is flaking on us because the house has a flat roof, some minor steel framing, and metal wall panel siding. Does anyone know or recommend a contractor that could and/or would be interested in a project like this? Should we be looking for a more commercial contractor? Any good Construction Management firms even? I've almost Googled myself to death now and am coming up with very little. Thanks for the help in advance.

Aug 2, 07 11:44 pm
Bloopox

"The region between Danbury and New Haven" is pretty big. I've found that CT contractors can be very regionalized (traffic/commute times for their workers is a big factor). Can you be a bit more specific about where? I can probably come up with some candidates.

Aug 3, 07 8:34 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Actually I misspoke - It's halfway between Danbury and Middlebury (each less than 30 min away), in Newtown / Sandy Hook. Bridgeport may be a possibility too (less than 40 min). I appreciate the help.

Aug 3, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

You might want to try to track down a builder who has worked on modernist houses/restorations in New Canaan. It's not too far from Newtown; they also might know another contractor to recommend.

Aug 3, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
emaze

contact somone at peter l. gluck partners (nyc). they sometimes do their own contracting (AR/CS), and might have good info...

Aug 3, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

What is the construction budget? If it is a big house, I would look at Hobbs, Inc in New Canaan. They are pretty much the gold standard for residential construction in Connecticut.

For a smaller firm, check out Dave Prutting, also in New Canaan.

If those don't work out, drop me an e-mail.

Good luck.

Aug 3, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I already thought of the New Canaan approach, problem is it's an hour away. The budget is in the $600-700K range. It's not that big but I really like Dave Prutting's work - I will try them first, maybe they travel.

Aug 3, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

In that price range, you will need to look at a lower level (smaller) contractor than I recommended. When I am in the office, I will check my contacts to see if I can come up with anyone.

And don't worry so much where an office is based. I work in Greenwich and a lot of the contractors that I work with come from an hour or so away. Hell, my commute is close to that.

Aug 3, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
snooker

pollen sounds like a pretty small project by economic standards in
Connecticut. Contractors are lean and mean this time of the year in Connecticut. The good ones are all busy....Wishing you lots of luck.
Now if it were 1.5....and up then there are guys out there more than willing to handle the project.

Aug 3, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: