Archinect
anchor

Exit Signs - Upper Level and Low Level

hyperbody

The code seems to be quite general when dealing with low level exit signs.

Does anyone know when low level exit signs are actually required?

Thanks!

Aug 2, 07 9:08 pm
some person

I heard just yesterday from our electrical sub-contractor that low level exit signs will soon be required in some jurisdictions. That's all I know, I haven't heard anything definite.

Aug 2, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

i don't understand the question.

Aug 3, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

sw, i think this might be in reference to the nightclub fire in Rhode Island - Great White - they are mow creating exit signage that will be integrated into exit doors at the bottom of door panel and panic hardware, these will be lighted...

Aug 3, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I saw this for the first time in a motel in Spokane a few months ago. There were two ordinary back lit exit signs, one mounted above the exit access door, one next to the jamb about 12" above the floor. Weird.

Aug 3, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
some person

...so you'll see the exit signs if you're crawling beneath the smoke. Although it's not attractive, I think it's a good idea.

Aug 3, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

actually, it's not bad looking, in fact it's rather ingenious. i hate all those signs hanging or applied to walls. when you think about it, stop, drop and roll is what we've always been told, get low to the ground smoke and heat rise, so if i am low i could see the exits if they are directly on the base of the door.

Aug 3, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

We have only had to do that once.

Of all things, in a car wash tunnel.

Aug 3, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: