Archinect
anchor

POLYCARBONATE PANELS ANYONE????? (HELP)

You guys know what I am reffering to, correct?
Those panels that are on quite a number of projects around (esp. europe) but are popping up around the US. Most notably recently in Steven Holls projects (I think in the recent Arch Record as of late).

I am enquiring the manufacturer and or some further knowledge by the gallery on this product. I have done some research and have found some items, but wanted to "pick your brains" and get an over all feel and feedback on the material.

Thanks again all.

Jul 31, 07 8:24 pm
MADianito
panelite

??? maybe u want to see it applied to a facade???

aaahhh u want the white ones maybe.... i dunno, plenty of choices, actually DILLER&SCOFIDIO ICA project at Boston, had in the original project this 3m fil which gives u the effect of a blured/sandblast glass as u move in front of it, but always gets a clear view perpendicular to ur eyes... i dunno if at the end they did it...but plenty of panels and effects to do...

Jul 31, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Ive used it on a project - once!
-people tend to go w/ kalwall b/c its cheaper and easier to design b/c kalwall has the frame already built around the panel...I dont know maybe some poly-carb mnfr have designed a framing system for their panels
- The company i used was SuperSky
-The application i used I have to say was kinda lame(5'x8' roof panel)...it actually wasnt that bad but im my own worst critic

- all i gotta say is shop drawings!!!

-Side note: ive also herd of the poly-carb panels being used like a piece of glass in a storefront system

-and this I thought was a great application

Jul 31, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Try these: www.deglasamerica.com

And Macrolux also makes a multiwall Polycarbonate Sheet.

The issue with polycarbonate is that it can yellow and weaken with sun exposure. Newer manufacturers claim this is no longer an issue, but it would be interesting to see field tests to prove it.

Incidentally, Steven Holl's project was structural channel glass, not polycarbonate.

Jul 31, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

aren't the polycarbonates very environment unfriendly and poisionous?

Jul 31, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I drove a church van to Charlotte, NC to pick up $8,000 smackers worth of polycarbonate for my boss (once professor) in college. I was so scared I was going to crash the church van with his precious polycarbonate.

Jul 31, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

the holl and d+s projects are not polycarbonate panels. they are a channel glass system :

http://www.bendheimwall.com/

very $$$ stuff.. bid out some for a house and installed was about $300sq./ft. its only made in germany.. but its basically structural glass, no need for a frame..

Jul 31, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

polygal

Jul 31, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

cram some aerogel between those polycarb panels and bam!! you've got a bitchin Rvalue

Jul 31, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've seen a few houses made of the stuff - including the VT solar decathalon house (which is pretty decent)

did a study just after school. the weathering apparently has come a long way, it doesn't get as brittle and break down from UV as it used too.

the european projects tend to use rodeca, which has a much nicer multi-wall product w/ joining system and integral metal clips for connecting to structure.

the light quality inside is phenomenal, and if you're doing the passive green thing, it's pretty convenient.

florian nagler - kaufmann holz

nagler - house in gleissenberg

pfeifer kuhn - house - polycarbonate over thick wood

allmann sattler wappner - model builder's shop - polycarbonate over thick wood

[img=http://www.nextroom.at/data/media/med_media/big/fa001047.jpg[/img]
walter unterrainer - polycarbonate over insulation

sejima - s house

and holl does go for the profilit - the detailing at the bellevue arts museum is pretty awful, though.

Jul 31, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Lego Builder

ive been talking to these guys a little.
its not poly, but i have some samples
and it is pretty neat stuff. it doesnt
break down in exterior applications as
the UV barrier is in the resin and not a
film.

http://lightblocks.com/

Jul 31, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

holz.box - i'm always impressed with images you post.

i've used macrolux polycarb in a backlit interior condition so far, my only advice is to stand there and remind the installers to 1) pre-drill and 2) don't dimple the damn panels when fastening them with their screw guns fer chrissakes.

i just bought a 6mm sheet to be installed in my new home office - it'll act as a clerestory borrowed-lite to the adjacent room.

Aug 1, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

el jeffe -
i'm a walking encyclopedia of germanic architektur. my take is if i enjoy these projects, maybe you other geeks might, too.

the rodeca system is great (but boucoup bucks) - there is no screwing through the polycarbonate - you maintain a clean and even face. here's the section

your home project reminded me of another polycarb project, a library/office in the roof of a fairly typical swiss house. there were these massive floor-to-ceiling skylights that were more like doors, they opened up on to a fantastic view - the "doors" were polycarb and there was just a minimal flatbar handrail. anyway i'll see if i can funnel some images...

Aug 1, 07 1:13 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

nevermind, i guess it was atelier lang by nagler architekten i was thinking of:

Aug 1, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
brickmaster

Duo Gard Industries - was decent to work with. I liked the T&G panel system.

Aug 1, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

some of the mfr have an optional automotive polymerized coating that lessens the impact of particle sanding, piting and UV degradation. I think Duo-Gard was $30 / S.FT. installed (varies)

bending along radii possible

Extech has a similar product

CPI has an interesting spin on this system as well - multicellular.

All have moderate R values 2-4; basically air

Aug 1, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

for comp - benheim channel glass uninstalled, anealed was $28/ Sq. Ft.

Aug 1, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
brickmaster

I think we had duo-gard at approx. $35 a sq. installed.

I believe a lot of it depends upon location. Los Angeles you can find suppliers and installers all over the place. Other places source from distribution hubs and installers are limited. I'm in Virginia and had one supplier tell me the nearest stock was in Charlotte, NC. This made shipping almost as expensive as the polycarbonate for a small job.

Aug 1, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

we were pricing 50,000 s.ft. of it. maybe had econmy of scale going, massive parking garage base to a tower.

Aug 1, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Thanks all.....the application I am going for is on a few key bldg elements (and possibly a front lobby space) of a new police and fire headquarters in California. I've been looking for some mfg. so that I can also get some samples of the stuff to present to the client.

Holz, I too love german archicture, always so clean and very pragmatic, but in many cases so well done.

Thanks again guys.

Any other thoughts are always welcome.

(and yes, the channel block application is beautiful to look at as well)

Aug 2, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
grid

3form panels look pretty

Aug 2, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

we have used CPI quite a bit. They have roofing, double-skin walls, simples panels, etc.

http://www.cpidaylighting.com/pro1309.html

Aug 2, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
not without

3form ecoresin?

Aug 2, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

mouldable too^

Aug 2, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

3form ain't rated for exterior use right?

Aug 2, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i used polygal...i think..i'll have to double check..... i did a design/build screen porch where i used 3 panels....cost me $1200...wtf......... exteriors section on my site....fyi...

b

Aug 2, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa
http://www.cpidaylighting.com/

They have something called Pentaglas which also has good insulating properties. In section, it looks like a honeycomb pattern and they have it in a variety of thicknesses. We loved this stuff at my old job, but we never got a chance to use it. It's $12.50/sf w/o installation for the 1/4" 2-layer. According to their rep, this is the stuff that Rem uses.

Aug 2, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
grid

I was told (by a 3form rep) that the chroma panels can be used on exteriors.

Aug 2, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

watch the reps...

some more tasty polycarb goodness

Aug 2, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

An office I was with used 3form as an exterior countertop once. I believe we ended up spec'ing a sealant just to be sure, because 3form wouldn't guarantee it for exterior use.

Aug 2, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

3 form uses automotive coatings for exterior use - like car paint clear coats

Dimensional Stability: Susceptible to high degree of expansion and contraction in overall width and length depending on temperature. Works well with exterior sealants such as silicon.

Light Transmittance: Translucent. Resin can be cast in 30 colors of varying translucency, as well as encapsulating materials such as meshes, fabrics and organics.

Insulating Value: .5 to .7 U-factor range for resin per inch of thickness. R=1.4

Abrasion Resistance: Medium. Surface textures and coatings can help mitigate abrasion effects. Interlayer of colored film can negate scratches affecting color.

Cleaning: Standard cleaning methods such as squeegee, as well as good chemical resistance characteristics.

Coatings Available: Automotive polymerized lacquer finish coatings available, help with abrasion and UV degradation.

Textures Available: Multiple textures, encapsulations, image printing and scoring combinations possible and customizable.

Warranty: Unknown

Forming Ability: High; Can be extruded as structural shapes

material cost Chicagoland local '06 : $30/ Sq.Ft.

Aug 3, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

anyone come across an exterior railing system for residential use, that works with poly carbonate +/- 1/2" th. panels or panelite igu panels?

Aug 6, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Aug 7, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

Aug 7, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Hey holz, what project is that, those are some amazing photos!

I love this stuff....I just hope we can use it and it looks just as good.

Aug 7, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

mueller verdan weineck architekten - schulsporthalle "gotthelf" in Thun (CH)

Aug 7, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Nice, thanks mate!

Aug 7, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

do not run the channels horizontal unless you want some problems -- the material is great but you will get condensation so run the channels vertical to allow it to drain

Aug 7, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
rza

http://suddenlyissoonerthanyouthink.googlepages.com/img3m.jpg[/img]

Aug 7, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
The one good thing about some troll bringing back a post that is nine years old? Seeing some of the old guard, and getting wistfully sentimental.
Mar 17, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: