Archinect
anchor

Italian movie director Michelangelo Antonioni has died

Medit

so if yesterday was Bergman today is Antonioni...

Italian movie director Michelangelo Antonioni has died, mayor of Rome says

By The Canadian Press
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

ROME (AP) - Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni, best known for his movies "Blow-Up" and "L’Avventura," has died, officials and news reports said Tuesday. He was 94.

The ANSA news agency said that Antonioni died at his home on Monday evening. Antonioni depicted alienation in the modern world through sparse dialogue and long takes. Along with Federico Fellini, he helped turn post-war Italian film away from the Neorealism movement and toward a personal cinema of imagination.

"With Antonioni dies not only one of the greatest directors but also a master of modernity," said Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni in a statement.

ANSA said that a funeral would be held Thursday in Antonioni’s home town of Ferrara in northern Italy.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/CP_stories.php?id=56934

Jul 31, 07 6:28 am
Medit

vado, I'm faster than you... :p

Jul 31, 07 6:31 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

For a long time I had a hard time with Antonioni's films, that was until I saw The Passanger last summer. Amazing! That film still haunts me.

Jul 31, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

The last time I saw The Passenger was right after watching Last Tango in Paris (at a five hour Maria Schneider film festival back in the late 70s). It was like she walked out of one big fuck-up and then walked right into another big fuck-up. Hilarious, even without any punchlines.

Jul 31, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

these are guys are old and they die. everyone dies. fortunately they were able to do what they loved doing.

Jul 31, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

And thankfully what "they loved doing" helped me do what I love doing, which is watching inspiring films.

Jul 31, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

an anecdote;

antonioni has asked the owners of a gehry house to shoot portions of a movie and he was flatly rejected by the owners.
i know the owners by working on their detached addition to the house and restoring some of the gehry work that was decaying.
it wasn't so much so about rejecting a master film maker but more so about their nightmares about careless film crew destroying the house and only superficially fixing it afterwards. all too familiar story in los angeles.

Jul 31, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
J B Mollitt

That's unfortunate Orhan. I have friends in Toronto that used the capital and labour from a film production company to put an addition on their house. One of the owners is an architect and designed the space, so everyone came out ahead, mostly.

RIP from archinect news

Jul 31, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

very unfortunate, indeed. it would be a very accomodating house for camera too.

Jul 31, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

and he blew up a house in zabriskie point!

Jul 31, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

thanks stephanie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8DbODGsUM

Jul 31, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think that was my #1 movie to watch in college...

Jul 31, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Hard to believe it's now 41 years ago

. It was fun being a kid in the 60s, like I'm pretty sure my 4th grade teacher, Miss Kügler, read the fashion magazines (at least she got the hair-dos and the mini-skirt down pat). And seeing her amongst the nuns was a bit of modern cinema itself.

Yeah, rest in peace while the rest of us reenact.

Jul 31, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Who's next Jean Luc Godard?! If that happened, I'd be in shock.

R.I.P. Antonioni. Loved Le Ecclise.

Jul 31, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

Chabrol is still around as well.

Jul 31, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Antonioni just asked Kahn what he was doing in 1966.

Aug 1, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: