Archinect
anchor

God i feel old: When Whippersnappers and Geezers Collide

dsc_arch

I am slowly becoming a Geezer. Please help!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/26/fashion/26work.html

BTW How can I drop in a link that actually links?

Jul 30, 07 11:24 pm

It's even sadder when you're a whippersnapper who identifies with the geezers... my parents managed to impart that sort of thing to me, so I occasionally find myself appalled at the actions of people my own age. When asked to give redlines to another intern (who was effectively my junior but had the same title as me), and I recieve the response of "I'm just not going to do that." I just couldn't think of what to say. The gall of it just blew me over.

Jul 30, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Welcome to my world.

Jul 30, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Well, if I actually were an old geezer, I could've told her, 'Damn straight you're going to do it, because that's your job!'

Jul 30, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

working in a japanese office place, that whole article seems total foreign to me.

Jul 31, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Reminds me of the office dress thread as well.

“They have climbed Everest and excavated Machu Picchu,” she said, “but they have never had the experience of showing up for work at 9 a.m.”

That kind of says it all.

Jul 31, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'm currently in transition. I'll only turn 25 next month, but I'm already at that point in my life where I clean the house all night on Friday so my wife will let me play golf on Saturday morning. I also go to bed at 9:00 so I can get up at 5.

Jul 31, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

there's some merit to a portion of the gen y attitude. i don't think there has ever been a time when so many people so young are striking it out on their own . . . and succeeding! think about starting your own business at 23 years old. or starting a non-profit (they're NOT in it for the money- can you believe it!) at 28 and getting tons of press coverage.

some of the stereo type behaviors are a little ridiculous. stating you need friday's off because your SO has them off goes a little too far. but having a flexible work schedule in order to take friday's off; who wouldn't want that?

i'm a gen Xer and sometimes the things being accomplished litterally baffle and stagger me.

Jul 31, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

it seems pretty clear to me that there is just a significant gap in 'whippersnappers' and 'geezers' understanding of the world. dont be so bitter about it... they are what they are, accept it, move on. I apologize on behalf of all the badly behaving 20 somethings... I dont know many people who fit in that lazy whippersnapper group too which were referring... but of the ones i do know, i can name just as many deadbeat geezers to accompany them.

sorry for the reactionary post... im just tired of all younger people being painted with the same brush.

i think there is a lot of merit to the idea that younger people have grown up immersed in more stimuli than the generations prior... it fragments our focus... its not a negative thing, it just means that in general, it seems the younger generations are not as singularly focused as in generations passed. we've grown up with more options, more information, and its influenced our way of life to reflect that accordingly. Fragmentation of our culture largely created by the amount of information available to refine all our niche's makes it less and less likely that the definitions younger generations give themselves will be completely understood by older ones. The language changes

Jul 31, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
xacto

i thought it was pretty interesting to read the "i dress how i want" thread, and "i get paid too little" thread simultaneously.

Jul 31, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
simples

good article...interesting how i think some architectural practices tend to be extremely progressive regarding work culture, while some, extremely conservative (specially in re. hours/commitment/pay can become divisive issues in youngxold professionals)

sorry for the tangent, but what really has made me feel old, was when i saw this at the local bookstore

the gn'r rolling stone comemorative "Appetite turns 20"...(appetite for destruction being the last LP i purchased before shifting into compact discs)

Jul 31, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
e

damn, i am old. i still purchase vinyl.

Jul 31, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i purchase vinyl, and i just turned 27 today! is that old? i don't feel old at all. and i agree with whoever stated up there that this article seems very foreign. i guess i am in the middle of gens x and y, but seriously...people act like that? also, i admit that i skimmed it, but it seemed a little sexist...not wearting bras? halter tops? you know those aren't males sporting those fashions...

Jul 31, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i purchase vinyl also...some of my records are older than me...

Jul 31, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

happy birthday!...

Jul 31, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

youth is wasted on the young.

Jul 31, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
some person

A furniture rep from Steelcase (or was it Herman Miller) gave a lunch presentation a few months ago entitled Generations at Work. It highlighted the differences between the geezers and whippersnappers and how the physical environment characteristics (from finishes to space planning) is different between the two groups.

Jul 31, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

one of the young kids in the office was shocked that mark wahlberg was a famous singer before he became an actor. she was even more shocked that he was part of new kids on the block... I wouldn't be surprised if there are kids who don't know that John Lenon was in a band called the Beatles.

Jul 31, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dca, hey we had that presentation also. it was ricockulous.

Jul 31, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

This article seems really geared toward the financial world, which has always seemed chock-full of idiots to me. I am not surprised to see either young idiots or old idiots who, despite their aged wisdom, cannot seem to understand or remember how young people think. I hate these kinds of asinine articles. They only serve to bolster poor attitudes and strengthen nascent stereotypes. Good job, NY Times. I thought you were all about serious journalism...

Aug 1, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Ooh, news flash : young people are too self-centered to see themselves from older peoples' perspective and old people are too egotistical to empathize with young people. AKA people are self-absorbed assholes. Quick! Let's put this deep enriching analysis IN PRINT!

Aug 1, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You tell'em myriam. Articles like this are just column inches.

Aug 1, 07 5:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: