Archinect
anchor

Necessary architecture books

aking

In honor of the thread on banned architecture books I would like to start a listing of required books. If such a thread already exists please refer me to it.
Here are a few of mine,

Sun, Wind and Light-G. Z. Brown and Mark DeKay

The Architect's Studio Companion-Edward Allen
Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and Methods-Edward Allan
Graphic Guide to Frame Construction: Details for Builders and
Designers-Rob Thallon

Architectural Graphics-Ching
Building Construction Illustrated-Ching
Design Drawing-Ching

Pattern Language-Christopher Alexander

Suburban Nation-Andres Duany

The Death and Life of Great American Cities-Jane Jacobs

Portfolio Design-Harold Linton

Jul 30, 07 3:18 pm
corbusier4eva

Are we talking about books about being an architect, or books on architectural theory?

Theory books...

Eyes of the Skin, Juhani Pallaasma
Translations of Drawing to Building, Robin Evans

Jul 30, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Materials, Structures, and Standards - Julia McMorrough has been a lifesaver in Studio.

Jul 30, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Redesigning the American Dream by D. Hayden

Edge Cities - is a great book on the subject of suburbia.

Jul 30, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

beautiful evidence - edward tufte

Jul 30, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I was talking with staff today:

Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise by by Harvey B. Mackay

Great book that gives you a perspective of how to work in the real world.

Jul 30, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

for me, there are only three books on architecture you really need -

Towards a new achitecture, Learning from Las Vegas and SMXL...

Jul 30, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
sajimtk

I must obect to Linton's Portfolio Design, seems more suited for artists...

Jul 30, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

worth holding your breath for....

Towards a Squeezed-Out Architecture

Heavy Volume Everywhere

The Architect Came Twice (in foreign tongue)

One Size Fits All

Jul 30, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
aking

Is there an alternative to Linton's portfolio book? I didn't think it was fantastic or anything but it did relay the importance of documenting work etc. I really wish I had that book (or something related) when I started school.

Jul 30, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

a must for all clients:

Does Your Architect Wear Boxers or Blobs?

Jul 30, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
zumthor works

appliance house

blue monday

scanning - D+S

Jul 30, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

andrea deplazes - constructing architecture
h+dm - vol. 1
concrete construction manual
masonry construction manual

i'll skip on suburban nation.

Jul 30, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Mask Of Medusa
Education Of An Architect

Jul 30, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Staying Small Successfully: A Guide for Architects, Engineers, and Design Professionals

Jul 30, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared
Visual Grammar

, Christian Leborg

Jul 30, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

treekiller, I'll second zumthor works.

I waited 2 years for a copy of scanning, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. I think the Charles Renfro lectures I went to kind of spoiled the surprise.

Jul 30, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

I think whilst we are talking about which books are required it might also help to state where you are in the architectural loop-hole - simply because the things I thought neccesary in school are different to me now. Overkill perhaps.

Jul 30, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

So I'll start.

30, unregistered, lead in a multi-discipline govt practice

13 ways - Richard Harbison
GA no.6 Steven Holl
2G <- anything they produce

I know the latter two are periodicals but they are worth it

and I'll add SMLXL as well even though I've only gotten it - I've read it a few times and its amazing how much its shaped the practice of architecture since its release.

Jul 30, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
oliverL

You should have this by your bed - modern architecture:a critical history by kenneth frampton. the classical language of architecture by john summerson is a useful introduction from antiquity to renaissance. I also agree with other posts prescribing learning from las vegas and s,m,l,xl.

Jul 31, 07 4:09 am  · 
 · 
aking

Why pass on Suburban Nation? Please elaborate.

Jul 31, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Required by who? And necessary for what? Maintaining the status quo? Continuing a narcissistic dialogue? What's the point? Read something else. I recommend, "Where the Wild Things Are."

Jul 31, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
aking

I believe there are tiers of necessary books. Let's say for the beginning architecture student, the graduate/intern, the professional, and just for kicks/fun/pleasure. I started this thread b/c as a new graduate I realized I no longer have someone telling me what books I "have" to buy.
I am interested in what is in other architects libraries and maybe why. I don't expect to like/agree with everyone's selections but I enjoy seeing what is out there that I may have otherwise overlooked.

Jul 31, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

any of the books published by detail.

Jul 31, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

That's right, a lot of it is just "maintaining the status quo." Not just reading other things, how about writing other things too? Architectural literature could be so much more creative.

Jul 31, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

I'm no new urbanist but reading Suburban Nation has opened my eyes, significantly. Whilst I highly disagree with Andres building aesthetic his thoughts on urban design and what suburban design unfortunately are run parallel with my own thoughts and ideas

Jul 31, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, ditto what 'philia said.

my sentiments exactly.

Jul 31, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm with honk. the world would be a better place if there were more people writing about architecture than reading about it.

that being said, "supermodernism," hans iblings

Jul 31, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
aking

I would assume that the great writers of architecture were readers first. One has to start somewhere and build upon that knowledge.

Jul 31, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

ASS U ME

Jul 31, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
aking

haha. Great play on words. Never would have thought of that one. One doesn't write a book without reading one first. I don't believe that is an assumption.

Jul 31, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

aking, you started a thread that I enjoy reading and writing in. Plus I've learned a few things, and I've even been inspired. Thanks.

Yes, you're right, reading and writing go hand in hand, and that's what's very creative about writing within cyberspace, the integralness of reading and writing.

There's so much to read now and there are so many ways to write/publish now, and I've become very fond of the places where you can actually do both.

As to books, I had and still have many, and at this point I'm seriously thinking of taking a lot of them apart and then mixing and rearranging all the various pages into a series of new books. Maybe I'm foolish, but I anyhow imagine there's a great untapped realm beyond the status quo.

Jul 31, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I know one such place where you can simulatneously read/write/publish/discuss latest facts and fads in architecture - Archinect!!! Why read anything else?

Thanks Archinect!

Aug 10, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
NEUFERT
Aug 10, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

These are must reads for anyone in the field.

Complexity and Contradiction
and/or
Learning From Las Vegas

Delirious New York

Sep 19, 07 7:14 am  · 
 · 

grab what interests you.
the more books you have/read the better.
build a library.
have 'em at your fingertips.

the books that help you grow your architectural understanding may not be architecture books.

absorb everything, as much as possible.

Sep 19, 07 7:36 am  · 
 · 
ether

GRRM's ASoIaF is absolutely required.

Sep 19, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

afterculture - jerry herron

the metapolis dictionary of advanced architecture

the poetics of space - gaston bachelard

Sep 19, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

atlas of novel tectonics

Sep 19, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: