Archinect
anchor

Who designed this house in the East Hamptons?

Juice Mouse

Thanks.

Jul 29, 07 9:41 pm
rob(E)

an architect

Jul 29, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^r u sure?

Jul 29, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

^hahaha, no

Jul 29, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it was a one time collaboration between stern and venturi gone terribly wrong.

Jul 29, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
njp

bobby permanti. remember him?!

Jul 29, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

is that a thatch roof? With a chimney coming out of it? Nice! Seems like a gag

Jul 30, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 
KEG

I think those are bell towers, not chimneys ;)

Jul 30, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
myriam

it's pretty interesting!

Jul 30, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

What's wrong with it?

Jul 30, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

what is not wrong with it?

Jul 30, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 
KEG

It kinda looks like this

and this

with a bit of this

and maybe a tad of this

Jul 30, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

No really, does someone want to offer some particular criticisms?

Jul 30, 07 6:00 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

nothing wrong with a little modern shingle style. i particularly like the h.h. richardson eyebrow dormer at the very center.

Jul 30, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
simples

it looks very intriguing to me...there is some cynicism in the design, but the "body and skin" seems to be forceful enough to challenge the traditional form everyone seems to be reacting to///it seems thoughtful to me, and i'd like to be informed about the background of the design ///if you open the image to it's full size, there is a smaller contemporary structure to the right, that seems to belong to the same property, which in turn, makes me think this is not an entirely new building...would love to find out more...

Jul 30, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I know nothing about the building, but in that photograph, it looks like there is something interesting going on with the wall-surfaces, and I quite like the relationship between the large square window and the thatchy roof. It looks a bit eighties, though. Any more pictures of this, emus?

Jul 30, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Juice Mouse

here it is, larger.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1242/943130233_b56595080e_o_d.jpg

Jul 30, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

it was mondrians idea, rietvield worked on it after corbu was fired.
plans were discovered at a fire in bronxs and were sold to an insurance lawyer. owner felt free to go as far as he could go with the ideas.

~

this corbu project was done right after he was fired from the hamptons thing.

Jul 30, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
simples

the smaller contemporary building on the right really makes me think that there is more about this structure...

i don't like the scale of the building as much now that i am looking at it a little closer on the larger image...

Jul 30, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

didn't corbu bring the plans over in a trunk when he was working on the un? the thugs from tammany got a hold of the trunk in a dark alley encounter and the project went on hold. or so the story goes.

Jul 30, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

That is a shingle roof....with rolled edges....and a sign out front that says this is Bernies House.....Party this Weekend

Jul 30, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

an undated rietvield photomontage of the original assignment. which was comissioned by three sisters from arizona whose father had a gold mining company.

Jul 30, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

classic, orhan. did abra dig that iamge up for ya out of his archive?

Jul 30, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that's an interesting archival photograph, orhan, i had never seen before. it appears that the shingle style roof was incorporated to unify the three volumes.

Jul 30, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

charles and ray eames were working as project architects for rietveld at the time and the building's exterior patterns were inspired by these cabinets...being explored by the eameses as a side project...

Jul 30, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: