Archinect
anchor

summer listening

I can't keep the new Crowded House CD out of my stereo! Anyone else a fan? And speaking of 90's bands getting back together, the new Smashing Pumpkins disc kicks your ass back to Mellon Collie...

What else is good this summer?

Jul 27, 07 5:37 pm

if you're an old crowded house fan, eldude, you need to look up the two disc compilation 'she will have her way'. one whole disc of australian women covering crowded house, finn brothers, and split enz tunes and then the second disc with the original versions. an amazing collection!

Jul 27, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the new Interpol album sucks

Jul 27, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

iv e been drivin around listenin to cheap trick!

Jul 27, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

ah, so 'sheila will have her way'? I'm going to see them in Oakland, can't wait.

Jul 27, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

disagree. new interpol is good. it grows on ya.

...and i thought crowded house was from the 80s?

Jul 27, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

just 'she', not 'sheila'.

Jul 27, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Steven: that was my attempt at a bad ozzie joke. Sheila.

Jul 27, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Black Crowes, Jet, Cold War Kids, AC/DC, Wilco, Sufjan Stevens, some country, some classic rock

Jul 27, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

echo + the bunnymen

Jul 27, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

bone thugs n harmony; eazy e; iggy pop/stooges; b-52s

Jul 27, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
galaxist

band: page france.
album:...and the family telephone.

Jul 28, 07 7:50 am  · 
 · 
ARKTEK

a lot of Sufjan Stevens, Stereolab/High Llamas, Thom Yorke/Radiohead, Arch in Helsinki, Royksopp/AIR, Steve Reich/Philip Glass, Rocky Votolato, Damien Rice

Jul 28, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 
domestic

Dinosaur Jr - Beyond

expected Lou - J hybrid songs, though why would i ever expect that, dino and sebadoh never did that. oh and that's another one.

Sebadoh's - The Sebadoh

Nobody seems like this one, it's one my favorites.

Jul 28, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
domestic

sorry, my 7th grade teacher always said i was careless when it came to writing; that should read:

Nobody seems to like this one, it's one of my favorites.

Jul 28, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

i love anything by lou barlow, though sebadoh is lower on my list than his solo and folk implosion stuff. i listen to bakesale more than any other sebadoh.

Jul 28, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Peru

The National : Boxer - cant get enough of that album, The fruit of serious lovemaking between Nick Cave, tindersticks, interpol...

Jul 28, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

can't get enough "of montreal" and the new wilco album. also old belle and sebastian, Tigermilk.

Jul 28, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

i've been listening to savath and savalas and piano overlord albums way too many times. they're both side projects of scott herren (prefuse 73). the savath and savalas albums is amazing, Golden Pollen.

Jul 28, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

oh, also check this out too if you're into prefuse.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LOUDG5zWGBU

It's a cool video and the song is cool and I had never heard it anywhere else.

and bonobo has a couple of really cool downtempo albums.

Jul 28, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

couple of my recent faves:

Battles : Mirrored - kickass polyphonic math/prog rock.

Arctopus...Behold : Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning - amazing new prog rock.

also high on the playlists recently: polyphonic spree, blackalicious, cap'n beefheart...

going to see wilco at the greek in berkely in a month.

Jul 28, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Whitest Boy Alive, "Dreams"
The National, "Boxer" + "Alligator"
Spoon, "Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga"
The Knife, "Deep Cuts"

Jul 28, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

My wife has been playing Spoon and The Knife nonstop for the past 6 months. I'm not complaining. I just thought it was crazy that someone else out there had the same taste in music.

Jul 28, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've had some old school aphex in my stereo for the last 3 months - it's great to come home, grab a beer and get cracking on my own work to some decent music for a change.

Jul 28, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I second Battles and Spoon's new albums. I was also disappointed in Interpol's new album, so I went back and listened to 'Turn on the Bright Lights' about ten times. Also anything out of Kitsuné.

Jul 28, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Australia can have Crowded House. We don't want them any more. I used to do jazzercise to 'Don't Dream it's Over'.

Jul 28, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

battles is math rock? yeah, no.

necrophagist + the new year, lately

Jul 28, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

MIA-crunch time draft your ass off
Best of Bootie 2007- dance your ass off
Decemberists(her majesty)- general chilling
Ryan Adams-my boss loves him so in the office, Gold is definatley growing on me

Jul 28, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

boards of canada- music has the right to children
- campfire headphase

Jul 29, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

battles not math rock?

wikipedia doesn't lie:

Origin Flag of United States New York City, USA
Genre(s) Experimental rock
Math rock
Post-rock
Progressive rock
Years active 2003–present
Label(s) Warp Records
Website Bttls.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_band

they come from con daballero...math rock extraordinaire. though i'm no expert.

apparently, battles doesn't like to be called math rock. and the grateful dead didn't like to be called a jamband. artists don't like labels.

but people do.

big deal.

Jul 29, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
a-f

My summer is going "chamber pop":

Jul 29, 07 5:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think the first seven tunes on gold, maybe some of my favorite music ever. have been listening to neil young/crazy horse live at the filmore which is freaking excellent. the new intern who is a junior in college was very impressed by the cragmeister's pandora station that i was playin at at work on friday, which included but was not limited to: arcade fire, my morning jacket, the knife, iron and wine, the shins with some leonard cohen thrown in. the thirty something coworker next to me had never heard of any of them.

Jul 29, 07 6:47 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I've been watching MTV in Denmark over a month now ... and it's programming is fascinating when compared to MTV in the US. First of all, the bands they show on Headbanger's Ball are harder and faster. And they seem to be mostly Scandinavian bands. For example, I saw a video by a (Swedish?) band called Fuckshovel. They also show stuff by Boris and Meshuggah. Really.

And they also have a Jackass or Wild Boys-type show that is pretty much over the top ... it's called Strutter. Google it. I'm not sure it's shown in the US. It is pretty revolting.

On the other hand, Danes have an interesting way to show their appreciation for music. At a bar two nights ago, Aphex Twin and Jay-Z was followed by the entire first side of Metallica's Master of Puppets. And, strolling in Kongens Have park the other day, I saw a couple picknicking, blasting Elton John from their boom box.

Weird.

Jul 29, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

man when i was in denmark all they showed was the ApAcHe marathon! :(

Jul 29, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm going to see crowded house and pete yorn, arcade fire and lcd soundsystem. i've been listening to Gojira and Mastadon, i've really tried to like Belle and Sebastian, but i can't get into it, perhaps it's only taken in pieces?

Jul 29, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
domestic

"i love anything by lou barlow, though sebadoh is lower on my list than his solo and folk implosion stuff. i listen to bakesale more than any other sebadoh."

That's actually why The Sebadoh is my one of my favorites, it introduces some laid back Folk Implosion abandonment/foreign vibes into sebadoh songs, maturing the sound of the band, while still offering a few Jason Lowenstein grunge songs, like on Bakesale.

Jul 29, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think fuckshovel is the best band name ever.

fucking swedes.

Jul 29, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Lately I've been listening to (in no particluar order): Lou Reed, Justice, The Shangri-Las, Blonde Redhead, Kraftwerk and Pulp. Oh, and I'm still not sick of Charlotte Gainsbourg's new album.

Jul 29, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i've been listening to no doubt's tragic kingdom...the basslines are so fun to play!

Jul 29, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rogue Agent

As big of an asshat as Kanye West is, I am diggin' his new "stronger" cut. Its a remix of Daft Punk but the video is a straight adaptation from Akira. Pretty sweet.

Jul 29, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

guitar/drums/laptop noise trio from Baltimore: WZT HEARTS

Caught 'em live the other week on the Ed Schrader Show

Jul 29, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

765, I call you 675 in my head. Blame Tommy Tutone.

Speaking of...I think it will be included in my summer listening...
ah, who am I kidding?
It has been every summer since '82.

Jul 29, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

867-5309

Jul 29, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

good call vado-sounds like my itunes...unfortunatley the radio stations in D.C. are subpar at best...i want to be freed from my headphones!

Jul 29, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Rogue Agent

by adaptation, you mean blatant rip-off, right?

Jul 29, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

no, 867530ny-ee-i-ene

Jul 29, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

listenin to my "harder they come" station of old reggae/great apartment cleaning music. and great sunday afternoon tunes.

Jul 29, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

So I just checked my most played list on my ipod, and I was surprise that I wasn't listening to what I thought I've been listening to. Only a couple of the names I listed up at the top are on there. So what I've really been listening to is:

Badly Drawn Boy
Cold War Kids
Black Crowes
the Decemberists
Grateful Dead
Ben Harper
G. Love

And I concur. The new Interpol album sucks. So does the new Bravery album.

Jul 29, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

And I like listening to both versions of heartbeats.

the Knife

and

Jose Gonzalez

Jul 29, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i've been listening to radiodread, from the same humans that brought you dub side of the moon.

Jul 30, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Thievery Corporation (eclectic electric)
K & D Sessions (Just listen to it, and oldie but a goodie)
Stereolab (cool happy psychobabble)

Jul 30, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: