Archinect
anchor

an open letter to consultants

el jeffe

i guess i'm a little jealous and, yes i always forget, but you working only mornings every friday always seems to screw-up the work flow.

Jul 27, 07 3:34 pm
mightylittle™

i can't speak for all consultants out there...but this consultant works friday afternoons.

Jul 27, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

toss some work my way...

Jul 27, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

you do MEP too?

Jul 27, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

I'm WAY jealous myself

Jul 27, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

me?

Jul 27, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

when i say i need coordination drawings to review before the deadline, it's because i can't guess that you want me to accommodate a 10'lx5'wx5'd mechanical unit above the ceiling. i may just have to change the whole damn structure after the deadline to make room for it!

Jul 27, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for calling me at 5:30 this afternoon to request a drawing of and ask a question about item #1 of 3, all of which you were supposed to have sent to me wednesday afternoon.

Jul 27, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

:cryzko: yeah you...i was joking.

Jul 27, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no, we can't change the floor to floor, yes, you will have to move the storm drains to the west, and no i don't care if we see the damn storm pipe, it's a parking ramp, not Ronchamp.

Jul 28, 07 7:06 am  · 
 · 
some person

"Dozens of for-construction sets are now being printed, and you're just now calling to tell me that there is additional coordination you need to do??"

"Why is it that I have more comments on submittals for the systems you designed that you do? A single comment that "General contractor should provide equipment per the contract documents" isn't really helpful to anyone."

"You're under contract to ME, not the GC, not the owner." (I've never had the guts to say this one.)

I posted this in the So what did we learn at the office this week? thread about 6 months ago. I have strong opinions about consultants:

I learned the benefits of having consultants:

Good consultants will save your a$$. You can count on their specifications and drawings to be great. They educate you on why they do what they do.

Bad consultants will also benefit your career, even if the path with them is rocky and frustrating. Why? Because you are forced to learn about what they AREN'T doing for you in order to coordinate items that need to show up on THEIR drawings. However, bad consultants will not educate you on why they do what they do. (Can you sense my frustration? But at least I learned a lot more about other trades...)

Jul 28, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'm in the first camp.

Jul 28, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

There seems to be a problem with the unit wall heater in the 64 SF Entry vestibule. The wall heater unit is about a third of the size of the room. You sure you specified the right unit?

Jul 28, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: