Archinect
anchor

Interior Design vs. Interior Architecture vs. Decoration

brzinsf

I am trying to enter the field of design but so far I have not received any good explanation of the differences between Interior Design vs. Interior Architecture vs. Decoration.
In terms of design approach, concept, professional pay, and simply definition, how do they differ?

I have received my degree in Environmental Studies (Environmental Planning and Sustainable Communities). Upon graduation until today (a year and a half) I have been working at an Architecture firm.
I am very passionate about design, art, and creating interior spaces that become a 3D exprience to all the human senses.
Im looking into receiving my Master once I have acquired enough experience to fully understand the field I will look forward to work in. Any suggestions on schools that have a multidisciplinary approach? I am looking for a degree that touches many aspeacts of design, where upon graduation there is a possibility to work with furniture design, environmental branding, interior (architecture, design, decoration...).
Many thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 07 1:23 pm
meta

i'm curious, where have you heard about interior architecture? there is something terribly wrong with that. and decoration?? people study courses on decoration as opposed to interior design?

Jul 26, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

My understanding is that,

Interior Decoration = throw pillows, furniture, curtains, maybe a new countertop

Interior Design = furniture + casework + any/all interior finishes + non-structural but more substantially spacial improvements

Interior Architecture = the name given to Interior Design programs that want to let you know that they are definitely not about Interior Decoration

Jul 26, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Not sure there is a real definition...
First of all let's throw the word "Decoration" out the F'ing door. That is what your next door neighbors mother does in her spare time...for her "girlfriends" from the tennis club...or much worse...look up "bobby trendy" for "the" definition of Decorator.
Next,
I work at an office predominantly run by "Interior Designers" who went to "Design" school...for: (ding...ding...ding...) Interior Design. There are also many "Architects" who went to traditional "architecture programs" designing "interior spaces" (I personally got tired of trying to design the next "phallus" for Mr.Developer who wants the cheapest but biggest appendage in the world)...having said that....
I can offer my experiences with the above.
We typically sit down as a team and come up with a concept/metaphor/design generator *(whatever you want to call it) for each project. I tend to drive the overall design, relying on the "interior designer" to start pulling together imagery/finishes/furniture...etc. that will work with the concept. I can generally give direction as to the color/texture/feel we should be going after...but have no clue (or interest) in knowing the thousands of fabric companies that are out there which can suit our projects that is what they went to school for, and want to do. There are some interior designers who are very capable of designing a "space"...but the ones I work with tend to lean on the material side of things. We try to "brand" each project if it needs it...or we re-think a brand if the current one doesn't work. We are fortunate to have on staff many graphic designers, writters, product designers...etc. which bring something valuable to each project.
Good luck!

Jul 26, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

interior designers don't like to be called decorators but people use both terms interchangeably. most of the interior design in my city (nyc) is done by architects. however, if you get an m.arch, you most likely will not be studying interiors in school.

You might want to look into a 2-year or less AAS program in interior design at a good school such as Parsons, Pratt, FIT, or the New York School of Interior Design. Your teachers will all be practicing architects, and because of that, you will have a solid network. There are courses in furniture design, lighting, etc. It's just an option you might want to think about.

Jul 26, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
brzinsf

Lets scratch out the D-word here, as it surely hits many nerves to designers and it appears to be irrelevant.

Distinctions between Interior Design and Interior Architecture, are we talking in structural terms?

As for materials and colors (carpeting, furniture, lighting), how much is left for the Designer to work with if not the D-word once he is creating the entire architectural design for the project?

As for graduate school, reccomendations over Interior Architecture and Interior Design? Any firm reccomendations in the Bay Area?

Thank you all for your insights, I truly appreciate it.

Jul 26, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

We just had a helpful discussion on this. Architecture vs Interior Architecture.

Jul 26, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Distinctions between Interior Design and Interior Architecture, are we talking in structural terms?

In very simple terms:

If you ever want to be a licensed architect, you need to get an accredited degree in Architecture, either a B Arch or an M Arch.

If you are not interested in being an architect, a degree in Design will do.

Interior Architecture is (IMO - and I risk re-starting an ongoing war here) a ruse, attempting to bring more respect to an interior design program. Some schools offer a degree in "interior architecture", which is a fancy way of saying interior design (again, for simplicity's sake, design which does not include structural, mechanical, or exterior envelope work). You cannot become a licensed architect with this degree, nor can you stamp construction documents for a building with this degree. However, you can still be involved in every aspect of design for a building, but will usually need to work with a licensed architect (or a licensed engineer) to get it built.

mr bojangles advice is quite good. It sounds to me like you don't care about designing the whole building, anyway.

Jul 26, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in an office that has both interior designers and doctors of architecture. the interior designers usually ask us to check on code issues and occupancy classifications. etc. structural issues really just go to an engineer. and you don't have to be a doctor of architecture to know when you need a beam to hold something up. you just need a little face time with the profession.

Jul 26, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
babs

our firm has a strong mix of both interior design and architectural work. we actually like to interview candidates who hold degrees in interior architecture because they tend to be more proficient technically than the typical ID grad ... yet, they still have the sensitivity and capability with color and texture and furnishings that we expect from strong interior designers.

we actually embrace the idea of interior architecture as an idea separate from either architecture or interior design. architects tend to be focused on the exterior and often don't quite understand what they need to understand when it comes to interior finishes and furnishings. interior designers tend to be overly focused on the interior finished and furnishings, often not grasping what the interior space is all about or needs to be. in our experience, architects tend to be too "hard" while ID professionals tend to be too "soft" in their views about the finished space.

while a portion of the architectural and the interior design community "gets" interior architecture as a space shaping activity, many do not and demonstrate a strong inflexibility arising from their own discipline. we're always glad to have individuals on our project teams who were trained in interior architecture and can stand in the middle and understand what's going on in both the architectural and the interior design realms.

Jul 27, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Interior designer (as opposed to decorator) should be a non-profession. The only reason it exists is because architects sold themselves short. We screwed up.

Now some people think they hire architects to design the exterior of a fancy-looking obelisk, but they don't trust the architect's taste on interiors.

A good architect is also a good interior designer. I just don't understand why this profession exists separate from architect.

Jul 27, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
cf

The AIA is proud to have incorporated the Interior Design profession into the Profession of Architecture. Upon passing an AIA approved exam, the legal title of the Interior Designer will be "Architect's CAD Monkey".

Jul 27, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

...must...fight....urge...to...comment....

yay babs!

Jul 27, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Ahhhh, go ahead!

Jul 27, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
A good architect is also a good interior designer. I just don't understand why this profession exists separate from architect.

I'm with you on this one, farwest. I'm an architect and I've never considered the design of the interior spaces of my projects to be in any way separate from the design of the exterior.

And, I hate to pull the registration card, but the fact is I worked my a** off to become a licensed architect and don't like seeing others use the title - either interior designers or design-build contractors.

There are amazing interior designers out there - my partner is one of them - who are incredible at "making space a place", in the highest sense of that phrase. I just don't want them calling themselves architects, because they aren't.

Jul 27, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

hmm... my only comment is this: interior designers understand their role. do architects?

Jul 27, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
file
"A good architect is also a good interior designer."

-- not sure I agree with this statement -- I think such statements are wishful thinking, or just arrogance run amock. I know tons of graduate (even licensed) architects who don't give a damn about the interiors and haven't a clue what to do once the wall, ceiling and floor finishes are determined.

we have fallen in love with this idea that, as architects, we're the total package - I don't think that's true for most of us - imho, we each need to come to grips with what we're good at and get comfortable with those areas where others actually might have a leg up on our own personal skills. we don't design the structure or the electrical system on our buildings, yet we don't typically hold the technical expertise of those consultants in disdain. why should we look down our noses at interior designers?

some of my best friends are interior designers.

Jul 27, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
brzinsf

not to have anything to the ubject and I very much appreciate all teh replyes and insight, from experience, hasnt "architect ACAD monkey" become the term for Interns thou.
What I appreciate about this forum is the opportunity to receive all types of inputs and ideas.
Your opinion indiferrant from what position you take, means a lot fo rme.

Jul 28, 07 6:39 am  · 
 · 
fokt

I would get an architecture degree at a school that has a strong interior program like Oregon or Parsons if you want to pursue interiors later. That way you can be a registered architect and still work on interior stuff. I'm an interior designer and am looking to go back to grad school for architecture because frankly, for me, the interior stuff is isn't substantial enough for me. It can seem frivolous. It is true that if you're an architect you should be a good designer from micro to macro. But that is subjective to one's own likes/dislikes, interests, skills, etc. I work at a large office with planning, LA, arch, int., graphics. We have lots of architects doing interiors. Some of them seem like they just sucked as architects or they meant to do interior but didn't. And some architects are sweet to work with. Get your architecture degree because you'll probably be more well-rounded and you'll have more opportunities.

Oct 10, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

The idea of interior architecture started with the early modern notion if the designkunstwerk -- the total work of art, and proponents of it like Eliel Saarnien. He, in particular, advocated designing from the inside of the building out -- from the experience of the interior spaces to the facade, to the structure that supports it.

Interior architecture at my school emphasizes things like lighting effects, evocative/emotive spaces, and yes, materials and finishes, much more than the architecture program. The students in the program still get a MArch degree, and can still earn a license, but expect to do work like large corporate lobbies, the interiors of fashion houses, et cetera.

Oct 10, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

The idea of interior architecture started with the early modern notion if the designkunstwerk -- the total work of art, and proponents of it like Eliel Saarnien. He, in particular, advocated designing from the inside of the building out -- from the experience of the interior spaces to the facade, to the structure that supports it.

Interior architecture at my school emphasizes things like lighting effects, evocative/emotive spaces, and yes, materials and finishes, much more than the architecture program. The students in the program still get a MArch degree, and can still earn a license, but expect to do work like large corporate lobbies, the interiors of fashion houses, et cetera.

Oct 10, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: