Archinect
anchor

Northeast LA

corbusier4eva

Anyone live / work in this part of Los Angeles that could comment on what its like? (Glassell Park, Mt Washington, Happy Valley, Montecito Heights) I've driven past this area many times, and I can't believe how open and green it is, considering how close this area is so close to Downtown LA....(if there be such a thing)...

Jul 25, 07 6:31 pm
citizen

I work near Elysian Park, and have lived in LA for decades.

One important general observation here: what's green during one part of the year is brown for the rest of the year. Still, when it's all green.... :-D

As for the openness: for this, we thank geology. So many hills and ravines in one area is, generally speaking, going to mean less overall development. Downtown LA is located near/on the site of one of the original native Tongva settlements---where the river finally made its way around (and under) all of that geology into the flats, where settling was a bit easier.

Jul 25, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

That's interesting. Sounds like a nice place to live. Are there many interesting architectural projects in the area? I'm guessing there are still buildable hillside lots...

Jul 25, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

While there's lots of new construction going on, I'm not aware of (m)any new high-profile new projects in this area--though others here would be. As for buildable lots, I'm sure there are some; as for their affordability, that's probably another story :-/

Jul 25, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

like much of LA, Northeast is demographically segregated by elevation. rich people up top, middle class people on the sides and poor people at the bottom. Also towards the north/east the demographics shift from the working classes closest to arroyo seco/LA river towards the pasadena/la canada types.

Jul 26, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

LA is one incredible place. I have to admit, I absolutely hated it the first time I visited (no car, stuck in Hollywood, pining for Europe etc). Now, I find it completely fascinating. I've never heard of a city being divided socially / demographically by elevation, rather than proximity to a city or business center.

Has anyone observed the demographics changing in the area? The once scungee Silverlake / Echo Park are now becoming thriving creative communities, NE LA is right next store...

Could LA residents be warming to the virtues of a youthful public transport system and proximity to downtown?

Jul 26, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ah, Antipodean, LA is many incredible places, not just one.

My hunch is that NELA neighborhoods will continue to gentrify, as East Hollywood, Silver Lake and Echo Park have done... not to mention old Downtown itself.

And which LA residents? Hundreds of thousands (or more) use a huge public transport system every day--the bus network. Though hardly youthful (or satisfactory to many), the system moves huge numbers of people around the metropolis. Those folks are already warmed to public transit--and would welcome any improvements. As for young urban professionals and aspiring bohemians? Will more of them be willing to abandon their cars? We'll see...

Jul 26, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

The youthful public transport system I referred to was the Metro. The longest ride I've taken was from Hollywood to LAX...and for $3, it was a very good deal! I've seen it rumbling through South Pas quite a few times, and it's surreal...this is not the LA that you'd expect!

You're right, can't ignore the bus system though...I've noticed its pretty efficient. If I lived in LA, I'd try and use public transport as much as possible. Can I be an urbo now? (urban bohemian) :D

Jul 26, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"UrBo" -- I love it!

Jul 26, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

theantipodean

I live on the border of Pasadena / South Pasadena...It is a great place to live. I can walk all over, take the train downtown, have great resturants, great architecture (live next to some Greene and Greene), trees, hills, no hipsters

Jul 26, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

South Pasadena is lovely, and I've stayed there several times. I've heard its great for families, it has beautiful treelined streets, and we're fans of Firefly the outdoor bistro! Cutest craftsman houses too.

For us, its probably 5 years too early to live there...plus I have this burning desire to build a little house somewhere...somehow. Sadly Pasadena would be cost prohibitive...

Jul 26, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

actually, Pasadena is cheaper that Echo Park these days

Jul 26, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Really? I saw a flyer recently where a 3 bed condo was going for $800K plus in South Pas. I thought SFD would start around the million mark...seen any empty lots lately?

I just realised that UrBo could also stand for "Urban Bourgeois". Har har. According to Wikipedia, there exists term to describe Bohemian Bourgeois...BoBos...what a paradox.

Jul 26, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I would wait a while...like everywhere else, real estate in South Pas is tanking. The rental market in Pasadena / South Pas is much lower that Echo Park. I have a wonderful big apartment in great part of Pasadena (huge yard, laundry, off street parking, safe, balconies, patio) and am paying $300 a month less than a small place my bosses have in a crappy part of Echo Park.

The great thing (imo) about the Pasadena / South Pas area is that it has a stigma of not being 'gritty' enough for all the LA hipsters. It is too suburban for most I suppose. This is exactly why I like it. There arent any 'gritty' stores down the street selling $500 pairs of jeans like there are in echo park

Jul 26, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

echo park is the Beverly Hills of the east side. Apparently J Lo lives there now

Jul 26, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Echo Park has the impression of still being more latin than Silverlake and surrounding areas...maybe its just the Sunset Blvd drag. Yeah, don't know about the JLo think. I saw Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords outside Casbah Cafe in the weekend. Viva Silverlake!

I think Pasadena does have pockets of cool for the observant hipster...you just got to look harder for them. Which makes it more interesting in a way because its not in your face. Interesting about the rental market...

Jul 26, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Flight of the Conchords is great

Jul 26, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Yeah, I think they're from the San Francisco of the South Pacific, Wellington. Cool to see a couple of kiwi blokes making good in the US.

Jul 26, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: