Archinect
anchor

Freelance (I used the search tool)

sunsetsam

Before you Hijack this thread, I would like you to know that I searched up all the freelance threads from the past, But I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I came across some very interesting posts on how payment is issued (especially by "MysterMan"), But I do not understand how the architect still makes a profit.

Doesn't the architect also have to make a payment for the construction workers, engineers? If so, how does he/she decide how much they should be paid?

So can someone enlighten me on how the entire process works. You don't have to go in-depth with the architects payments, because most of the threads covered that, but how about the payments for the constructions workers, or engineers, and anything else.

Jul 25, 07 8:28 am
Bloopox

You might benefit by reading through something like a student edition of the AIA Handbook of Professional Practice.

The very short answers: no, the architect is not generally responsible for payment of contractors (what you're calling "construction workers"). Usually the contractor has a separate contract with the owner. The architect may administrate the payments, but the contractor is not being paid by the architect out of the architect's fee. The architect doesn't typically decide how much they should be paid. This is negotiated between owner and contractor. The architect may do cost estimates at various points in the project, and may have a role in recommending potential contractors, and may have a role in orchestrating the bidding... All of that depends on the architect's contract with the owner.
There are some exceptions in certain circumstances. There are also design-build projects, in which the architect and contractor may be part of the same firm or even one and the same...

The consultants (of which the engineers would be an example) are typically paid by the architect, from the architect's fee (again there can be some exceptions to this). So before settling on a fee the architect should have worked up a budget, at least for his own in-house use, that would account for the consultants' fees, and he should have outlined the project for his proposed consultant(s) and gotten a proposal or at least an estimate from them.

Jul 25, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Can't help you out with your question, but just wanted to comment on how sad it is that you had to mention that you used the search tool in your heading. Play nice, Archinecters.

Jul 25, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Re: ^ The aristocracy might get mad if you don't lay down a sacrifice to them first. Sorry, Sunset, I hope I'm not contributing to thread hijacking..

Jul 25, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox laid out a good overview, but I wanted to mention that you want to try to get as many of the consultants as possible to contract directly with the owner instead of being under your umbrella. This is for reasons of finance as well as liability.

Jul 25, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: