Archinect
anchor

MVRDV @ London

MADianito

So, why i haven't seen pictures of the MVRDV pavillion for the serpentine gallery...is suppose to be finished already isn't it??? its always built for summer time...if anyone has info and/or pictures... share!

Aug 25, 04 9:46 pm
dlb

the sequence has previously been every summer. but with mvrdv, they didn't seem to get it together in time, so it will now not happen till next year. i am sure they all have an excuse for the delay.

Aug 26, 04 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

The Serpentine gallery announced the pavilion for February. Is seems odd given the wet conditions at that time of the year, maybe it will be a completely interior experience. The formal reason for the delay is something like "MVRDV will radically redefine the concept of the pavilion" so there you go.

Aug 26, 04 4:16 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

The serpentine website now says the pavilion will open in spring 2005 so don't expect to see anything before April or May. It seems a bit strange to me. One of the best things about the pavilions was the quick design and fabrication process. Giving MVRDV a year and a half to design the pavilion seems like a bit long for such a small and temporary work. They had better "redefine the concept of the pavilion" with that much time on their hands.

Aug 26, 04 7:40 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

well seems to me that they better redefine the way their office work!...lol...well thanks for the info guys...

Aug 26, 04 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
jeremiah

The client announced a few months ago that Siza and Souto de Moura
would be the architects of the pavilion this year (opening July) as the MVRDV pavilion needed more time: it costs much more than previous ones and they still have to raise all the funds to make it (more than before); also I think there were safety issues (the concept allows people to climb to the top of the mountain) they had to overcome. But Julia Peyton-Jones is committed to realising it, and she hates to give up on anything. MVRDV did redefine the concept of the pavilion and made it more ambitious, and P-J, being the kind of curator she is, went for it despite this. Exhibitions get substituted all the time, artists are used to it..usually without any formal break clause too.

May 17, 05 5:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: