Archinect
anchor

Access to electrical room from exterior

Kuraga

Somebody knows when eccess to main building electrical room is required to be from exterior? Please help.

Jul 19, 07 12:22 pm
vado retro

it doesn't unless your electrical service is serving a number of tenants.

Jul 19, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kuraga

Can you tell me where I can read it. I
did some reading after posting this and seems like it depends on the amperage of the service and how service brought to the building. Like if service brought underground, then the room could be located insside the building. The code doesn't like when conduits are too long before they enter electrical room from exterior.

Jul 19, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Call a local electrical engineer

Jul 19, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

where do you live? i would just call the building department and ask them. they can usually cite any passage.

Jul 19, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
cf

You can cut down on interior corridor space.

Jul 19, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

call the city because no matter what the code there will be other criteria like from the fire chief.

What type of building is it? If its a multitenant retail than outside but i dont think they ever not let you have exterior access, even an office building for switchgear.

Jul 19, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

also specific criteria from the utility co.

Jul 19, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Kuraga

Thank you for responces

It is a metal building, most likely slab on ngrade; single tenant vehicle maintenance facility. There will be high electrical loads. And we are doing pre-conceptual design, no consultants yet.

Jul 19, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if memory serves you have an F-1 MOderate Hazard Occupancy Classification. I would call the city to find out what you may need.

Jul 19, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i don't recall a specific requirement to be accessible from the exterior. typically they're located on an exterior wall so they can replace switchgear without having to worry about how to get those behemoths through a building.

i do recall that 1200 amps requires 2 exits though...

Jul 19, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

... is that cause if you're electrocuted, they need a secondary entrance in case your bbq'ed carcass is blocking the primary entrance?

Jul 19, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually that happened recently at purdue. some student went into an electrical room and i guess fell into a transformer and was electrocuted. he was missing for a month before they found his body.

Jul 19, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

well they gotta give you some chance...

side note - i was working on a project at an abandoned shopping center recently, and naturally someone had stolen all of the copper feeds.

the scary part is that they got greedy and must have shorted a secondary coming out of the pad mounted transformer that fed the MDP about 5 feet away. the MDP had a hole blown/melted in the panel about 12" diameter.

must've scared the shit outta whoever did that, if they remember.

Jul 19, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
voltagedrop

"it doesn't unless your electrical service is serving a number of tenants."

wrong. i've done this a million times and you don't need an exterior access. you need to worry about clearances in electrical rooms. if you're clearances are per code, then you will only need 1 or 2 doors depending on equipment voltage. transformer dry vaults are different. you need to provide exterior access for the utility company.

1200 amps do not require 2 exits if you double the required clearance. so if you have 7 feet in front of a 1200 amp switchboard, then you only need one exit.

Nov 4, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: