Archinect
anchor

rendering shadows only in Maya?

noci

hello archinectors,

I'd like to cast shadows & caustics only on a receiving ground floor in Maya to use as an overlay in my plans, but I can't quite figure out which visibility settings to use.

in theory, the shadow-casting objects should not have primary visibility (is that correct?) while the receiving object has full/primary visibility set. I'm rendering this in Mental Ray.

any help would be apprecciated!

thanks in advance,

n.

Jul 10, 07 4:12 pm
bollocks

make sure you turned on shadows in your light

Jul 10, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
noci

shadows are on, yet none are cast from the objects.
which Mental ray visibility settings are you using?
thank you for your time.

Jul 10, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
grid

why do you need to render in mental ray? just use maya software if you want some bold, simple shadows as an overlay.

Jul 10, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
noci

I was hoping to create continuity between different images.
that is, if I light the exterior & interior renderings with the MR daylight system, it would look more like "made out of one piece" than if I'd approximate the same lighting situation with the maya software renderer. it's a fallback option, though..

Jul 10, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
bollocks

. if you use ray traced shadows (turn it on in the light attributes) then there is no prob in mray
. else be sure that you turn on the mental ray shadow maps in the light (in the mental ray tab)
. also look up shadow passes

Jul 11, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: