Archinect
anchor

Is It Just Me...

sunsetsam

Is it just me or do you also kinda get bothered when an actor plays an Architect in a movie? (especially in a crappy movie - such as.. "Enough" ..sorry ladies) Sometimes they over glamorize his or her position and make it look tacky when its a romantic movie...or is that just me ..

Jul 9, 07 6:04 pm
simples

what about brad pitt?! he plays an architect in real life!!!

to answer your question though, it's hollywood, isn't everything supposed to be over glamourized?!

Jul 9, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

ahh screw brad pitt - what a horrible actor - the only reason he got where he is, is because of his looks - his acting is so dry, even when he tries to be funny.

Jul 9, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
KEG
This

Kohler commercial is the worst offender!

"Shaki headquarters in Kioto!" uh, yeah, that's the UCSD library?!?

though I do like this version- teehee

Jul 9, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

lol "...in Kioto" my ears..and eyes are burning :(

Jul 9, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

How about White Noise with Michael Keaton? He should have stuck with Beetle Juice. Given, the whole Architect going crazy over technology wasn't too far from the truth.

Jul 9, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

err...meant Kyoto...where's that damn edit button!

I cried in Life as a House

Jul 9, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i was watching the show "on the lot"...one of the short film was about two masked ladies arm-robbing a sperm bank. one says while pointing a gun at a dude, "what do you do?"...the guy responds, "an architect" (skinny, semi long haired, has stubbles, wearing glasses, striped long sleeved shirt, etc)

so, they force him to go in the back and fill the cup...

then the two ladies bolt out of the bank scrambling...once outside, they trip on something and spills the stuff on the ground...but while they were on the ground, an athletic, muscular guy (in slow motion) is walking to the sperm bank, obviously about to make a deposit...one of the robber goes "wow, he's hot, let's go back in"...the other says, "do you think he's an architect?"...the other responds, "oh he's...definitely not an architect" in an that-is-obvious kind of tone...

Jul 10, 07 3:23 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i saw white noise with keaton...i began imagining the screenplay writing process with a bunch of dudes around a table..."for this to make sense, we need a character who's obsessive, crazy and a freak about technology"...."dude, an architect"

Jul 10, 07 3:29 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Jude Law + the guy from The Office (BBC) play architects in "Breaking + Entering". Not a bad flick ... but there is a pretty funny scene where Law is a scale figure in his own animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnSdB8DM7s

Jul 10, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe
westsider

""Westsider" is about an energetic and ambitious young man in his early-mid 20s who has just received his Masters in Architecture. After living and working on the "Westside" (that is to say, the better parts of Santa Monica, Malibu, West LA, Marina del Rey, etc.) for the past few years he has come to the realization that the only areas in life that he is willing to exist in are his imaginary boundary lines of "the westside." After telling the employers at his architectural firm that he will only work on jobs on the "westside" they immediately fire him, thus setting into motion the tragedy of the story: his descent into the pits of hell -- the Valley -- the only place he can now afford to live."

from....

to....

Jul 10, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i live near that budweiser plant...

Jul 10, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

the one visible from the 405 in van nuys?

Jul 10, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

roscoe blvd. and 405...my neighbor works there as a mechanical engineer and she gets a case of beer for 8 dollars as part of the benefit...

Jul 10, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

how can you stand the smell? That whole area of Van Nuys (or is it North Hills) reeks of hops...

I guess you just get use to it?

Jul 10, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oooooh I love the smell of hops - the old Henry Weinhard's brewery in Portland used to make the whole loft neighborhood (pre-loft-condo era) smell just delicious. So sad they sold out and closed it.

Jul 10, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i don't live that close, i live closer to doogie howser's hospital...

the hop smell is like roasted coconut with caramel to me...

Jul 10, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

budweiser must be a bunch of cheap bastards... my dad works at the miller brewery in milwaukee and everyone there gets 3 cases free every month... plus an extra case in december and the month of their birthday...

Jul 10, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

haha...I know that hospital. My friends lives off of Haskel and Roscoe and the smell just kills me- I seriously won't go to his house. I dunno, it's just one of those things- like nails on a chalkboard.

Jul 10, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

How about, " indecent proposal" (woody harrelson was the architecture professor)?

Jul 11, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I live near the Budweiser plant in New Hampshire back home. It's considerably less glamorous

Jul 11, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Richard Gere in Intersection. Ugh.

Jul 11, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

LOL... I saw that movie...yeugk..I really don't like it, when they combine a love story with an architect.

Jul 13, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

So i take it you don't like Sleepless in Seattle sunset? That's too bad, neither did I.

Jul 13, 07 5:05 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

There was also a Gap ad...or was it Banana Republic...set in an architecture firm. Architect's offices are never that neat and orderly. Everyone even looked like they had a full night's rest.

On the Budweiser side of the story, I'm near the Elizabeth plant by Newark Airport. It's not so bad though because our patented "Jersey smell" overpowers the smell of hops most of the time.

Jul 15, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Is that movie breaking and entering actually released to the public? I would actually like to watch it. But I'm pathetic and will watch any movie with an architect in it (and know a few other archinectors/archinecteurs/archinecters, et al that would do the same) <- movie producers this is an untapped genre satisfy our need/hunger

Aug 11, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: