Archinect
anchor

I have a 4-year Degree, what are my job prospects?

aphorismal

Title says it all: I'm graduating soon, I have a 4-year non-professional degree, and 6 months of an internship under my belt.  I've seen maybe 5 job postings that I am qualified for in the last month - what am I to do?

Oct 31, 12 9:31 pm
kubo

Start by applying to these jobs. :)

Just spam every firm in your city, state, and whatever country you want to work in with your portfolio and CV.

Oct 31, 12 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

doesn't matter if you have a 4 year degree or 20 years of experience.. If your work sucks, no one will hire you. Hope that's not the case :)

Nov 1, 12 6:46 am  · 
 · 
snail

I think it depends on your school, your city, and your connections. Some of my undergrad. classmates did very well.

Nov 1, 12 6:57 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Who you know gets you the job

What you know keeps you employed

Nov 1, 12 8:15 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Ya, not sure I agree with all this "who you know stuff"....

I went to a school nobody's heard of in a city that nobody knows anything about and moved to another country (who's language I couldn't speak) armed with only my portfolio, an unaccredited bachelor degree, and a CV with no previous architecture experience and managed to find work.

I'm not trying to be boastful either. I certainly wasn't the best student in my class... I just want to say that it's not impossible. A strong portfolio, a CV highlighting your ability to handle new experiences/learn/adapt, and a mature, well written and targeted covering letter can actually go a long way.

And to add to LITS' comment that "what you know keeps you employed", I'd go even further and say that your ability to learn and adapt is just as if not more important. Every office has their own standards and methods, every country/jurisdiction has different codes and procedures (or language, or system of measurements!), and software is constantly changing... Therefore it's more important not that you know how to do something, but that you can fairly quickly learn how to do something. 

Nov 2, 12 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Couldn't agree more, IamGray... A good portfolio, well-targeted and thought out applications and adaptable, self-motivated attitude towards learning at work goes quite far. I'm Canadian and I've been working in Berlin nearly a year. Didn't speak a lick of Deutsch when I first got here (and haven't improved that much to be honest...) while 13% of architects graduating FROM a German program in Berlin are unemployed. I had zero contacts here when I started applying.

Mind you, if you DO have good contacts or someone willing to stick their neck out for you... it will be much easier to find work. Through my boss, my boyfriend now has work where before they had 'no positions available'

Nov 2, 12 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

It's a harder road for sure. As most firms/job ads specifically state you need a professional degree. I belive they should get rid of the 4yr degree b/c it's so powerless. I graduated with a 4yr degree in 2009. Not one offer :-/ . But I believe it's just been a case of sh**y luck. As I know people with the same degree, less work ethic, who landed jobs.

Apply to everything you can. Talk/network to everyone you can. Always keep improving your skills.

Granted I've done all of that and it still doesn't seem to work. But I hope you'll have better luck than me. FML.

Nov 2, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: