Archinect
anchor

to those of you who are familiar w/ LA...

joh

what are you guys' thoughts on Echo Park area?

will be relocating to LA end of the summer... for sci-arc M. Arch 1.

thanx a bunch!

Jun 30, 07 11:45 pm
The Thriller in Manila

you can get good drugs and cheap hookers

Jul 1, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

training day took place in that area.

it's gotten better recently. but a downtown loft probably is your best bet for sci-arc.

Jul 1, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

the area is beautiful (especially the park itself) and the location is very convenient, especially for a commute downtown.

theres been a recent influx of hipsters from silverlake so rents have been climbing...

Jul 1, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you should move in with ms. tumbleweed!

Jul 1, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ok, I wrote a hole thing and then hit my browser back button and lost it, so here is the annoyed version...

the area is being gentrified, use to be known for gangs but as everyone is being "priced out of" areas like Silverlake and Atwater, they are moving there (a lot of house flipping in the last few years) and it's nicer. The safety/ quality varies a lot from street to street and there is great typical Los Angeles mid-century and Spanish architecture. It's centrally located (3-5? miles) from SCI_Arc, close to Silverlake, Mid-Wilshire, Hollywood, etc. but is still relatively affordable (as Los Angeles goes). Close to the 101,110,5, and the 2 it's really accesible, but it's in the middle of some of the worst traffic in LA (though all of LA is shit traffic). There is still a stigma about the name, but I think it has a nice socio-economic and ethnic mix.

To me, the most interesting part about Echo Park is that it serves as a barrier (or transition space) between contrasting areas...like Silverlake compared to Rampart. The vortex of the collision of those worlds creates really diverse neighborhoods.

Bottom line, money an issue?...I'd live there. I know I couldn't afford a loft downtown and you'll find a descent and big apartment for a "reasonable" price. If money's not an issue, get a loft downtown or move to Hancock Park.

Unless you're a sheltered mid-westerner...then..uh..move to Culver City.

Jul 1, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most everything that has ever happened in l.a. was done by a sheltered midwesterner...
[img]
]http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/Y/8/mcQueensteve.jpg[/img]

Jul 1, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dammit...

Jul 1, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Echo Park is cool. It does vary street to street at mentioned above. A number of sci-arcers live in Echo Park. A number of amazing concert venues, bars, restaurants, etc have popped up. I say go for it.

Jul 1, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

^^^ haha ....meant whole thing not hole thing ^^^

Jul 1, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
joh

thanx a bunch peeps! i'm from nyc. found something for a bit more than 800 i wasn't sure if that's a good deal for echo park.

Jul 2, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

800 for what?

Jul 2, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
joh

shared apt. one furnished bed rm. shared bthrm. laundry in the house. parking spot driveway.

Jul 2, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

sounds descent. obviously depends if its a house or apartment (can't tell from what you wrote) and how many other people you are sharing with...

Jul 2, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
joh

one other person and it's a house. the thing is... it's like online shopping. havent seen it in person. so pictures can only show so much... i should head out there thou i really dont wanna go until i move in b/f the semester starts...

Jul 2, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thats a good price if it's a house w/ only two people- It might be a little run down.

I made the decision to take a place in Philly sight-unseen (based on pics) so i understand your concern. I would say that because it's a one-off in a "transitional" neighborhood- try and come out here to look at it- to make sure your not shocked. If not, you should be ok...and remember it's just a years commitment (assuming a year lease?)...it's not permanent.

Jul 2, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I endorse Echo Parque-

Jul 2, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

haha..now your just trying to get him(?) in trouble...

Jul 2, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Do lofts downtown exist for under $1000 for a studio size, or under $1800 sized for 2 people? i'm trying to get a feel for the rental prices, but most searches usually return only the new luxury buildings that are to buy only. Can't seem to find out the range for rentals. Can anyone help me out?

Jul 3, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Echo Park is getting expensive and full of hipsters...

what is the address??? I could drive by and take a look for you

Jul 3, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

west side rentals (worth th $50 fee) and craigs list are the way to go. LAWeekly has some good listings too.

then there are still some SROs left in downtown.

Jul 3, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"Echo Park is getting expensive and full of hipsters..."

yes...

koreatown, pico and vermont/normandie are next...

Jul 3, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

pasadena and south pasadena are the places to live

Jul 3, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what about lincoln heights and surrounding "hills"? seems under the radar still

Jul 3, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Lincoln heights...if I was moving into LA, that's where I'd live. Still affordable...large places...not gentrified (yet)...really really accessible...the best views of the city.

I'd buy there if I could- get in before it isn't accessible anymore. Fix up an old Victorian mansion...

Jul 3, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

WhatToDo

I think you may be a little late

Jul 3, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

late to post (sorry.)...or late to get in before gentrification?

Jul 3, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

late to get in before gentrification

Jul 3, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

less than a 2hr drive from the city...oh, i love LA

Jul 3, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

mdler...
it's moving that way, but not completely gentrified. What i meant is that the median house is about $450k as opposed to Atwater Village @ $675k-$700k, Silverlake @ $900k, etc. It's one of the cheapest, most liveable communities that side of the hill.

Jul 3, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

mdler, big bear lake?

Jul 3, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

yep yep yep

Jul 3, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

they aint got that in NYC

Jul 3, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Lincoln Heights I like. Fuller Lofts next to Homie Depot > being redone by Pugh/Scarpa. I've heard there's a buncha low income units in the bldg.

Jul 3, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

what is low income??? Is that anyone who doesnt make less than 200k a yr?

Jul 3, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

haha, I think in downtown it was >75K. I qualify.

Jul 3, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Fuller Lofts should be pretty decent...with design by P+S and landscape by Rios, Clementi + Hale.

btw, from their site:
Homes at Fuller Lofts will range from 650 sq. ft. up to 2,650 sq. ft. and will be a mixture of flats, live/work lofts, and penthouses. Prices are anticipated to start in the high $200,000’s.

a little more...

low income?
Century provided a $1,467,000 acquisition loan for the adaptive reuse of the 78-year-old W.P. Fuller Paint Co. warehouse into 102 condominium lofts, located in Los Angeles. The developer, Livable Places, is setting aside 75% of the for-sale units for low- to moderate-income households.

Jul 3, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you buy one of the 'low income' units, can you turn around and sell it at market rate?

Jul 3, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I see my new place has been mentioned. I like it.

My roommate had some issues the first couple of days, but it seems to have all worked out.....now if only the movers would show up with her stuff, she would be fine!!! :o(

Jul 3, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I think I already mentioned in a past thread but...

I lived in EP for a couple years, like the rest of LA, it's all about topography. The low streets can be supper sketchy, but the streets with higher elevation are great. I lived on W. Kensington and it was quite nice. (odddly enough, upon moving back to Western Mass I find that one of the partners at my new office has a son living on East Kensington, small world.)

As for the good drugs and cheap hookers, you'll find more of those closer to SCI-Arc.

Jul 3, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

mdler, there are clauses that prevent you from doing that. In LA I've heard of low income reselling being allowed after anywhere from 3 to 10 years.

Jul 3, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
grid

DubK - which building on spring street is that? What are the cross streets?

I am thinking about searching for another loft. Mine does not get enough light in it and it's start to get to me.

Jul 5, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
mdler

appleseed

if you can buy for $200k and sell for $800k after 3yrs, that aint too bad

Jul 5, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

grid, it's 6th and Spring Streets.

Jul 5, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the fact that low income is $75k or less is somewhat sickening...I went to look at some shitty lofts downtown and was nowhere near quailifying for them...

hopefully I will make more $$$ in the entertainment industry

Jul 5, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles, yeah, the low incomes sell for around that, but it's much harder to qualify for low income housing than you probably suppose.

Jul 5, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

where did that $75k figure come from? I'm trying to look up the limits for LA and am having trouble finding them, but found that in Marina del Rey, "a household of four earning less than $59,200 qualifies as "low income."" Sow how could one person earning just under $75,000 qualify just accross town?

Jul 5, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

isn't it nearly impossible to get into low income housing when you are a single professional. i thought they all went to people with children and even then, your case has to be pretty extreme. Especially in LA, where we have a lot of poverty but even the "middle class" can't afford to buy housing. I can't image qualifying as a educated professional w/out a family.

This is an interesting article.

Jul 5, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it came from a few posts above...

when I went to look at lofts, I had to check the $75k or below box for income...

either way, if you are making a typical architect's salary, you will have a hard time buying unless you have a huge down payment

Jul 5, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it is also very hard to buy a place in LA when you are compteting with people you age who are making 5-10 times what you are

Jul 5, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I don't know about that, ...tumbleweed...

I thought it was San Francisco, but apparently it's in Jersey.

Jul 5, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: