Archinect
anchor

to those of you who are familiar w/ LA...

mdler

tumbles

I could see that possibly being true if you account for the 20 Mexicans living in a one bedroom apartment theory...

Jul 5, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

I actually work for a low income multi residential developer and must say that qualifying for that type of housing is pretty much impossible for people like us. Those programs are not designed for students looking for cheap rent, in fact that are designed for people who are recovering drug addicts, battered women, poor families getting off the ground, etc.

The way people get qualified is whether or not one's annual income is below a certain percentage of the Average Median Income. which can range anywhere from 35-60% of the county's AMI. The rule for students is that any management company running one of these buildings must count any income taht a students gets including any financial aid minus tuition costs as well as grants or scholarships. This added with the income/savings one uses for monthly expenses will most definitely push you past the AMI.

Another thing to note, I would say that I personally would not want to live in any affordable housing in downtown L.A., especially the SROs. if you guys are concerned about safety I wouldn't even consider the SROs.

Hope this helps

Jul 5, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so basically we fall into the damned if you do damned if you dont catagory

Jul 5, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thats true ...tumbleweed...

it's like the homeless population census...how can they really count. i just think somewhere like Chinatown in SF feels much denser than K-town feels. I love K-town tho... good rent, good food, good diversity...

Jul 5, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I don't know why one would say that they 'would not want to live in any affordable housing in downtown L.A.' The majority of both new ground up projects and rehabs have some 'low income' units in them. Yah, SRO's suck, but none of us are talking about buying into Skid Row housing.

Rationalist, where'd you find the Marina Del Rey figure? I can't remember if the Downtown 75K figure came from a discussion with a leasing agent, of if I pulled it offa the Housing Department site.

Jul 5, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

mdler, I'll be there in two weeks. Ahhhh...

Jul 5, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Apple- found it in an LA Times article from a couple weeks ago after Googling to try and find what the limits were. Nobody seems to like to list them outright, that's for sure. That was the most concrete information that popped up on my search.

Jul 6, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am looking forward to my move and since all of my living expenses for the next couple of years will be borrowed, I'm not too worried about buying anything at the present time. I am very excited about the apartment though....and despite being almost blackmailed by her movers, my roommate seems to be enjoying it already :o/

Today I had an interesting conversation with my rental insurance agent. She asked me when the building was built. "Uh....I don't know. But it's recently renovated!" I spent a few very informative minutes on the Wiki entry for Los Angeles and found out I will be living in the Old Bank District. I've estimated that my building was built sometime between 1910-1920. Not too shabby!

We're still not sure what our address is, BTW. Ha.

Jul 6, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
KEG

WK- you totally scored w/ your place- it's really neat (especially now we know the age). I think you're gonna love it!

from Rationalists LA Times article...
"A household of four earning less than $59,200 qualifies as "low income.""

it's interesting I never see single person incomes....meaning, I really don't think single able-bodied people qualify (unless there are extenuating circumstances).

and you're right appleseed. Aren't there are regulations on new housing developments that require them to have a certain percentage of low housing, so you wouldn't even know they are low income.

Jul 6, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 

I got the single-person limits for Long Beach a few years ago. I lived right next to some section 8 housing, and I called them up and asked once. The singles limit was like 25k/year, for a couple it was like 27k. Full-time students were automatically disqualified because as the manager said "it's not student housing, that's what campus is for."

Jul 6, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 
winifred

hi all.... I'm WonderK's roommate. There are still a number of empty lofts in our building as they have just finished renovating. I like living here- it is the first time I've had a dishwasher + washing machine inside my place.

I hope some more Archinectors move- pool party!

Jul 6, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

yay, Wonder-roomate! It was good to meet you the other week, BTW. Do you think you'll actually get your money back from the bastard movers?

Jul 6, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bbq at mdlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 6, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

I enjoyed meeting you as well Rationalist. I hope your bike is treating you well. I just rode mine for the first time since moving.

About the mover- I don't know. I've already filed a complaint with the BBB. The supervisor "promised" me that he would give me a full refund if I remove the complaint. If that doesn't work I'm going to take the jerks to small claims court. I documented everything and I'm angry!

I'll bring tofu & whiskey to the bbq!

Jul 6, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

I would call the BBB and ask them about that little exchange, because frankly it sounds like yet another bribe. "Remove the complaint and we'll pay you". Well, once you remove the complaint they have no incentive to actually give you the money!

Jul 6, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi roomie! Listen to rationalist....she's smart.

If anyone still needs a place to live, contact me or stratus for info about our building. That would be pretty cool if more of us moved in....

Jul 6, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

I know... I have no intention of removing my complaint unless I have a full refund in the bank and even then I will probably leave it for other consumers.

Jul 6, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I'm tired of renting.

Jul 7, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

How could you be tired of it? There's nothing to it.....what would you buy instead? Buying takes a lot more energy than renting, you know.....

Jul 7, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
joh

Hi, WK

if you could, i'd like some info about ur bldg? u can email me to: [email protected]

thanx!

Jul 7, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
joh

Hi, WK

if you could, i'd like some info about ur bldg? u can email me to: [email protected]

thanx!

Jul 7, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: