Archinect
anchor

Inside Arch - make a great thing better

Ever since I started changing jobs every year or so, one of my critical resources for sussing out the next gig has been InsideArch.org's reviews of firms from the perspective of us interns. But after almost 5 years of use, they still seem to have just as many firms and branch offices missing from the database...

only 3 of the SOM offices are evaluated
1 DMJM office even gets noticed
Eisenman is missing in action
Eric Owen Moss never existed
lebeskind is still a theory

and this is just a random sampling with half the firms searched showing up.

so why are there not more firms reviewed???

PLEASE ARCHINECTEURS- do the community a favor and fill out surveys for the past several places that you've worked. It's always better to have wrong info then no information!

While your checking into the nooks and crannies of the site, see what you can find.

Who is the worst firm to work for per insidearch.org's ratings?

Who is the best?

have the ratings been accurate and a good judge of what a place is like to work for?

ever cancel an interview because of dirt dug up thanks to insidearch?
ever negotiate a better salary?

Jun 27, 07 9:01 pm

I only recently found out about this site, but I think it's a great idea. For better or worse, the accuracy of the information depends on lots of people visiting and contributing to the site. One also has to be a bit savvy about evaluating the data; I have already seen one local firm that is effectively a one-man operation with an extremely positive review. Wonder who wrote that one, hmm? Nevertheless, it's a very worthy and useful tool, and the more people that contribute, the more effective it will be. I've already posted one report and will post others later when I have more time.

Jun 28, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Unfortunately, when I posted an honest review of a firm I'd had a very bad experience with, the principals of the firm saw it and posted bright cheery blowing-sunshine-up-your-ass things about the firm. I had been very honest: I said that they did GREAT design, but weren't really willing to teach anyone anything, weren't very concerned about keeping employees hours reasonable or regular, and were screwing people by making even the most regular employee an independent contractor. I said nothing that wasn't strictly true, but my review (but not theirs) was taken down for a period of time, until I actually mentioned the situation on archinect and the guy who runs InsideArch was on and emailed me about it. I explained and my review was put back up, but I still get angry anytime I go there and see that firm's page... because of the two principals reviews (anyone who knows them can tell it was them by the comments), they have a GREAT score.

Jun 28, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r- nothing keeps you from submitting multiple surveys... just make sure you provide memorable quotes about the place.

Jun 28, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I did the first entry on both the firm's I've worked for.

Jun 28, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
ericharch

I was just about to start a thread asking people to add more reviews to www.insidearch.org, but Barry has beat me to it (with whom I am in complete agreement).

Yes, the site in its current state is easily manipulated by a single review (often managers/principles). But this only happens because there are not enough reviews per firm to present the whole picture.

Insidearch has the potential to become one of the best career resources available to all of us for free... all we have to do to tap into is is fill out a 5 minute survey and ask our co-workers to do the same.

On a less positive note, I wish Insidearch would stop "temporarily suspending" my firms profile for "editorial review" everytime one of my co-workers contributes. Last time it was down for months!

Aug 9, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

One time during a firm interview, I brought up a couple points that I read in a firm review. The principal was curious, and I explained about InsideArch. He had no idea that this resource was out there, and since it was a smaller firm, he immediately knew who had submitted the information. I felt as if I had "outed" this former employee a little bit. So, from my perspective, InsideArch may work better for medium to large sized firms. I don't know...any thoughts?

Aug 9, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
ericharch

Gillespie, I agree. Insidearch will always be less effective for very small firms with only a few emplyees. The real benefit is with medium to large firms where it is easier to be anonymous and honest.

In this regard, there is no excuse for big offices like SOM to have only 1 or 2 reviews, or for only 8 out of about 30 Gensler offices to even have a profile on the site.

Aug 10, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 

It is definitely less effective for small firms. The firm I mentioned above was a small firm, and I know they know who wrote the review, which makes me hesitant to keep in contact with them.

Aug 10, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

they screen the comments and allow employers to comment if a negative review is given -- so buyer beware. thats perhaps why eom is not on it. most likely if you had a bad employer who was aware of the site - they would screen it.

Aug 10, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
ericharch

Negative (or positive) comments are not removed unless it is considered blatantly fraudulent or abusive. From FAQ:

"We have gone to great length to provide tools that allow both positive and negative opinions to be posted - realizing that in the long term only the most balanced set of reports will ensure the credibility of the service. We expect that, as with most opinions, a range of positive and negative ideas may be presented. To be clear, we not only allow for more than a single individual's opinion, but our hope is that any or all employees of a firm will contribute by completing their own Firm Survey. We do not withhold either positive or negative opinions. However, we do monitor responses and remove those considered to be blatantly fraudulent, abusive, using inappropriate language, or improperly insulting to named individuals." http://www.insidearch.org/faq.php

So as long as your review is professional, truthful and mature, your review should remain regardless of how your employer feels about it.

Aug 10, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

but one of those words - "truthful" - is debatable. A firm owner can complain that any review is untruthful and have it removed. It's your word against theirs, and because you submit reviews anonymously, you can't be contacted to explain your side of the story if this occurs.

Aug 10, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I still trust that firms with negative reviews have some heavy psychosis and are worth avoiding... the good firms try to never burn bridges and keep everybody sane- occasionally there nut jobs that are negative about everything, but I trust the random sampling of interns/principals filling out the surveys do reflect the truth.

you can always tell when a principal has submitted exaggerated claims/quotes - especially if there is only one respondent...

I'd love to be able to post comments on archinect's job postings. there have been a few freaky firms that made me want to scream - stay away or else!

Aug 10, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

woot, i filled one out for a former employer but im way to nervous to fill one out about my current employer, even though i would have generally positive things to say...

Aug 10, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: