Archinect
anchor

REM KOOLHAAS AND MICHEL HOUELLEBECQ FACE TO FACE IN BARCELONA

Nitropix Architecture News

The famous architect interviews the controversial writer in the symposium “TOURISM XXL. THE EUROPEAN MEGALOPOLIS”

The next July 21st 2007 in the CCCB (Center of Contemporary Culture of Bareclona) Rem Koolhaas, the Dutch Architect and Urban Planne in the phenomenon of urban megapolis over the age of globalization, and Michel Houellebecq, writer specialized in contemporary social condition related with leisure culture, will talk about the future of contemporary new societies along the Mediterranean coast as the first European Megapolis.

By the interview between the architect and the French author, they’ll try to deep inside two phenomenons that facilitates the construction of such megalopolis: the global fluxes as a consequence of popularization of low cost airlines and the increase of tourism because of Internet; the “turistification” of urban concentrations on the coast, and the re-conversion of tourist densities into urban areas.

Moreover, the two protagonists of the symposium will expose other main aspects to help on understanding the development of the Mediterranean Spanish coast, such as the new culture of urban spare time and its superposition with urban contemporary habits or the progress of new urban tribes that come from a leisure time society which have been developed in western “megalopolitans” concentrations.

Jun 22, 07 5:49 pm
holz.box

you mean former journalist / (in)famous architect, ...

i wonder if houllebecq coque-slapped rem for being an igno-rem-us

Jun 22, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
archislave

Michel who?

Jun 22, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

artefracture- a condition where a place exists solely to display its artefacts to the tourists.

Jun 22, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

I would so love to witness that discussion... whoever thought of getting them two together is genius.
Hopefully, they'll come armed with assorted props.

Jun 26, 07 5:21 am  · 
 · 
French

I think there was a news some time ago stating that Rem would be the set designer for the movie adaptation of "la possibilité d'une ile" (his last book).
If that talk was about that, I would definitely love to hear it...

Jun 26, 07 5:52 am  · 
 · 
c

whoa.

Jun 27, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 

some Content [fucking] context:

WTC III, Bin Laden II
In September 2000, the Spanish critic Galiano compared me to the writer Houellebecq, "It is not easy," he writes, "to feel sympathy for either of these bitter heroes... impossible not to feel admiration for their toxic talent." In October 2001, when I had just been acquitted of a charge of plagiarism in London High Court, my accuser compared me to "the third World Trade Tower," and vowed to bring me down yet. Two years later, Galiano, in a terrifying escalation of metaphor, admitted that he felt "the same genre of fascination and repulsion provoked in many of us by Osama bin Laden, a charismatic figure [$$$] whose lure cannot be abstracted from his ominous audacity..." If I'm bin Ladenm what is my America? Will he put a price on our heads in future issues? Should we look out for the "Dead or Alive" cover? Personally, what strikes me most about Houellebecq is his humor. And the indiscriminate tenderness he extends to all his protagonists, as they scrape a minimum of pleasure from our flattened, uncivil society...
--RK, Content, p. 506.

Jul 6, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
c

transcript available ? youtubed ? does anyone know how it went ?

Aug 6, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i know it went well, mmhhh i saw some pics at a friends flickr stream...let me look for it....
here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3478/879047065/

she said it was very good and also i heard from the organizers Luis and Silvia (from www.intelligentcoast.com and www.load.as) that it was very good and they got the lectures full and everything, and a lot of positive feedback... i will try to ask them to upload some video or something on you tube (i know they had the event documented), but maight be a problem since i suppose the footage will be also property of the CCCB at Barcelona...

if u want to ask straight from the organizers write to Luis and/or Silvia at: [email protected]

Aug 6, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
c

thanks v. much MAD

Aug 6, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
oe

wankers.

Aug 6, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

by the way, here's a fragment of the debate, published by EL PAIS, time to learn spanish guys!!
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/revista/agosto/limbo/ocio/elpeputec/20070724elpepirdv_1/Tes

thanx to sasha who sent me this link (i dunno her "archinecteur" name thou)

Aug 10, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sasha Cisar

MADianito, it's Sasha Cisar, my real name and archinect nick...
and it's "he" not "she"... :P

btw, I tried to contact the guys over load.es, but they haven't replied...
and clue?

Aug 28, 07 4:44 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmhh dunno...
i also wrote them couple of days ago and no reply, maybe they're on vacation... u know spain, summer...they're taking it easy im sure

Aug 28, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: