Archinect
anchor

Mullion material question

Thecyclist

Have any of you seen the mullions designed by H&dM on 40 Bond Street in NYC?  

I'm drawing some ideas from their fat, rounded shape.  Basically, I would like to design a mullion with the same basic shape.  Instead of being greenish-clear glass, I would like for the mullion to be cast-iron with a heavier feel.  Is there a type of cast-iron that holds up well outdoors?  I don't want these mullions to be rusty 1 year after installation.  Thanks for any insight and help!

- TheCyclist

Oct 22, 12 1:26 pm

Porcelain-coated cast iron. Good luck finding a time machine to go back to the 19th-century though.

The only supplier I can think of off the top of my head is Neolith. And Neolith, I believe, is iron-coated porcelain.

Oct 22, 12 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

James,

I appreciate your help.  If the cast iron mullions get coated in porcelain, will they lose the rough, gritty texture cast iron pans have?  Thanks for your time and help!

- TheCyclist

Oct 22, 12 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

This image might have answered my question.  It looks like they are coated, and they still have the texture I desire.

Oct 22, 12 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

That image looks like powder coated cast iron or aluminium - something like AkzoNobel's Interpon metallic coatings. Probably the weight/strength factor of massive cast iron makes it completely unfeasible for window mullions, but I really like the idea.

Oct 23, 12 6:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: