Archinect
anchor

Best Magazine for articles/reviews

standaman

It's a short list, but if you had to choose oneor two magazines from the following list to take on the subway to read, which would you choose?

1. Architectural Record
2. Architectural Digest
3. Architecture Review
4. I.D.
5. Wallpaper
6. Dwell
7. Metropolis

Jun 20, 07 9:36 am
FOG Lite

2 is a joke right?

Jun 20, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
4arch

why do we have to choose from that list?

Jun 20, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Metropolis and either ID or Architectural Review

Jun 20, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
simples

The Architectural Review and Metropolis

Jun 20, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
njp

arch review and metropolis. dwell's great for its "everyday" accessibility to modern...very client friendly!
similar thread here

Jun 20, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
standaman

those are the only ones I have access to for free at the office. As I said, I know it's a crappy list.

Jun 20, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

review

Jun 20, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Architectural Review (always first) and Metropolis

Jun 20, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Azure is good if you can get your hands on it.

Jun 20, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
fromconcentrate

Axis or Intramuros anyone?

Jun 20, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Vermonster

A+U if you're spendy

Jun 20, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

DETAIL

Jun 20, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

maybe this ones:

A10 (european architecture)
SEED (science magazine)
THE WIRE (music)
FRAME (design/architecture)
WIRED (today's cultures?)

Jun 20, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

most my reading is done on internet.

If i read magazine it is usually A+U or Detail. Metropolis is great, too.

Jun 20, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

ICON.

Jun 20, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
archislave

I won't read any of them in a subway.
but if at studio I'll go for review

Jun 21, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

Oh yes WATER.... ICON!!! (thats actually a magazine i read, great interviews and critical reviews)

JUMP, A+U i think by far is the best "magazine" of architecture right now... most serious and depth into offices... but not sure i read it too much, mostly watch the images, which is the same case as with EL CROQUIS

a arch mag i read is 2G they always have essays by the offices they review...and its always interesting...

had anyone read a VOLUME mag?? i just get overwhelmed by all the overload of graphic design, so makes it hard for me to read it... rem's style, i know

Jun 21, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 

i (third?) ICON. best of british.

Jun 21, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

er.. I thought we had to chose from the list above...

the thread "what's your favorite arch magazine" has been done a million times under different titles since v2.0 started (and a million times more in Archinect 1.0)...

you could even do a sort of statistical study on what archinecters read since 2004 if you do a search with 'magazines' in the search box.. there must be dozens of threads like that

Jun 21, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

my dear Medit... hahaha nada tio me meo contigo... da igual en esta anarco-democracia del internet joder... es mas creo ke el 80% de los threads de archinect se han repetido mas de una vez...que mas da, unos van otros vienen, es mas facil inicra uno luego que ir y buscar, estamos en la era del usese y tirese... nada un saludo viejo

and from the list above i keep I.D. the design one and the mitic british one.... how many magazines in the world have the same name??

Jun 21, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

penthouse

Jun 22, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

for reviews MARK or Arch Review

the others are just great architectural magazines esp 2G and A+U, El Croquis too

Jun 22, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

This is a trick question! Reading a magazine on the subway would keep my hands occupied and unable to touch people inappropriately...

Jun 22, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I take #2 because I hate sitting on dirty subway seats.

Jun 22, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Review is fantastic--if you have access to a free copy by all means read it first! I love Detail, wish I could afford it too. A+U and El Croquis of course. Those are probably your top arch-centric mags.

Jun 23, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Metropolis.

I also recommend Domus if you can get your hands on it.

Jun 23, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Dwell is fun and light to read. And more importantly you can find it almost anywhere

Jun 24, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

so far, nobody mentioned 'architect' magazine. for a reason of course... i concur. all those advertising dollars going onto a receptionist area.

Jun 24, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

nobody mentioned PLAN either.

Jun 25, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

haha standaman "as I said I know its a crappy list" no you never said that....until after words.....

Jun 26, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I miss Architecture magazine... it was affordable and had some nice stuff in it, nicely laid out too, I think. I must say though that I'm not as disappointed with it successor, Architect magazine, as I expected to be, however.

Jun 26, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: