Archinect
anchor

ARE multiple-choice correct % to pass?

bfunk

Does anyone know the % of correct answers on the multiple-choice divisions of the ARE that merits passing?
70%? 85%? I have no idea.
I'm not sure if this is even published information.
NCARB's website didn't address the issue. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 07 11:12 pm
montu

80%

Jun 17, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
montu

120 questions +-

Jun 17, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
bfunk

thanks.
where's this published?

Jun 18, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Frit

I don't think anyone outside NCARB knows for sure what the cut-off is for passing. I'm curious where montu got his information.

Jun 18, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
simples

for what it's worth, from AREForum.org -FAQ (hope it helps):

The ARE is graded using a “cut score” or “Modified Angoff Method,” in which a panel of experts periodically determines the appropriate cutoff. The pass threshold is not published. (...) “NCARB has stated - in an interview [with] ArchVoices - that the questions are in fact weighted by difficulty. So it is not a strict percentage issue.” (...)
The “Cut Score Study” in which a panel of NCARB-certified architects evaluate the ARE and establish “pass” and “fail” usually occurs every five years[1], with the last in early 2004. During that study, score reports were delayed and communication between NCARB, State Boards, and candidates was poor to non-existent.

Jun 18, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Translation: You will never know how we grade this, what it takes to pass or why you failed . . . nor will you have any idea how long it will take us to grade it.

Jun 18, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

as said above, there is no real way to know for sure since NCARB is so secretive...

if you are hitting 75-80% on the practice exams then you will do fine...

Jun 18, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

I failed the structural once and they will tell you which areas of study you have to learn more ie; load calculations, soils, I think the cut score is usually 70-75%.
Look, you either pass them or fail, either way, it ain't no rocket science and you can never guess how to calculate. There are a lot of curve balls built into these tests, such as non-graded questions, variable points on answers, national average point and so on.
I'd like to infiltrate into the organization some day and take some micro-film shots of the docs...

Jun 18, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
bfunk

agreed.

all: this has been very helpful.
all i can do is aim to do my best,
and if its not good enough try again.

life will go on
and so will the projects i'm working on.

Jun 20, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Watermelon

Yea I think the Qs are waited differently. I swear I failed many exams and i passed them all. I heard that the points are worth 1 to 5 points so dont freak out when u get 20 1 points wrong Qs. the worrying thing is like the lotto...........HEY!...U NEVER KNOW!

Sep 13, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: