Archinect
anchor

Software for the business

thakopian

I have been thinking about which software Architects/designers can learn to be of greatest use for employment and how well you should learn it before you are competent/useful.

My list:

AutoCAD 2012+

Revit 2012 +

Adobe Suite CS5+ - Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign

MS Office - excel, outlook, powerpoint

Sketchup

3DS Max

V-RAY, other renderer?

- Potentially:

ArchiCAD

Vectorworks

Google Earth Pro (GIS features)

Primavera

AutoCAD Civil 3D

Ecotect/Energy analysis

Video Editing software

Rhino

Any other useful industry software to pick up or is in demand? Some of it can be specialized like ArcGIS.  Then there are computer skills like knowledge of HTML or managing web traffic which can be used for a business operations. Some of the software like Revit, have many features like parametric families, BIM management and detail drafting which can be learned separately though are important for understanding the software productively.

Any thoughts as to what else can be useful?

Oct 19, 12 2:59 am
thakopian

Btw, has anyone ever tried or heard of the Autodesk Simulation tools: Robot Structural Analysis Pro, Simulation Mechanical, Simulation Multiphysics?

It looks like Revit's interface with systems which look like Mathematica-type analysis. I have never heard of them until just recently. For Engineers only?

Same with Navisworks or is that more for Project managers?

Oct 22, 12 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
cmbpanes

Is Project Management Tool efficient in handling projects? or if anyone ever heard of it?

Feb 20, 13 7:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: