Archinect
anchor

purchasing a 1950's *pending heritage/landmark* home in Seattle...

accesskb

Hi,

A relative of mine is looking into buying a 1950's home in Seattle.  It was designed by architect James Chiarelli.  I've never heard of him but apparently this house is pending to become a heritage home/ city landmark.

All that aside, I was wondering how would one ensure that the wooden home is structurally sound and good for purchase considering it was built in the 1950's and never been renovated much aside from interior walls?  How can one check for structural problems, leaks, proper insulation along walls etc?  It seems almost impossible to find these problems without having to rip out entire walls to check. 

Also, would anyone have knowledge about heritage homes?  Once its been approved by the city as a heritage home / city landmark, are the owners allowed to tear parts down, renovate as they wish etc?  Does this status increase or decrease the value of the home at all?  Do the owners have to open the place up for public tours etc?

thanks

Oct 16, 12 7:19 am
won and done williams

1. Hire a home inspector

2. Check your local historic designation restrictions/requirements

Oct 16, 12 8:27 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Details of allowable work on "heritage" homes vary by jurisdiction.  Many city governments post their code on the web; take a look.  Also, search the website of the city's HPC (historic preservation commission, or similar name).  Call the building department, too, and talk to a senior plan-checker if you can.

Many times, restrictions are limited to building exteriors... which means interior work can go wild, more or less.  But, of course, this can mean no additions, or other severely limiting restrictions.

Then again, sometimes the listing is largely symbolic, with few restrictions.  Again: research your local situation.

Oct 16, 12 11:06 am  · 
 · 

You might find some of these posts helpful from Seattle-based Build LLC. They do a lot of building new on existing foundations so their posts are geared toward that end, but you might find a few helpful tips.

A Guide to Updating Mid-Century Modern Homes

10 Reasons to Reuse an Existing Foundation

10 Things You Should Know About Reusing an Existing Foundation

Potential Property: Value vs. Risk

Oct 16, 12 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I used to own a protected historic home. Inside do anything you want. Outside requires approval from historic district commission. Easy to get approval if you are sympathetic and know what to say to get approval :)
Aug 19, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Hope your Relative is your "Rich Uncle",  Mid modern restorations can get expensive in a hurry. 

Aug 19, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You might want to take a look at this web page.  It might be helpful.  It is not his personal house that they are looking at as it does have some nice photos of the entry and the back yard.   http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation/designation_process.htm

Aug 19, 13 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I redid my own Seattle mid-century ranch in 2006 for $35/sf. That includes gutting the whole house out (except only the kitchen), total re-wiring, total re-plumbing, all-new HVAC, extending the dining room, and some structural work. So it is possible to do it on a budget.

The landmark thing complicates matter though. If it's listed, modifications have to be approved by the landmark board, and that can take time to sort out.

Aug 19, 13 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: