Archinect
anchor

Hourly bill rate for drafting

nwenso

If a guy were to agree to draw up a set of CD's on the side, in which most of DD has been developed for a 3500 s.f. bungalow, what is an approproate hourly rate to charge. The CD package would include basic FP, EL, SC, DT, Elec, and some Int. Elev. in Texas. I have seen varying rates.

Jun 8, 07 12:17 am
KEG

3500 sf "bungalow"? That's pretty big. Isn't a bungalow usually a small, single story, single family home?

just wondering :)

sorry I can't be any help on the billing- I don't have enough experience. Assuming you work at a firm, what is your billable rate? Maybe that can be an indication of what you should charge...

Jun 8, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
dookie

Hey buddy, how's it going down south. I can't wait to get back, and make my way to the Chicken.

Jun 8, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

For side jobs, mostly unclaimed income, I get anywhere between 30 and 60 an hour. If I'm doing some side work for a friend or coworker, it's on the low side. If it's freelance work for a company, it moves closer to the high end. I also charge for my printing expenses, so if they want 10 sets, I take that into consideration too.

Jun 8, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 
nwenso

No doubt... the cold lone star lights await. Still going to Aspen?

Perhaps I should say craftsman style as opposed to bungablow. It is basically doing CAD monkey work, freelance. Thanks.

Jun 8, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I do sidework drafting for $50-60/hr if I'm going to hide it and not claim income. Plus, as Chili said, any expenses like prints, etc.

I also always present it as:

Client: What is your rate?

Me: $60/hr which is very reasonable.

Client: Yes, it is!

Not sure if it is very reasonable, or if they would know how reasonable it is, but people seem to like to agree.

Jun 8, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

It also depends on where you are. In a region that's flush with income (the Bay Area, say, or LA) I wouldn't hesitate to charge $70/hr.

But if you're in Topeka, KS, that won't fly.

Jun 8, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 

depends on if the guy (is it you? You can admit! We won't tell anyone - honest. No seriously is it you?) is expected to finish the drawings himself completely

Jun 8, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Would you be the architect/designer? Or really just a draftsman?

If you're acting as designer on the project, your rates should go up.

Jun 8, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I charge slightly less than my billing rate, because I don't have the overhead of my firm; but I charge enough to make the extra work hours interesting to me. I don't really discount my services because I believe that the value of my work to one person should be more or less the same as the value of my work to another; i.e., it speaks for itself. I also use the Craigslist phenomenon as my guide: if you list something for free, no one will respond to your ad. If you list it for $10, you'll get offers within minutes. People in many ways rate the value of goods simply by their stated cost, and it is important not to undersell yourself, as you only lessen the value of your services in your client's mind.

Of course, don't oversell yourself either; we have enough arrogance in this profession making a bad name for the rest of the herd. Typically however I find that architects are too eager and willing to give themselves away for free, hence my counsel above.

Jun 9, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I agree with meta--it won't be brainless, especially as it sounds like you will be developing all the details (the tough part).

Also, are you serving as arch. of record? Are you stamping these drawings? If so, you seriously need to charge commensurate fee as you are taking on all the liability.

Will you have anyone reviewing the work, or does it rest 100% on your shoulders? I think you need to tell us a little more.

Jun 9, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sounds like a permit set which don't require that much of a brain. even i can do em.

Jun 9, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I charge $30/hr for just drafting, and my latest client didn't even blink an eye, so I'm thinking I'm very low. But I'm definitely going up if I keep working for people who draft by hand only and then I put them in cad. No dimensions makes it very long and tedious hours since I usually have to scale everything.

Jun 11, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

1000$ pre-structural maybe

post negotiate based on revisions as well as after the city red lines it

depends on many factors of course

Jun 12, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

WhatToDo - I was taught in ARCH Hist II that the Gamble House was considered the quintessential Bungalow. I don't know if you've ever toured it, but it certainly isn't the typical 1100-2000sf Bungalow that most people think about. You should go out and see it sometime, or just watch the original Back to the Future. It's Doc Brown's house.

I always charge $30/hr. for small side projects up here in Lubbock. But I'm also still in school and obviously not licensed.

Jun 12, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: