Archinect
anchor

perforated polypropylene

heterarch

has anyone used this before? considering it as a cost-effective alternative to stainless steel, but I'm concerned (as with almost all "cost-effective alternatives") that there may be significant quality/durability/aesthetic drawbacks.. so if anyone has used this before, especially as a design element (vs a purely utility oriented element), please let me know.
Thanks!

Jun 7, 07 8:50 pm
monkeyboy

hi het, long time no chat. didnt you end up going to COlumbia?

In what context are you using the poly? I have never used it in a project but had it spec'ed once. Ended up using the cheap plastic corrugated roofing from homedepot.lowes. Thing you have to make sure with if you are using it on an interior aplication is whether it meets fire code. That is if you are using it on a wall/ceiling covering. I am not sure the corrugated stuff i used met code (technically it didnt because the sepcific test was not done to it to make it usable). But i used it anyway, since half the stuff in the project probably didnt meet code.

Jun 12, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

yep yep monkeyboy. graduated a year ago (msaad=1 year), then moved out to LA. coast to coast like a ping pong ball...
the context is/would be a security screen in front of a very utilitarian mechanical shed. the screen is meant to act as a gesture towards the nearby neighborhood and hopefully prevent them from blocking the project.. so fire code wouldn't be the issue (though i could see me being interested in using it as part of an interior sometime in the future on some other project..), more about whether it stands up to the elements (as it's supposed to) and all that..

Jun 12, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Plastics tend to buckle in the sun. Use a slotted connection to allow the plastic to move in all directions. I'm not totally familiar with your exact material, but I'd find out the expansion properties first.

Jun 12, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

thanks stuntpilot, that's the sort of effect i'm concerned about.. i've encountered that sort of thing with other plastics before. according to mcnichols and other sources online this particular material is supposed to buckle, expand/contract, and fade less than other plastics, but only someone who's used it in that sort of application would know for sure. it's looking like it may not be a concern on this project now, but as i said before, it's something i've been interested in in the past and will likely try to use at some point, some day.. thanks!

Jun 12, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

are you looking at McNichol's PlastiPerf material? I ahve been waning to use that for years. Make sure it wont change color on you from UV.. and I dont know if you have seen a sample, but there are tons of little shavings/burs attached to it from the hole creation.. look like the drilled or punched it. I asked if there was a way to get it off and they said they didnt know of a way... SO you may want to check on that. Let me know if you come up with a solution. I could use it myslef on the inside of my place.

I justr finished my two years at Stevens - product architecture lab in hoboken. We shoulda had lunch while you were here.

Where you working in LA. You can email me if you dont want to make it public.

Jun 13, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: