Archinect
anchor

burningmans job

design

This is the kind of place he works at:

http://www.historicalconcepts.com/

(throws up in mouth)

he's a real architect, making big things happen in 2012.

sell-out..

May 10, 11 10:01 pm
design

i cant wait til i can pay off my gargantuan loans from Umiami and sell my soul to classical architecture

May 10, 11 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

<grabs popcorn>

May 10, 11 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Louis Kahn, is this the kind of place he works at, or the place he works at?  

If it's the latter, you're about to get banned.

May 10, 11 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

what is wrong with building historical buildings?

what you don't like Monticello? 

May 10, 11 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

what's wrong with this firm's work?  for historical pastiche, it's pretty good.  

louis - weren't you trained in the beaux-arts?

May 10, 11 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

I understand that doing this kind of work can be viewed by some as architectural kitsch but if it was great architecture 200 or 300 years ago it is still great architecture today. And there is nothing wrong in doing this work. I would love to build the Hampton Plantation house from the web site; what a great learning potential these types of projects present . 

May 11, 11 12:12 am  · 
 · 

Actually, I might necessarily not even call this one pastiche since its architectural flair seems to be genuine. Columns that don't have seems, shutters that work, properly assembled tin roofs, building fronts that aren't entirely false, balconies that can be used, windows with real muntions. And the buildings are even decorated on the backside even if only minimally!

May 11, 11 2:49 am  · 
 · 
burningman

Awww, another sci-arc lover who can't stand anything with a little history in it. Louise Kahn was trained by Schmuck, and follows the mass that went to sci-arc to NOT become architects.

How about I trade in my architect license to be an artsytect. What if next time, I just put in one of these fancy sci-arc designs in my urban park.

Where's that toilet paper?

May 11, 11 10:18 am  · 
 · 

I think you guys are getting all tempest-in-a-teapot about this, but I admit "artsytect" is a funny descriptor - I'm surprised I've never heard that one before.

And as J.James points out, a working shutter is actually a wonderful thing, no matter how it looks.

May 11, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Heck, I'll even take non-functioning shutters as long as they're sized correctly for the window.

May 11, 11 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

I'd take the neoclassical pastiche over the hodgepodge of modern-spanish-casual-classical architecture that's been thrown up all over my state.

It's like someone drank a bunch of beige-colored wine coolers, ate a dozen sheets of Styrofoam and then downed a whole bottle of Ipecac traveling down the interstate at 88 miles per hour.

May 11, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
design

burningboy is the roy cohn of archinect

May 11, 11 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
design

he is just trying to be like father Duany, you must understand. And in line with the family he doesnt really stand for anything! hahahaha!

so to get attention and attempt to stand out from a mediocre education, he attacks our schools, our art, our profession, and exploits division in architecture, which have always been here. its a career going nowhere right before our very eyes!

May 11, 11 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

J. James R., you've just described most of the residential architecture in the southeastern US ---- i'm a little futher north in the region, so the sputum contains a lot of red brick, too         i had a zealotous colleague explain to me one day how the classical proportions as given us by vitruvius and palladio are actually the proportions given to us by god and to design in any other way is a moral affront ---- scary ------ i hear so many things here that make me recall the line from Absolom, Absolom where Quentin Compton is in tears as he learns of mix of horror and beauty that is the deep south and he keeps repeating to himself, "I don't hate the South, I don't hate the South, I don't hate the South..."

May 11, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"i had a zealotous colleague explain to me one day how the classical proportions as given us by vitruvius and palladio are actually the proportions given to us by god and to design in any other way is a moral affront"

Next time explain to him that Zeus is too busy shapeshifting and having sex to care that much about proportions.

May 11, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, that was always my excuse for not knowing the proportions of the Classic orders, as well.

May 11, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

Just because I like Monticello, doesn't mean that I should replicate it over and over again.

Using a classical dialogue is seldom appropriate today when designing architecture. Just as if you were to walk around speaking shakespearean today, people would not think you were too cool. Dork. Its about progress. We have a much more efficient way of communicating now.

May 12, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

OMG LOL u R ssooo RGHT. PLZ GUYZ, LTS NOT TLK BOUT IT. AMRIGHT? K. TTYL.

May 12, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

LOL OPHELIA IS TOTES BITCH. 2 DA NUNNERY.

May 12, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

BRB GOIN 2 WL-GRNS, NEED OXYCLEAN. P-LOWS BLOOD IS EVRYWHR.

May 12, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

UGH G2G L-DIZZLE IN THE DRIZZLE, CLAUDY BE ALL OVA MAH JOCK

May 12, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

SHIT PIRATES.

May 12, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

MY BITCH DROWNED. HAVE 2 FGHT LATTY-BOY WIF MA SWORD.

May 12, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

FUCK FUCK FUCK. POISIN EVRYWHR. MOMS DEAD. FRIENDS DEAD. S'OK. MAH BRO FARTIN-BRAS WLL B KNG, SOON.

May 12, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Foursquare update: Hamlet has checked in at Death.

May 12, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Really?....that's what you're most worried about?.....classical architecture all over the landscape....really?...not the diarrhea that's actually built most everywhere?

You've watched "The Fountainhead" one too many times.

ps: and please, please, don't appropriate the name of a great architect, dead though he may be....you're not worthy (and I don't even know you, but I know that much).

May 12, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

v. funny plugnpla n jjamesr           ------           tell me, is Death a Cliffs Community?

May 12, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Speaking of making fun of people.  What happened to DisplacedArchitect?  He had the most absurd comments ever.   Maybe he changed his screen name.  Do y'all remember him?

May 12, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Emilio, Louis Kahn sucks!

May 12, 11 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

The architect not the archinect

May 12, 11 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

How would you know, you weren't even there.....

May 12, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, this thread got old-school funny.  I love it!

May 12, 11 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Seriously though, do you guys remember DisplacedArchitect?  I miss him

May 12, 11 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

Louis Kahn why don't you play nice. Or show us something you designed or built lately...

I will admit those aren't the most cutting edge buildings but they are at least "traditional" and better than many contemporary McMansions...

May 12, 11 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think being traditional counts as an automatic good thing, nam.  lots of stupid traditions out there.

as terry pratchett humorously points out, sometime an old lady with no teeth is not actually wise and filled with earthy wisdom but instead just old and ignorant.

but anyway in this case looks like nice work to me.  what's the argument about?

May 13, 11 5:10 am  · 
 · 

very true jump.i guess i was just trying to say these buildings seem to at least be contextual in sense of a sort of "traditional" regional vernacular....

May 13, 11 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: