· 

that's where i'm checkin' first, too!

Jun 1, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

darnit. not there.

Jun 1, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
postal

you know what's crazy, it's not at the chicago public library or the library of the art institute of chicago...which is pretty remarkable...
(the art institute does have it in german though...hmm... and has what seems to be every other photo/article/blurb/interview by beuys)

Jun 1, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hmmm....is the archinect book club going to get a red dot?

*clears throat* archinect?

Jun 1, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Why not pick one of the free online books from 010 Publishers?

Actually, I'm more interested in finding out how global this free offer via google/books really is. Is this available to European web users? South American web users? Asian web users?

Now I really don't regret selling my copy of METACITY/DATATOWN on eBay. I love using the screen save command.

And don't worry, this is not an indication that I'm joining the archinect book club.

O, the virtual sachlichkeit of it all.

Jun 1, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

I just got a copy of SMLXL...after years upon years of begging

Jun 1, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmmm. interesting idea... let's help drive the price of architecture books up!!!

i'm wondering if there will be the opportunity to read other writings on bueys simultaneously to give a better perspective? or is that to "against the grain" of ABC?

Jun 1, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Great idea, but I have a lot of reading on right now...

Jun 1, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know - I could bear parting with some of the books I own. Granted there are some dumps in there that I've tried reading more than a dozen times still to no avail

Jun 1, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

This is an awesome idea! I'm in! I'm in favor of not restricting the books to architecture, but leaving it open...

But a good book club needs a format, like each time a different person choosing the book, etc... Usually a book club has people meet up in person, so it has a definite beginning and end and then the next book is chosen for the next meeting... It's a bit different logistically on a discussion forum...

How about, starting with Stourley's pick "What is Art: Conversations with Joseph Beuys", whoever chose the current book does the following:

1. He/she chooses the book.

2. He/she chooses the date that the discussion will be launched.

3. He/she starts a different thread on that date, labels it the book title, and links to that thread from this thread... This thread remains the *out of context* book club thread. The reason being, once a discussion has been started, it's good to leave it open ended, people will keep coming back to that thread to talk about books that are no longer the "current book"... This also leaves this thread as an ongoing discussion that links to all of the individual book discussions... And this also prevents this thread from getting cluttered with a million people talking about different books, since if the thing takes off, after a few books, people will be lose track of what book people are talking about... Also, there will always be a month or two where you miss out on a book.

4. After the date that the discussion is launched, he/she nominates somebody who participated in that discussion to be the next in line who gets to choose the next book. The person nominated should normally be somebody who has not been nominated before. That person can choose *any book* that they are interested in, although they can get feedback from people too, typically that's what this thread will be for, talking about the next book choice... Or if they want, they can always pass off the choice to somebody else... The other rule being, the book has to be easily obtainable, it can't be an out of print rare book. Anybody who is not interested in the choice can opt out until the next time around... But it might be fun to see what people come up with... If somebody chose a Daniel Steele book, maybe some people would be like, WTF!?! but then again, it might be fun to see what kind of discussion archinectors have about a daniel steele novel... The discussion will probably tie back to architecture somehow...

What do you guys think?

Jun 1, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I think bRink is bRilliant! Seriously, great ideas ;o)

Jun 1, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
aml

Stephen Lauf: thank you so much for that link! yes it does work here in south america, and will be much abused by me from now on.

Jun 2, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i didn't catch the link, but i have seen the google site. on the fence about the system. kind of archaic to scroll, no? but then again, so is my dial-up...

Jun 2, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Brink, that is awesome! So perhaps just a quick head count of who is in this time around and what date we should set to be done with the 1st section or book would be of assistance?

Jun 2, 07 3:36 am  · 
 · 
cornellbox

Vado: RE: Omnivore's Dilemma: yes, that's it (at least as far as I've gotten).

It looks like my library doesn't have a copy, either.

What about a few of us shipping copies around to a couple other people to increase the spread of people reading it, without everyone needing to give Amazon their 20 bucks?

I also like the ideas that bRink put forward for organizing and operating this. I think those are very good guidelines to begin with.

I'd suggest allowing at least a week from the announcement of the title to the beginning of the discussion (and maybe even longer). After all, it's going to take some time for people to locate and acquire the books and then have the time to read them as well. (Real life can be so troublesome at times...)

Maybe as soon as Stourley kicks off the discussion, the first thing should be handing off the baton to the next person, so a book can be chosen and people can start working on getting that one for the next round.

Is a pace of one book a month going to be reasonable? More? Less?

Jun 2, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 

aml, your welcome. If you haven't yet, check out Design and Analysis--looks like a really good primer. Also, the selection of essays within Back from Utopia looks good. Personally, I hope to someday read all of Architecture Goes Wild.

holz.box, you sound a lot like the doubters I often encountered 24 years ago who were "on the fence" about whether CAD in architecture offices was a "viable reality" or not. I've been doing a lot of research utilizing google/books for several months now, and the offering are always getting better. Do I wish I could also download the pdf files and/or easily create my own text files from the offerings? Sure I do. But, you know, this is just the beginning.

Jun 2, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Stourley, since you started the thread while reading it, and it sounds like a few people have already ordered the book, how about we start with "What Is Art", and in the meantime you can nominate the next person... Like cornellbox suggested, I think starting the next book in line might help people be able to get the jump on acquiring the next book early. What is Art? sounds like a good start, people might have other interests, but it's up to the chooser...

How about we set a standard for the deadline. How does a month sound?

Jun 2, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah bRink, we are starting with "What Is Art" and the process I proposed puts Steven Ward in the batting circle, for the next round. The order can be random or it can go in the order of the posters here, I personally think the later, if only so that no one feels compelled to pick someone and if that next person in line doesn't want to do it, it can fall to the next one and so on...

Jun 2, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Okay, sounds good! I'll pick up a copy later this week.

Jun 2, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...uh, that would be "In the on deck circle.."

Jun 3, 07 6:10 am  · 
 · 
o d b

maybe we can put together an ABC mailing list, so that when the next thread is started we can all be notified, and we can receive +official+ notices of what the next book is, when the thread is up, etc.

Jun 3, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm in, but I prefer brink's method of picking new book-pickers. (As a book-club veteran, it seems like it would solve some problems.) But no matter. I also agree with allowing people to pick anything they want--as a community of like-minded peers I can guarantee the books will self-select to be worthy choices.

One month sounds good. How exciting! Great idea, Stourley!

Jun 4, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I can pretty much guarantee, that is...

Jun 4, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

any update on this? was ist kunst is at our museum library and can be copied so i'm in even though i already know the answer. i'll make a copy for you too lb!!!

Jun 9, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha ha, you already know the answer! awesome, this book club is gonna be good.

Jun 9, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm in too! i will find the book somewhere this week!

Jun 10, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi stephanie :)

Jun 10, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

i would also like to join this party, i will get the book tomorrow. when is it due?

Jun 10, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Let's say everyone should have book in hand by the 17th of June. Fair? Steven, do you have a book in mind that everyone can start to look out for in the meantime?

Jun 10, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i just ordered my copy from AbeBooks which is an excellent non-amazon option! there are loads of copies up for sale there.

Jun 10, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

whoa that's a little early, i'm still waiting on my copy, as i think others are too. that gives us only 1 week including shipping time. can we have 2 weeks? no need to make this as stressful as my job.

Jun 10, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

2 weeks.

Jun 11, 07 5:03 am  · 
 · 

ooo! ooo! here's my chance!

of course the temptation is to get everybody reading a book that i already think is impt and that everyone should read, but that's not really the point, is it?

i'll get back to ya.

Jun 11, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

im gonna photocopy as it will only cost 11 bucks and i am cheap. then i'll make lb a copy for free (i have my methods)

Jun 11, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
postal

...do you have the diabolical method of the PDF as well?

Jun 11, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
toroid

my copy arrived today - how are we doing?

Jun 13, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

man, I am *still* waiting on my copy!!!! I will be stopping by Prairie Avenue tomorrow for something else though, maybe they have it in stock.

Jun 13, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

June 24th is the deadline to have book in hand.

Jun 13, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I ordered the book, but it didn't arrive in time... And now I'm out of town for a few weeks, so I guess I'll have to join in late... I should have the book July 1st...

Jun 14, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
bRink

beta, when you launch the discussion, can you start a new open ended thread? that way any of us latecomers (or slow readers) can just join in on the discussion at any time...

Jun 14, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

so, the lazy postal workers of america haven't delivered my book yet. damn them to hell!

i hope it arrives today because i'm leaving on a redeye to philadelphia tonight, and i'd love to bring it with me.

oh well.

seriously though, wtf? i ordered that thing over a week ago.

Jun 14, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
postal

hey, be nice to us postal workers...

Jun 14, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I wonder if there are issues with the distributor for that book...

Jun 14, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

went down to the indianapolis museum of art on this rainy saturday and copied all but the last chapter and have started reading. its funny they don't let ya check the book out but you can photocopy it and put it flat on the copier and fuck the spine up (if you;re not careful that is.) the book looked as if it had never been opened.

any ideas on how to have a discussion? find a common place to set up a chatroom or just let it rip on here?

Jun 23, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i should be getting my copy on monday!

Jun 23, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

copy arrive a couple of days ago.

no thanks to the aforementioned postal workers. i joke i joke.

will crack it open tonight, me thinks.

well..me hopes.

Jun 23, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

harvard didnt have it, so i had to ask for it from another school. it just arrived i will pick it up on monday morning.

Jun 23, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

maybe i should ask vado to mail me a copy of his copy... the only copy i can order around here has 3-4 week lead time and costs $30.

Jun 23, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: